My family...

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
My family is making fun of my name choices. My mom says she will call Dahlia "Dandelion", and I don't know what to do.

Should I change it to reduce family jokes or should I hang in there and let them change their minds as I get bigger?

I really love Dahlia, but right now the only nickname for it I have is Dahl (like Doll), my mom said if I called her Dahl, she'd call her Dolly (which I hate). Linnea, which is my second choice for a daughter and my mom said she loved. I want the nickname Lina (Lee-nuh) to call her informally. My mom says she loves Lina and wants me to just name her Lina, while my sister says Linnea (Lynn-nay-uh) sound like Shananay (Sha-nay-nay) from Martin. When I told them that Emilie and Juliet are Dahlia's middle names, mom said "Why don't you just name her Emily, it's in English.", she also laughed at Juliet and said she'd get made fun of.

She always teased me about Julian being a wussy name and how he'd get beaten up over it. Now she wants me to have a boy just so I won't name it Dahlia. What would you do? I'm feeling really hurt and very emotional.
July 5th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I'm sorry that they are treating you this way. I would say that you should just name your kid the name you like. Who cares what your mom wants to call her. Are you really going to be around your mom all the time? Once you have the baby, you can make it clear that her/his name is set and no nicknames will be allowed. I think they will be more understanding once they know you're serious. A little off topic--I actually knew a Linnea, but she pronounced it Lynn-EE-uh. Anyway, I definitely think you should take into consideration their opinions, but when it all comes down to it- all that matters is what you think!

July 5th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
Aww Mel I'm sorry they're saying such nasty things but I have to agree with Melissa, name your child what you want...They're probably just trying to get you to change the name...once they get used to it they will stop. They will be too in love with the little one to want to tease him or her
July 6th, 2007, 04:30 AM
m.and.a
I think all your names are lovely. I love them actually, especially Dahlia. Name your kid what you want. This is why many people wait before sharing their names with family... It's much harder to make fun of a name when that name comes with a baby and that baby is asleep in your arms. Tell your family it isn't up for discussion. People usually hate my names and I tell them to be glad I don't get to name their children.
July 6th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is your child and you should name him/her what you want. I think your mom has a valid point about the Doll/Dolly nickname but if it doesn't bother you, then who cares? Your mother had her chance to name her kids and now it's your turn! I know it's hard but I would try to not let it get to me. Looks like a long way to go until he/she makes his/her appearance. I think I'd stop disucssing them with my family all together... I love Linnea by the way. One of my favorites. Congrats as well!! I didn't know you were expecting. I just thought you liked names.
July 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jdee0509
dont worry, not EVERYONE is going to love your name choices! But when your baby is born, they may look at the name differently, like automatically like it just because it fits the child.

I like Dahlia, its not my fav but I like how you dont see it too much

July 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
MegC's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MegC
I like both of the names you've picked out. However, I have also decided that if you're not prepared for people's opinions then you probably shouldn't tell them the names you have picked out. For some reason, people think that once you tell them the name, it's their job to pick it apart and tell you how horrible it is. I'm guilty of doing it...I flat out told my best friend that I hated the name she'd picked for her daughter because it was too over-used and if I had a dime for every child I taught with that name, I wouldn't have to teach anymore. But we're best friends and we can do stuff like that. It didn't change anything, she kept the name anyway. I live both names and I think you'd do well to go with either one. My only question is will the name Dahlia age well?

Your mom and sister will get over it once the baby is here.

Meg:-)

</div>
July 7th, 2007, 01:15 AM
ladyellise's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ladyellise
I would go with whatever names YOu like, I wouldnt pay attention to other peoples opinions, it's your child
<div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search