Matilda

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Sebastians_mom
Many Australians consider the name "Matilda" to be australian (heath ledger just named his daughter matilda in recognition of his australian heritage). For those not australian, a very popular old song in aus that many consider to be our second national anthem is called 'Waltzing Matilda'. I guess my question is, what do non australians think about the song, i asked a freind here in the US and they didn't even have a clue it had anything to do with Australia. Since my baby will be growing up in the US I thought it might be nice to give her an Australian name that I like, but i can't think of any other then Matilda.
December 4th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ha i had no idea Matilda was an australian name, and i definitely didnt know it had anything to do with an australian second national anthem. Learn something new every day. I think you may find that not many people are aware of that fact. I do love the name btw, especially with the NN Mattie.
December 4th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Quote:
Ha i had no idea Matilda was an australian name, and i definitely didnt know it had anything to do with an australian second national anthem. Learn something new every day. I think you may find that not many people are aware of that fact. I do love the name btw, especially with the NN Mattie.[/b]

December 4th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love "Waltzing Matilda" and so does my MIL ... just about the only thing we've ever BOTH liked! I know it is an Australian folk song but I wouldn't consider the name Matilda to be distinctly Australian, to Americans. People just don't associate them in the US. I think the first association most people make is the movie "Matilda" ... most I come across don't even realize it was a book first.

I like the name Matilda. I'll probably use it one day.

If you want your daughter to have a name that reminds you of Australia, and you like Matilda, go ahead and use it. Who cares if other people don't know it's related? I imagine you'll teach her the words to the song and tell her how it's associated with Australia. That's all that matters, really.

</div>
December 4th, 2007, 06:33 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
If you want your daughter to have a name that reminds you of Australia, and you like Matilda, go ahead and use it. Who cares if other people don't know it's related? I imagine you'll teach her the words to the song and tell her how it's associated with Australia. That's all that matters, really.[/b]
to this! I had no idea Waltzing Matilda was Australian, but that doesn't really matter. If you love the name and it is Australian to you, then that is perfect.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
December 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
I had no idea that is was Australian.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

December 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM
ibdancn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think of the movie first too. But if you like it and you think of it as Australian, use it! Basically any other Australian name you could think of, I wouldn't know it was Australian either.

Thank you Chelsea (marriedc) for my beautiful siggy

December 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
I think the name is very cute with the nn Mattie. I wouldn't have known where it came from or anything about the song until this post, but as long as you know why you picked it and can tell your child that is all that is important.

December 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I didn't know it was Australian, either. I'm not a big fan of it, though. It just reminds me of the movie.

December 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
I think it's a great way to honour your Australian heritage, I obviously know how it's connected because I'm Australian myself but even if many don't know the fact is you'll know and you can teach it's connection to your daughter. I also like it a lot
December 5th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Super Mommy
Matilda isn't an Australian name. Some people just associate it with Australia because of the song. I've never heard said song, and my first association with Matilda is the book by Roald Dahl.
December 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
BeckyK's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm Canadian but have never heard of the song. My German grandmother's name is Mathilde (Matilda) but goes by Tilly. I love it.

My Chart

Charting your cycle? Try reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler</div>
December 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
BeckyK's Avatar Super Mommy
Double post

My Chart

Charting your cycle? Try reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler</div>
December 6th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Sebastians_mom
Quote:
I think it's a great way to honour your Australian heritage, I obviously know how it's connected because I'm Australian myself but even if many don't know the fact is you'll know and you can teach it's connection to your daughter. I also like it a lot [/b]
I realise the name did not originate in Australia, but it has a huge significance in australian history, thats why I think of it as australian.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search