Made up?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess I read this alot and dont really understand it.. aren't ALL names made up? What makes the difference if the name was made up 200 years ago or 2 years ago?

September 19th, 2007, 04:11 AM
.Becky.'s Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to .Becky.
LOL too shay salesman, too shay.

</div>

He takes her from the home she knows to lands of which are new. Survival is an unknown place, becomes her test of truth. Her burdens of many and his tanks sometimes are small. She keeps her faith through thick and thin and makes the best of all. She lives with some uncertainty, knows not what dawn may bring, but he knows nothing stops his girl from doing anything. Whether star or stripe or bar adorns his collar or his strife, nothing means more to a soldier than the one he calls his wife.
September 19th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The difference is, names that are accepted as names generally were "made up" as you say through the people's spoken language. This is why names have meanings. Originally they were descriptive words (such as Claudia/Claudius meaning "lame" in Latin; now of course there are more forms such as Claude and Claudette, but they are descended from the original name and retain the meaning).

Names that will cause some people to comment "that sounds made up" are generally not descended from or related to words. They are unrelated syllables or letters strung together on a whim. This is why you won't hear people say Cadence or Justice "sound made up". At one time they might have been very original names (when the very first parent to use them wrote it on the birth certificate), but they were not ever coined names as they already had their roots in our language.

</div>
September 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think a lot of names naturally evolved out of language already in use, as Acadia pointed out. Of course there was a first person to be named Mary, John, or Mohammed. But I think that certain names sound natural to us because of their similarity to our native language, including spelling techniques and phonetics that are already in use in that language. For me, when it looks like someone is just stringing together syllables or playing around with extremely different spelling, it irritates me, because it looks/sounds forced and unnatural. Also, when I can tell someone is following a trend but at the same time trying to be "different," the name usually ends up being one I don't like. Sometimes you will see a really unfamiliar or new name but that seems very natural, has an attractive spelling and a nice sound to it. In those cases, the name doesn't "seem" as made up usually because it is using familiar phenomes and spelling choices, or is a word or variation of a word that is already common in the language.

Now, my naming style isn't about sticking to the most traditional names, but I also don't think that it's necessary to go out of your way to name your child something so totally unique that it won't make sense to other people, constantly needs to be spelled out, or pronunciation must be corrected on an ongoing basis. If I see a name that is NMS for the above reasons, I'll explain in my response that it seems made up to me, because after all, the person posted looking for opinions on the name, and that's my opinion. However, I wouldn't go so far as to insult someone over a naming choice, if they love a name I'd never use, that's their choice. They may not like my name choices either, and the world keeps on turning.

September 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I kind-of agree with the fact that all names are sorta made-up; the newer ones just sound different to us. Eventually, they wouldn't.

September 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just see comments as "sounds too made up" as the only real problem or only comment that is wrong with the name. What does it really matter if it descended from our language? Seeming made up or not, all names are made up at some point. Does it really matter if it was made up 500 years ago?

September 20th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I just see comments as "sounds too made up" as the only real problem or only comment that is wrong with the name. What does it really matter if it descended from our language? Seeming made up or not, all names are made up at some point. Does it really matter if it was made up 500 years ago?[/b]
I read your question as being "Why do people say it sounds made up?", sorry.

It matters to some people and not to others, as a matter of personal preference. I see it most often on WDYT threads, where the literal question is "What do you think of X name?". If that's what comes to mind when I see the name, that's what I respond with. It's what I think. What you're saying matters to me because I prefer older names. If it doesn't matter to the person asking, they can disregard what I think.

Just like if someone asks "WDYT of Y name?" and I say something like ... I dislike it because it ends in a vowel. Well, the vast majority of names have vowels in them, so why does it matter if one ENDS in a vowel? I don't know, maybe I just prefer names that don't end in vowels. Maybe they prefer names that do. If they don't have the same preference as me, they can move on to the next response.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search