Something ive never understood...

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why do some people give their child a FN and MN but call the child by their MN?
This just doesnt make sense to me, surely at school and everywhere other than home they are going to be called by their FN? Unless you tell them not to, but people will still call them by their FN because you assume thats what they go by, as its their FN! I dont know, it just seems like alot of unnecessary fussing and correcting people. Why give your child a FN that would dont intend on using? I know a fair few people who do this but ive never asked why, i think i may have to. If any of you can shine some light on this for me, that would be great lol.
September 10th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's pretty common in the south, at least in my area. It used to be more common throughout.

For example, my aunt is Mary Ellen Lastname. She's called Ellen. They gave her the first name Mary to honor the Virgin Mary (very Catholic family), but there were already five Marys in their family (as happens in Catholic families). So they called her Mary Ellen or usually just Ellen.

Another case is to honor a relative or your family in general. Sometimes the first baby was given the mother's maiden name to honor her family, whether it was a boy OR a girl. So the child might be Smith Elizabeth Jones. She would likely be called Elizabeth instead of Smith. They put Smith first (instead of naming her Elizabeth Smith Jones) because if her middle name was a surname, potential suitors (and other people in proper society) might think she was already married, or even divorced (gasp!) or widowed. In the case of boys, one of my friends is Charles Adam, called Adam, because he was named after his grandfather (also Charles) but the family didn't want two men called Charles.

Those reasons aren't really expressed nowadays (a lot of people do it "just because"), but that's pretty much the old reasoning. A lot of people (myself included, it's just how I was raised and what I'm used to!) think giving a child a FIRST name in honor of someone shows a lot more respect and admiration than giving the kid a MIDDLE name in honor of someone. I guess because everyone does see the first name (as you pointed out), whereas they don't see the middle name all the time. I agree that in this day and age, it does seem more convenient to just use the first name you want to call them by, but everyone I know who does it gets along just fine.

</div>
September 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM
3girlz4me's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
if i have a boy it will be
Thomas John
Thomas after my FIL who passed away John after my hubby.
Hubby did not want a jr.

BUT we would call him Johnny or TJ Not Thomas .
But like the other poster stated we would be naming him in honor of a family member. In school i would put his full name but let them know he goes by Johnny ect..
it is not really a big deal, and i know alot of people that use the MN as the main name.

September 10th, 2007, 12:11 PM
RahRah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RahRah Send a message via Yahoo to RahRah
I totally agree with you!

I guess I understand the reasoning, but I still don't understand the purpose. If I'm gonna call my kid Bob then his first name will be Bob, not his middle name

To each their own I suppose!

September 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
Yeah but if you are honoring a family member who's name is John Bob, naming a child Bob MN is not at all the same as naming them John Bob. And if you name them John Bob and the other John Bob is still around then it gets confusing calling them both John, thus the younger one usually goes by the mn. Dh's grandfather is Jack Lewis, he goes by Lewis because it was also his fathers name.

September 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I think most people do it as a way of honoring a family member or something.

I was actually thinking it would be cool to name my son Preston Ryder and call him Ryder, but then he always has Preston to fall back on (which is a name I also love) if Ryder doesn't fit him anymore if he's in the professional world, etc... My husband didn't go for that idea, though

So if I did it, it would be for a reason like that.

September 10th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Lady Moonlight's Avatar Freddy and Sammy's Mommy
In our family, it's also about naming after people. My son is Frederick John after his grandpa, but we don't call him John. We call him Freddy and his Papa is Fred. BUT, DH is Edgar Kenneth 3rd. He's Kenny and his grandpa is Ken, but his uncle is Ed. Also, his other uncle is Nick who is Nick 2 and his son is Nick 3. That gets a bit confusing though.
If we end up having another boy in the future, we're naming it Edgar Kenneth 4. I think we'll call him Ken as well as I'm not too fond of the name "Ed". That'll be REALLY confusing though. Hope we have a girl
Calling them by MN's just keeps it less confusing, sort of.

LM

September 11th, 2007, 10:39 PM
MissCarley's Avatar Veteran
I don't get it either. A friend name her son Joshua Walker William. Her husband's name is Joshua, but her son is in no way a junior and they call the baby Walker. So I don't get why the wouldn't name him Walker Joshua William. Makes way more sense to me.

<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">Angelina Jane. Not gone forever, just gone ahead.
May 17, 2007.</span>

<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">First Appointment: October 1st

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search