aarrgh my mother

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM
smiles2_4's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to smiles2_4 Send a message via Yahoo to smiles2_4
My mom can be so frusterting sometimes....
O.k. I'm currently 6 months prego and my husband and I are having a difficult time picking out names. I have two children already named after my side of the family and thought that it was time to name this one after his side. SO his grandmothers names are Elise and May. I thought I would put the two together and name it if it's a girl Elise May and my mom without thinking says "The kid will be known as the Cow named Elise May and I just really hate that name" HOW RUDE....
But hey I gotta love her even if she is rude sometimes.

<embed src="http://babystrology.com/tickers/baby-ticker-glass.swf?parent=Ruby&year=2008&month=5&day=20&bab ycount=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="120" height="180"></embed>
August 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Veteran
Is the name Elise (E-lee-se) or Elsie (El - sie)? Cause Elise is a beautiful name (although my husband doesn't like it, or any other name as far as that goes) But Elsie May is actually my Husbands Grandmothers name, cause I offered to name our little girl kinda after her with Kelsie, but he didn't like that either. I love Elise. I have learned that it can be best to not tell anyone the babies name until the baby is here and has the name, cause they are less likely to say anything rude. I now I had a list with my son that I was trying to narrow down and sent it to a couple friends and family via email, and they all responded back which one they liked with the exception of my cousin and she said something rude that hurt my feelings.

I have been struggling with names with my husband and was at my family's house and mentioned a few new ones and they said that sounds like a boys name, or I dont' like that. So I told them it isn't for discussion, I am not going to tell anyone until she is here, and no one but me has a say in the name. As you can tell I was very hormonal and hurt. I am sorry, sometimes people can say insensitive things and we are a bit more sensitive than normal.

Also maybe she said what she did since you are using a name from his side instead of yours this time.

August 24th, 2005, 12:06 PM
zoey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Elise May. Its beautiful!

Moms can be such pita (pain in the #####) about names. My husband said we aren't telling anyone the babies name until its a done deal. We already picked out 2 boy names and 1 girl name, so we are all set.

That way people don't tell us why not to name them those names, and ruin our excitement. But it will be hard, because Im really excited about our names. I just have to remember, chances are they wont like its best to wait.
August 25th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Veteran
I also love the name Elise. I hadn't thought of that name in a while, and I like uncommon, but not wierd names. That's beautiful. My mom has tried to suggest different names that I don't like but hasn't criticized anything. Why would people do that? I don't really like telling names that I'm thinking of either, although I do, because I hate to see even hesitation if people don't like it, and it's really not their business anyway.

I loved the name RaeAnne, but because it's different, people hesitated and that bugged me. Not enough to change my mind, I'm not using it because once I found out I was expecting, it just didn't "fit" this baby. (go try and figure out a pregnant woman's brain - it could even still be a boy) I always thought we'd adopt number 3 and this is my adopted daughter's name, maybe she's still out there for me somewhere, just as number 4!!

Baby Sister of Lindy and Garrett!
August 25th, 2005, 10:51 AM
dansgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think sometimes Moms/Grandmothers, etc. forget that we are a different generation than them. Obviously the names are going to be different. I totally agree with not telling family members names (althought it would be hard!) until the baby is born so opinions are not formed. My cousin had a little girl named Kelsie Belle, (which IMO is adorable) and my grandmother said, "Oh that poor child" (!!) I think they just forget that new names are going to come up, and they need to be more open-minded. When I was telling my mother a couple names I picked out (different ones, but not really unique or anything) she kinda made a face to suggest she didn't like it. I asked her if she really cared what Her mother thought when she named me. She responded, well of course not! So that kinda brought things into perspective and she stated that no matter what the baby's name, she would love it to pieces!
August 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
My SIL had that problem. She ended up not telling anyone what name that they had picked out. Her name(SIL) is Annaliese Kristine, but we all refered to the baby as Petunia while she was pregnate. The name they picked out was Elsa Annaliese after SIL great grandmother and herself (as well as her mother and grandmother). Annaliese is a family name. Every girl on his mother's side has Annaliese as a fn or mn-except ours when we have them.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

August 25th, 2005, 04:03 PM
jaylynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elise is an absolutely beautiful name. I love May too.-Jamie
August 25th, 2005, 04:08 PM
CyprisLuv's Avatar Super Mommy
I know how you feel about your mom being a pain in the bum about the name you wanna use! lol. No matter what name I come up with, she finds SOMETHING wrong with it... but then she comes up with all these names... and I just don't like them. So... I'm guessing she's just gonna have to deal with whatever name I pick out.

August 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM
mom2LyricStoryLegend's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2LyricStoryLegend
I think Elise is really pretty and I definitey wouldn't associate that name with a cow!! Don't worry what other people think, it's your baby!
August 25th, 2005, 09:24 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think Elise May is adorable!!! I know shes your mom, but who cares what she says(unless its positive feedback) Lol-good luck!

August 25th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Jinxcat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Elise is an excellent name. Here is some background (so NOT a cow name). Beethovan wrote FÜR Elise (translates to For Elise) a song to a girl he was in love with. She never returned that love and For Elise is known to be the all time hymn to un-rewarded love. When Elise heard the song Beethovan wrote for her she said that it sounded like a funeral song. But when Elise died, they found the song in her possession. So I don't know how much farther from a cow you can get. Hope that helps.

Love the name ELise!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search