Popularity of names?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
How many of you hated how popular your name was growing up?

If you had a unique name, did you wish your name was more common?

Melissa is supposedly really popular, but it never bothered me. I never minded meeting another Melissa. I always thought hearing unique names was really cool, but the popularity of my name never bothered me.

Sometimes I really feel like I want to give my kids unique names (not in the top 100 popularity list). But then I wonder if it's really necessary or not. Some of the names in the top 100 list are really nice and liked by most people... how can that be a bad thing??

September 23rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Nat&Ry
I hated how popular my name was in school, it drove me nuts. There were 3 other Ashley's in my grade. Now, it isn't a big deal.

September 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I used to wish I had a more unusual name. Too many Annas where I lived. My parents actually thought it would be uncommon.

I generally prefer more uncommon names, but not totally unique ones. I would look for a name that isn't at the top of the popularity list, but I wouldn't make something up just to make sure no one else had it.
September 24th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
I've sometimes wished my name was a bit more feminine but I love that it's unique
September 24th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Part of the reason I don't like it is because everyone has met a Lauren, kwim? They expect me to be at least a little like she was, and I'm usually NOT. They're either confused or disappointed.

The other reason is, since I needed a "nickname" for people to pick me out of the Lauren Crowd, I was "short Lauren". If there's something you're a bit sensitive about, it probably stands out, and if you have a common name the exact personal trait you HATE can end up being pointed out to you multiple times a day in the interest of "telling you apart".

</div>
September 24th, 2007, 06:13 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved having an uncommon name. I've only met a handful of Rosalies ever. It's very uncommon, but it's not weird and made up. It sounds familiar to pretty much everyone, even if they had never heard it before. I got it spelled Rosa Lee a lot, but not a huge deal. It wasn't a name people just didn't get like some of my other friends' unique names (like Ramara, for example). I loved being unique and not one of the bazillion Jennifers in my classes.

My first choice name for DD was below the Top 100 (Elena), and I loved that. DH wouldn't go for it, though. I didn't mind giving her a Top 100 name (Anna), but I really did not want a Top 10 name at all. Anna is as close to the top as I will ever get in names for girls. She will have plenty of Anna's that she'll meet, but hopefully she won't have a ton in her class. I'm crossing my fingers, anyway.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
September 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was growing up, there were hardly any Ashleys and NO Ashleighs. It wasnt until highschool that i had an Ashley in my class. I am 26 now and have only met one who spelled it like I do.

I loved that no one had the same name as me. I want my kids to have that.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
September 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would not name my kid anything that was in the top 50 names. Even if I liked the name.

I liked the name Chloe, but since it's in the top 20 I wouldn't have used it.

September 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM
StaeheliGrl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My name is Sherrie, which is VERY popular. My spelling is not popular but I've always hated how "generic" my name is. So many times I'll be sitting in a doctors office and the nurse will come and call out for "Sherrie" and me and another woman will both stand up. I hate that. That is partly why I am drawn towards very unique unusual names.

September 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
my name was really uncommon when I was growing up, there wasn't another Carly in my school until my senior yr. in hs there was one that was a freshman, I didn't really mind it because it wasn't an uncommon name that was hard to pronounce or anything. The only thing I really didn't like was people always saying oh were you named after Carly Simon? (which I wasn't I was named after my dad) But I never hated that it was uncommon or wished I had a more common name.

for my kids I tend to like less common girls names (out of the top 100) but for boys I tend to like more common names for the most part (but probably wouldn't use anything in the top 15 or so)

September 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am also a Melissa and I really disliked being one of many Melissa's. Esp because my last name was super popular / common too so I shared the EXACT same name as some. There were even a few mix up's due to this - i got someone else's warrant for arrest that had the same name!!! I also got put into the wrong class in college due to name mix up.
I want my kid's to have unique names - that aren't popular for their peer group. Who knows what will happen to a name in the future - it could sky rocket in 10 years. But at least among his/her peer groups their name will be fairly rare. Anything above the top 50 doesn't really bother me. But below 50 is too popular IMO.

September 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My name wasn't necessarily popular or unique, but I always found it quite boring growing up. I went to a small school so the only other Carrie in my class was a boy named Carey. They differientated us by calling me by my first and middle names, Carrie Ann. Most of the people I graduated with still call me that in fact even though I've never gone by it outside of that circle.

The name I have picked for a girl is in the top 100 (in fact it may be the top 10) - Emma, but I really don't let this bother me. Everyone is unique regardless of whether or not you share your name with someone else. I also plan to call her Emma Beth sometimes (middle name Elisabeth) and will tell the school to use that if there are other Emma's in the class. This name means a lot to me and I won't let popularity affect my decision.

September 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I'm Melanie, which is/was never popular at all. I never went to school with another Melanie until 7th grade and she spelled it Melany (which I think is soo weird). When I moved down here to the crappiest place on Earth, I ended up in HS with 2 other Melanie's. It was weird, but they both were Seniors when I was a Sophomore. One even went by Mel C., which is what I went by.

It was almost nice finding other people my age with my weird name.
September 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I have a common name... it's just common on boys. There are good and bad things to having a name like this. Good - everyone knows you and they never, ever forget your name. You stand out and you can claim it as a kind of cool thing about yourself that your 10 friends named Jen and Sarah don't have. Bad - it's an easy target for teasing, and you get stupid/embarrassing questions and are always feeling like you have to defend your name. When you're in your awkward pubescent years, having a very unique name can make you feel even more awkward... at the time when all you want to do is be named Jen or Sarah so that you fit in.

Aside from that, having a unisex or opposite-sex name brings it's own "fun" but that's for another post.

The names I'm drawn to are familiar-sounding and spelled in a straightforward way, but uncommon, and I always like very feminine names for girls and very masculine names for boys, because of my experiences.

September 25th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine is Lauren which has been in the top 25 for over 20 years.. but I rarely met many when i was younger. I have a cousin who has 4 friends named Lauren and I had a few clients with the same name.. it seems like I meet alot of them now, but I have always loved my name!

September 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Jessuh's Avatar Super Mommy
I hated growing up as a Jessica and still am not very fond of it. Everywhere I went and still go there are mutliple Jessica's. It's really annoying.
September 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
My name is Emma - which obviously was - and is still very common.... but I never really wished I had another name. There were a few Emmas in my year group at high school, but i didn't really mind

My name is Emma - which obviously was - and is still very common.... but I never really wished I had another name. There were a few Emmas in my year group at high school, but i didn't really mind

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search