How many of you

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Have had longer names growing up but did not go by nicknames?

I am afraid to name my daughter Gabrielle and then have people call her Gabby. It seems inevitable, though. I did it to my parents. They named me Melissa and told everyone they could call me anything except "Missy". I wanted to go by Missy as soon as I heard that story and I went by "Missy" for 7-8 years!!!
After high school, I told everyone that I want to be called "Melissa" again, but my family still calls me Missy. UGH!

So I'm just wondering how many of you have names like Nichole or Elizabeth or Victoria (names that are usually shortened) and go by your full name? How often do people you barely know nickname you?

September 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think it's meant to be a nickname, but people sometimes shorten my name to Ann. I introduce myself as Anna, I never tell anyone to call me anything else- but even my family call me Ann!

I think in my case it's just that some people can't remember my name, and my family calls me that because there is another Anna in my family who goes by Ann, so they don't remember not to call me that.

I don't think a Gabrielle will automatically be called Gabby, though. I went to school with a Gabrielle and no one ever used any nickname for her. I wouldn't use a nickname for someone unless they asked me to. I would just call them whatever they introduced themself as.
September 23rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
I've never been introduced to anyone or introduced myself to anyone by anything other than Stevie or Stevie-Jo if it's formal but these are just a few of the nicknames I've had over the years

Steffie
Jo
Josie
Joey
Evie
JoJo
Eve
Steven

So I know that nicknames may sometimes just happen but with Gabrielle I think if you introduce her as Brielle or Gabrielle they'll stick to that and if they call her Gabby just correct them...they usually won't persist.
September 24th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, mine's not usually nicknamed, but my sister is Michelle. No one has EVER called her Shelly unless she asked them to (there was a time in jr high when she wanted to go by it). People don't just assume.

DF's cousin, though, is Victoria and people do assume she's Vicky. But I think that's an age thing ... she's 30 - 40 and Vicky was really popular in that age group, kwim? It's people her own age calling her Vicky. Doctors, nurses, etc. Nobody younger does. People closer to my age seem very careful to call her Victoria and keep doing it until she says "Call me Vicky".

</div>
September 24th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was always called Ashleigh. There were very few people who called me Ash-a cousin or two, grandma. More often now, people I wouldnt really prefer to call me Ash tend to. I grew up thinking you had to know me to get to call me Ash!

I am kinda worried about the girls name topping our list right now. I want to use Alori (Alery) but dont want her to be Ally. I am getting more comfortable with the idea of just telling people we dont call her that. But its a unique enough name that I hope she will just stick with it. = )

I was always called Ashleigh. There were very few people who called me Ash-a cousin or two, grandma. More often now, people I wouldnt really prefer to call me Ash tend to. I grew up thinking you had to know me to get to call me Ash!

I am kinda worried about the girls name topping our list right now. I want to use Alori (Alery) but dont want her to be Ally. I am getting more comfortable with the idea of just telling people we dont call her that. But its a unique enough name that I hope she will just stick with it. = )

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
September 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Kimber77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kimber77
My mom was persistent that I be called Kimberly and didn't want it shortened to Kim. I grew up in California until it was time for me to start school and we moved back to Indiana. She said as soon as I started kindergarten people (including the teacher) started calling me Kim. She tried correcting them but they did it anyway. So now i'm Kim which is fine with me. Its funny when we get to see family/friends from California though because they still call me Kimberly.

Big brother Gage welcomes Karli Elizabeth 7 lbs 14 oz 20 inches on 8/1/11

September 25th, 2007, 12:45 PM
LuvCaleb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvCaleb
Mine is Nichole, but i've always gone by Nikki, when i was younger i always thought that i wanted to go by Nichole because it sounded more mature but usually only business associates call me nichole or a dr's office or something that my full name is on.
September 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Jessuh's Avatar Super Mommy
My name is Jessica and I generally go by Jess. I refuse to be called Jessie unless it's a relative and even then I don't like it, but good luck they have been doing it forever. I do get a lot of random people that call me Jessie, and it really bothers me, so I'm not really sure if it will be inevitable for Gabrielle or not. I think all of the Gabrielle's I know do go by Gabby though.
September 26th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
my DD is a Gabrielle - and I call her Gaby more than Gabrielle.....

I think sometimes nicknames are inevitable & people will give someone a nickname without even thinking about it....

September 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
My legal name is Trisha, which I hate to begin with (hence why I go by my religious name). I get "Trish" all the time which I hate even more. I don't mind it so much if close friends and family call me Trish, but when strangers or even aquaintances call me that it bothers me. I always correct them saying "It's Trish-UH. Trisha, not Trish."

I also get the opposite problem... people assume Trisha is short for Patricia. It's not. I've been called Patty before, to which I replied "Patty? Who's Patty?" "Oh I'm sorry do you not like that nickname?" "Well it's not my name..." lol.

People also constantly mispell my name... making it Tricia. :-/

September 27th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
I have the same fear with ELIANA. I like the nn Ellie & Ella... they just don't sound great with our last name.

Some of my family called me Chrissy - still do, but it's weird bc it's no shorter than Christa, LOL. Just cuter, I guess.
September 27th, 2007, 08:03 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People try to shorten Rosalie fairly often. I get called Rose sometimes, or Rosa if they know I'm Puerto Rican. I don't really like those because they sound super old lady-ish to me. I correct people. I don't mind if it's a close friend calling me Ro for short, but it's not an official nickname. Rosalie is what I want to be called. I get so annoyed when someone comes right out and say, "Do you mind if I just call you Rose?" That's feels so rude to me. No one calls me that, why does this person who doesn't know me assume they can call me anything they want? But anyway, besides those occasional strangers, everyone calls me Rosalie. It's possible to avoid with some effort! I went to school with a Robert among Robs, a Jennifer among Jenns, etc.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
September 29th, 2007, 02:12 PM
mrs_turner's Avatar Super Mommy
my name is April and for about half my life my nickname was Ape. I hated it. I've also been called Apey, Apple and Prill or Prilly most recently. Which gets confused for Pearl. Hah. I don't really mind the nicknames all that much but i do make it known that my name is April.

I'm worried about nicknames for my baby girl too. Her name will most likely either be Rylee or Brianna. Bree I don't mind too much as a nickname but Ry? I don't think my little girl will like that!
September 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I'm Mel. I'm always just Mel, even teachers who I don't ask to call me Mel, call me Mel. I don't really like it, but what can you do.
September 30th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Veteran
My name is Nicola and i've never gone by Nikki ever. My close family will occasionaly call me Nic but mostly im just Nicola.
If you really don't want a nickname then just tell people who call her Gabby that "Gabby isn't her name, Gabrielle is". Or if u just dont like the nickname Gabby, u could nickname her Elle or even Ella

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search