Golden

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My grandmother's maiden name was Golden. I think it is the coolest last name, and have never met anyone else with it.

I really want to use a family name for each of my kids' middle names. Just recently I took a vacation with my grandma and we really bonded. I got to know her a lot better than I ever did before, and our relationship is very solid now. Plus she is 83 years old and even though her health is ok, that could always change...

Well I've been thinking of honoring her by using her name as the mn for a girl. But I don't love Margaret lol. The thought occurred that I could use Golden. Anyone have any opinions on that?

Also my last name is King. Sometimes King is a PITA because you can't use anything that is/sounds like a real word, or anything that forms a word, and names that end with N or K aren't so great either.
Is (my current top choice) Corinna Golden King too over-the-top?

Thanks for your help in advance, I really trust you girls.

June 23rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I love Margaret!

IDK ... with the last name King it sounds kind of funny. Golden is an adjective, King is a noun. It would sound like she's supposed to be a golden king. I think it would be great to use it, and great as a girl's middle name, but I'm not feeling the sound you get from it (with King).

What about hyphenating it or using two middle names? Like (just as an example) Corinna Golden-Renee King. Then it wouldn't sound like you're naming her "Golden King", kwim? Or maybe use grandma's middle name as the second middle name. Or even her first name (modified), like Maggie, Daisy, Greta, Gretchen, etc. There are lots of diminutives of Margaret and lots of different forms from different languages.

I think finding a second middle name (and hyphenating them if you don't like having four initials) to break up the "Golden King" part, or using a form of Margaret instead of just plain Margaret (or maybe using her middle name), would be good options.

</div>
June 23rd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Julka
I agree Golden King sounds a little weird... it could pass ok for a boy's name, IMO, but for a girl not so much... king is a little on the male side, and if you stick golden infront of it, it just puts more emphasis on that. Maybe like the previous poster said, give her 2 middle names, first being Golden, and the second being something more feminine.
June 23rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I agree that two middle names would go better w/ your last name then just Golden. But I think its a lovely idea and a really cool name!
June 23rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I was worried about that. King is a much harder last name to match to than someone might think. It is pretty strongly masculine, too short, seems to rhyme with everything and is a noun on top of it all. Oh and there's the fun little habit it has of making regular names into action verbs... like Joe, Jack, May. There are sooo many names I have considered and tossed aside convinced that it does not sound good with King.

I may still keep Golden in the running because of the family connection... and because for a girl (I would only use it for a girl) she will likely change her last name at some point anyway.

June 23rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I like it! I honestly didn't get the whole "not with your LN" argument though. It flows very nicely on my tongue.
June 24th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Quote:
I like it! I honestly didn't get the whole "not with your LN" argument though. It flows very nicely on my tongue.[/b]
It's not because of the flow. It's because the words "Golden King" together, an adjective and a noun, seem to form a phrase. A kind of pretentious-sounding phrase to include in a child's name, at that.

</div>
June 24th, 2007, 07:31 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I like it myself. After all....how many times is anyone going to use her full name anyway. And like you pointed out....she will likely end up having a different last name anyway. I say go for it! It's a beautiful name, and a great way to show Grandma just how important she is to you!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
June 24th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I like it! I honestly didn't get the whole "not with your LN" argument though. It flows very nicely on my tongue.[/b]
It's not because of the flow. It's because the words "Golden King" together, an adjective and a noun, seem to form a phrase. A kind of pretentious-sounding phrase to include in a child's name, at that.
[/b]
Ah, see. I had honestly not even noticed that until it was pointed out.
June 24th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Ah, see. I had honestly not even noticed that until it was pointed out.
[/b]
I didn't either until I typed it out! It's not really obvious but I thought it sounded really weird once I did notice.

</div>
June 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I'm sorta in the same situation as you, Kyle!

I love my grandma's last name and none of her relatives are living anymore. I want to change my last name to her maiden name which is Lucas. I know I could just use it as a kid's middle name, but I don't like it for a first or middle name, just a last name. I'm thinking of legally changing my last name to her maiden name and hyphenating my children's last names aswell as mine.

Corrina Golden flows well, but with King is does sound like a phrase. I would use Corrina Golden-May/Mae King...
June 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
How about another form of Golden?

My grandma's name was Goldia (pronounced Gold-ah)... and a lot of people just called her Goldie. I love Goldie but DH won't go for it.

GL!
June 26th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I understand the whole 'Golden King' thing but honestly I think it's fine. I mean yea it sounds alittle strange but if it has family meaning I would use it personally. Its not like you are naming her Golden King (as the first name), it just happens that your last name is a noun. Plus like you said, she'll most likely change her last name at some point. I would use it!

June 29th, 2007, 12:18 AM
bently's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to bently Send a message via MSN to bently Send a message via Yahoo to bently
oh man...I absolutly Love it. I think it sounds great, and it is a very strong name. and strong names make for strong people. and like you said. she will be changing it and again, nobody ever knows anybodys middle name......and it would melt your grandmothers heart.

I think you should definitally go for it.

i like it alot, and i dont tend to find alot of full names i like.

good job!

-

-

Bently & Nick
June 30th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I understand the whole 'Golden King' thing but honestly I think it's fine. I mean yea it sounds alittle strange but if it has family meaning I would use it personally. Its not like you are naming her Golden King (as the first name), it just happens that your last name is a noun. Plus like you said, she'll most likely change her last name at some point. I would use it![/b]

ITA!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search