When naming a baby

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to Pnutsmomma
sometimes couples,moms,dads forget that you arent suppose to care what other ppl think.
pick the name urself
when we were trying to name our child everyone thought that their opinion mattered and it didnt
i even had my mother in law come up w some CORNY names
and i was like"no"
you can suggest to give u ideas but not to tell u what to name them,does that make sense?
and sometimes (i learned)if u like a name and you give it to someone else,they get jealous and say its an ugly name and when they have their child THEY name their kid the name u wanted!
so forget everyone
if they wanna name the kid for u,they can sure as heck come in the middle of the night and change diapers etc
lol just my two cents

o yea i have seen some posts here where ppl say that certain names are ugly yet when i look at their kids names,they arent so flattering
so c'mon ladies be supportive to one another.
June 25th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
then why run it by other people on the internet if it really doesnt matter what others think?
I think people DO care, at least the ones asking for input. Some care, some dont. They arent asking for support or for people to agree, but rather input and honest opinion

June 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe everyone on here knows and would agree that ultimately it doesn’t matter what other people think, only that the parent(s) love it. However, when people post on here and ask “WDYT?” or want opinions on names, people are honest and give their associations of the name, whether they are good or bad and that might hurt or offend some people. Nobody wants to be told that their names are terrible, which is why I’ve never posted “WDYT?” of my DD’s name recently (though ironically, someone on JM actually ended up naming her when they suggested the MN Madelyn).
June 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
What was the point of that?

This is the babynames forum, you ask for advice and we give it. Whether you like our advice or not, it's just us helping you.
I do not think that this was needed. If you don't want our opinions, don't ask for them.
June 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM
BrownEyedGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
What was the point of that?

This is the babynames forum, you ask for advice and we give it. Whether you like our advice or not, it's just us helping you.
I do not think that this was needed. If you don't want our opinions, don't ask for them.[/b]

Ditto!
June 25th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Julka
Quote:
o yea i have seen some posts here where ppl say that certain names are ugly yet when i look at their kids names,they arent so flattering
so c'mon ladies be supportive to one another. [/b]
A name is a total matter of your taste, and what's a beautiful name to one person may not be to another, it's just taste. Like they say, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". I haven't really seen anyone here specifically say a name is ugly but rather say "it's not my style" which is a honest and respectful answer. And many people here do care what others think, that's why there are so many "wdyt" topics started. Some people might hear a new name or a different name and want to know how others perceive it, nothing wrong with that. And usually it's completely mixed up responses because we all have different styles and different tastes.
June 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People ask because they do want opinions. If I don't want them, I don't ask. There are several names I haven't asked about because I know I'm not changing them no matter what anyone says. When I'm not sure, I ask.

I figure hearing it from someone else here is better than hearing it IRL. If I was planning to name my kid Seymour, I'd rather let someone online tell me it's a bad idea than announce the name to my relatives and then hear all the "Seymour Butts" jokes. If I was planning to name a daughter Francesca Ann Thomas, I'd appreciate someone pointing out what the initials spell. Etc.

And I'm sorry, but I think saying names people already gave their kids are bad, without being asked, is very rude. Even though you don't specify anyone. I understand you said it to make a point but that is worse than the kind of thing you're going on about.

</div>
June 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I'm sure that you meant well w/ this post, but this is the baby names board where you ask opinions. Everyone here knows that when you put your name out there, you aren't necessarily going to get all nice comments back. Everyone has different opinions and styles when it comes to names, and what may be ugly to one person may be beautiful to another. Some poeple that post "wdyt" topics don't necessarily let what the others say effect whether or not THEY like the name, they're just curious as to what others think of it.
June 25th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
There is a big difference between stating your opinion and saying something like "I hate that name" or "OMG, please do not name your kid that" Be polite, if you don't like it, say "I don't care for it" or "it's not my style"

I personally don't care if people don't like my future child's name. In fact, I would be extremely turned off from a name that everyone loved.

She's correct in the fact that you should name your kid what you like. Unless it's something truly strange, people will get used to it. You have to remember that a child will not be judged on their name, they DO have personalities after all.

Just my 2 cents...

« Drea | Baby Names | Willem »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search