Is popularity an issue at all

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM
IrishMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes.
I love the name Michael, but the only reason why I wouldn't use it is due to it's popularity.
No offense, but I teach and there have been hundreds of Michaels in my classes over the last 19 years.

June 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Jaime's Avatar Veteran
I grew up with a very unpopular name that was spelled unusually - Jaime Lee. I hated it. I could never buy anything personalized, everyone ALWAYS spelled my name wrong, every award or diploma I ever received was spelled Jamie. I decided that my children would have names that nobody could ever misspell! As for popularity - I always thought this was a factor, but I think it's trendiness that bothers me more.

My daughter's name is Casey which isn't popular at all. She'll be 2 next month. My husband has had his heart set on calling his son Jake. I loved the name as well, but decided against it because Jacob is so popular right now. Well, if this baby is a boy, I've decided to surprise him in the delivery room by telling him that his name will be Jake cause I've been dead set against it for a whole year now, and when Casey was born (we didn't know the gender then either).
Sure, he might be one of a few Jakes or Jacobs in his class, but it really means more to DH to have a son named Jake than the popularity factor means to me.

PS - DH's name is Jason so he knows about having a popular name and it never bothered him.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFXiaBU/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 30th, 2007, 01:34 PM
blessedLILbumblebee
I never thought popular (or trendy) names would affect my name choices until attending my niece's "summer concert" at school. She was lucky enough to be the only Madelynn, but her class had 3 girls named Madison, 2 named Mia, 2 named McKenna, and 3 named McKenzie. I couldn't believe it actually. I really don't my child named something really popular or trendy.
June 30th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Super Mommy
A little. I wouldn't choose anything in the top 10.

Matilda was #88 on the year my Millie was born. That level of popularity I'm comfortable with, as it's not very likely she'll end up with 5 other Matildas in her class at school.
June 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, popularity IS a consideration. I automatically eliminate any top ten name for sure. After that, I wouldn't discard a name on that basis alone, but it does factor in. My first choice name for DD (Elena) wasn't in the top 100, but DH nixed it. Oh well. Maybe next time. We agreed upon Anna, which isn't exactly uncommon, obviously. She will meet plenty of Annas, but she still has a decent shot at being the only Anna in her class at least.

I loved growing up with my uncommon name (Rosalie). It's not a strange made up name, but it's very rare that I ever meet anyone with my name. It's familiar sounding to most, so it's not way out there as rare as it is. I have so many Jennifers in my life, though, that I have to specify which one I'm talking about all the time. Cousin Jennifer, College Jennifer, Georgia Jennifer, ets... All of them hate their name, so I at least wanted to avoid the super common ones.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
June 30th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Bently-- You asked where you find the popularity list? Well a really great website is the social security webpage. Go to google and search for "baby names". You should see it in the top five. Go to popular names by birth year and it will give you the list. You can see the top 20 all the way to the top 1000. Have fun!

July 1st, 2007, 01:58 AM
Sarah Elizabeth's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Sarah Elizabeth
Popularity doesn't bother me so much as if the name is trendy/classic. Eden, for example. It's getting popular, but it's trendy. It just popped out of nowhere(it will become dated in the future). A classic name like Elizabeth will never become dated and it's forever a solid, timeless can't-go-wrong choice, so it doesn't bother me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search