Is the name Zane too harsh sounding?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Boy's names are proving very difficult lately!

Topping our list is Zane Jeffrey. I think it goes well with Scott and Wyatt b/c it's short and to the point. I love names like that, but they are hard to find b/c they are usually too popular (Max, Jack, etc).
Does it sound too harsh though?

Totally opposite Zane is our #2 choice, Grayson Alexander. WDYT of ths one? Is it too trendy to go with Scott and Wyatt? We like the nn Gray.

Some other contenders are Grady, Lance, Lane, and Tobias nn Toby.

What's your favorite?

Any other suggestions?
June 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Sarah Elizabeth's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Sarah Elizabeth
Zane is not something I would ever consider, but I don't think it's awful. Though, I would much prefer it as a nickname for Zachary or the like...

Grayson Alexander I really like. I usually don't go for surnames as first names, but Grayson has that old vibe to it that sort of makes it a neat choice. I like it, and the nickname Gray. Alexander balances it out well. I much prefer this to your other combo.
June 4th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really like Zane with Scott and Wyatt because they just don't have the same kind of "feeling" to me (except for being short). The long A sound is becoming very trendy. He won't have the same name as the other boys but it will sound alike when it's called out (James, Aidan, Mason, Isaiah, Jaden, Braden, Caden, Hayden, etc are all near the top of the list and all have long a sounds ... it's everywhere). I do think Zane sounds pretty harsh, too, but then names like Zach do too.

There are lots of boys' names that are short and strong, but you're right, they're usually very popular. There are a few that are less common, though. I'm just going with one and two-syllable names to give some examples.

Mack
Chase
Garrett
Chad
Quinn
Miles
Luke
Chaz/Chuck
Ike (nn for Isaac, maybe?)
Gus (nn for Angus, August, or Fergus)
Shane (very similar to Zane)
Zach/Zack
Lex (nn for Alexander?)
Reid

And weren't you considering Rhett at one point, or am I thinking of someone else? I think it falls into the same category.

I think to have the same feeling, you're looking for a name that ends in a strong sound, like the hard T stop (in Scott and Wyatt). Most of the names on that list do, but those are just the ones I could think of. There are more, I'm sure. I think the one that goes best off your existing list is Lance, and I think Grady works with the nn Gray, so it doesn't have to be Grayson just for that nickname (I do think Grayson sounds pretty trendy with Scott and Wyatt).

Boys' names ARE difficult! I'm starting to consider myself lucky that DF has two he insists on. Otherwise it would be horrible, because neither of us would be arguing in favor of anything. It's too hard to find one you like.

</div>
June 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks to you both and Thanks for the list.
Mack - we have Mack on our list, but aren't sure about it esp since our last name ends in a ck sound.
Chase - have a bad name association
Garrett - like Garrett, but won't use b/c strongly dislike nn Gary.
Chad - have cousin named Chad.
Quinn - nice, but there are so many girl's named quinn, aren't there?
Miles - i always think of rose from golden girl's boyfriend miles, so its hard to see on a baby! lol
Luke - best friend who is having problems TTC claimed this name
Chaz/Chuck - Chaz is interesting...chuck is nms
Ike (nn for Isaac, maybe?) - like Isaac, but again, our last name ends in ick sound.
Gus (nn for Angus, August, or Fergus) love August. its on our list. dh isn't so sure
Shane (very similar to Zane) - can't warm up to
Zach/Zack - i really like zach, despite its popularity, but dh doesn't at all
Lex (nn for Alexander?) - interesting
Reid - cute! do have a 2nd cousin named Reid...hmmm
June 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I like Zane. I think it's very cute and goes well with your boys' names. I also like Gray, but not Grayson.

I like Zane. I think it's very cute and goes well with your boys' names. I also like Gray, but not Grayson.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM
blessedLILbumblebee
I luv the name Zane. I know a lil boy named Zane, it fits him very well.
June 8th, 2007, 09:47 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Zane is not too harsh sounding to me. I think Grayson, Tobias and Zane are all good names. Lane is ok, Lance and Grady are NMS.

Don't worry overly much about matching this one to his brothers. Scott and Wyatt have the double T ending but to me they are otherwise not all THAT similar to each other, so whatever the third's name is, I'm sure it will sound perfectly natural. Especially once you have mixed them all up for the 100th time lol.

My parents named 4 kids with the same initials, well let me tell you by the 4th kid they were grasping a little just to find a name that fit their own rule and did not sound completely out of place with the others. We got a Keith, Kyle, Kory, and Kari. Kory and Kari are almost too much alike IMO and they started changing C's to K's just to fit with the older 2. My parents would go through all the names before they got the one they wanted and just say "Whoever you are, you know who I'm talking to!" So there is a drawback to having "matchy" names.

June 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I may be a *little* bit biased, but I love Zane!

I think it goes pretty well with Scott and Wyatt; they all have that traditional but slightly unique feel to me. Even though Wyatt and Zane are just now becoming "acceptable" as baby names, they've been around for a very long time. My youngest is named Zane Abraham after his great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather! He's 4 1/2 now, and the name fits hime perfectly (of course). Of all my children, Zane's name is probably the one I'm most pleased with because of the strength and originality.

Lots of luck with your decision!
June 9th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
I LOVE the name Zane!!! Very cute... and will age well!
June 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM
flutterbylove's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to flutterbylove
Don't really like Zane, Toby, or Lance, but I do love Lane, Grady (and Grant is a possibility too if you like that), and Gray.

Good luck!
June 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I love Zane.
It sounds very masculine, but I don't see it as harsh.
June 10th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Rylin&#39;s_Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Zane....It's Just too futuristic and outer spacey to me!
Grady is too much like Gravy.
Tobias??? not sure where that came from. Toby is a cute little boys name.
hmm..maybe some names like..

Corbin
Russell
Mason
Jackson
Reese
Jonathon
Lucas
Tyler
Brody
Brayden
Ryder