Is popularity an issue at all

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Does popularity have an effect on the names you choose for your kids?

June 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Oh yes, especially for a girl.

Have you ever met a Linnea or a Dahlia? I'm sure you've met a Violet, but I'm still keeping it.
June 27th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I try to go for names that are not common or popular

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

~~Lisa~~(40) Mommy to Jenna Justine 20 years old and Peyton Keely Born December 28th,2007
June 27th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is. I would rather not have a name be popular but if it is my favorite, I'm not going to settle for a name I like less just to avoid having a popular name. Hence, my DD's name. I would have preferred Lily (which is still pretty popular) but my DH doesn't like Lily and I didn't like his top choice (Regan) so we had to compromise and we both love Emma. So, that's how she came to be Emma. But, the popularity bothers my DH much more than me.
June 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popularity is huge for me. My name was #14 the year I was born and several similar ones were also in the top 100. I hated it so much.

Most of the names I'm considering aren't even in the top 1000! If I love a name though, and it's in the top 200, it automatically goes on the middle name list. If it's between 200 and 1000 it just depends on how much I love it.

If any of them jump in popularity and end up in the top 100, they'll be taken off the list.

</div>
June 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Popularity is huge for me. My name was #14 the year I was born and several similar ones were also in the top 100. I hated it so much.

Most of the names I'm considering aren't even in the top 1000! If I love a name though, and it's in the top 200, it automatically goes on the middle name list. If it's between 200 and 1000 it just depends on how much I love it.

If any of them jump in popularity and end up in the top 100, they'll be taken off the list.[/b]

I had the opposite experience. I knew NOBODY my age named Ann ever. I got made fun of for my name: "You have an old lady name!" So, I always kind of wished I could blend more into the crowd but now I like my name, so it's all good.
June 27th, 2007, 10:03 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
It used to, but not really anymore. I do try to stray away from overly popular names but if its one I really love, I'm not gonna pass it up because of how popular it is.
June 28th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popularity is one of the biggest turn offs when it comes to a name for me. I really don't want my child to go through 12 years of school being known as Emily A.
June 28th, 2007, 07:37 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Afraid so - I really wanted to name my son Jack after my Mum (Jacqueline) - but it's been number 1 in New Zealand for the last two years, and I know we'll be going home in a couple more years so I couldn't bring myself to do it. It's on the list for a middle name instead.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
June 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Super Mommy
It's really an issue for both hubby & me. I only ever had to deal with one or two other people with my name in school and twice since I started working, but it's bugged me. My hubby has at least 4 friends/co-workers with the same name. Like a previous poster said, I don't want my kid to go through school/life known as (first name) H. So whenever we see a name we like, we check the popularity lists to see where it falls...if it's in the top 100 we drop it.
BFP April 12th! #2 is on it's way!

June 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
Most of the names I like aren't very popular but If I love it enough I'll use it wether it's #1 or #1000 Noah being an example of this..it's very popular but I love it enough for it not to bother me.
June 28th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to WhitneyP
Def. affects my decision.
I loved Conner and Christian but they were both way too popular.
June 28th, 2007, 07:27 PM
bently's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to bently Send a message via MSN to bently Send a message via Yahoo to bently
oh ya, Popularity I hate. I would never like everyone else said want my child to be called Tim C. But my name was Bently, and growing up was hard, but i tell you what it makes for a stronger person. I mean i couldnt even pronounce my name till i was 5. (Bentwee)

But how and where is this POPULARITY LIST everyone keeps talkin about??!

-

-

Bently & Nick
June 29th, 2007, 07:02 AM
jewell_diva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Have you ever met a Linnea or a Dahlia? I'm sure you've met a Violet, but I'm still keeping it.[/b]
I do know a Linnae, but she's the only one I know! It's spelled exactly like that, and pronounced "lin-NAY," and she is my neighbor's daughter. My cousins middle name is Danae... and I think that's pretty, too!

Yeah popularity is DEFINITELY a factor for me... I guess my daughter kinda has popular names... I admit I have heard of boys named Emery, and well we ALL know Grace is popular right now, but it wasn't really when my sister was named Grace 18 years ago. Also, I've never heard of it being hyphenated with Emery! We aren't even going to talk about the MN (Maria)... that was an ultimatum of my hubby. It's my MIL's name... its darn good thing I LIKE her!

I love Delaney even though it's popular, but the DH was NOT having it... I would still consider it for a MN only, given its popularity.

For a boy, I LOVE Madden, and we were considering Canaan (from the Bible) as well. I think Diego is an awesome name, but then I realized that was Dora the Explorer's brother. DH has already decided that our first son's name will be David Beckham Santos... LOL! I said I might work with "Beckham," but we're not using BOTH names.

DH and I both have kind of unpopular names (Noelle & Isai, which is Spanish for Isaiah), and we have enjoyed this... we want the same for our kids!

</div>
June 29th, 2007, 07:14 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Have you ever met a Linnea or a Dahlia? I'm sure you've met a Violet, but I'm still keeping it.[/b]
Actually, I have met a Linnea (sold cars with her at Saturn) and a Dahlia (my mom's coworker's daughter), but no Violets! All three are awesome names though.

As for the OP, popularity does affect my name choices. But trendiness is even more important to me. I'm more likely to use a name that is in the Top 100 but is NOT trendy (Elizabeth for example), than a name that's totally made up and part of a trend but not seen often (like... McMadysyn LOL).

June 29th, 2007, 08:23 AM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like names that are common, but maybe not in the top 5. My DS name is Alexander. Common enough, but not the most popular.

June 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I'm Sam, Sadie's Mommy!!!
Popularity is definitly an issue. The most popular names in my area right now (as I assume in many areas) are Kaitlyn (2 close neighbors have named their daughters this!), Isabella, Grace, Hope, and Faith. I have a feeling, by the time these kids get into school even Kaitlyn H. isn't going to be enough and they'll have to be called by their full names! I typically like names that are a little different. DH doesn't (his top choices are Erin and Meghan so not exactly uncommon) However, if there were a name I truly, truly loved and felt very strongly about and it were very popular...I'd go with the name.
June 29th, 2007, 07:35 PM
m.and.a
DH and I both have Top 5 names from the 80's, so popularity is important to us. I've yet to meet another Ada, although I hear about granddaughters all the time named Ada. I'm concerned it'll be the new Eva or Ava in a few years. DH really wants to name this baby Micah if it is a boy, which I think it also coming a little trendy. We don't consider any names on the top 100. A friend of mine and I were talking about this the other day. She said she wanted her son to be able to buy personalized key chains and the like. I was never able to buy personalized stuff because the 1billion other Amanda's born in the 70's and 80's got there before me.
June 29th, 2007, 08:15 PM
mdc2007's Avatar Regular
Popularity is somewhat an issue for me. My daughter's name is Rachel Cheyenne Elizabeth Keve.
Yes, she has two middle names. Her father and I couldn't agree on just one.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search