Style Matching

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Do you feel like you need to match the styles of your names for all your children? Or do you not care at all if they sound good together?

Such as if you named your first son a biblical name, do you feel as though you have to stick to biblical names for all your children? Or if you went with a trendy name for daughter #1, do you feel as though you need to name daughter #2 a trendy name, also?

Here are some example sibsets. What are your opinions of them?

1) Patricia and Mackenna

2) Emily and Landon

3) Eliana and Jaden

4) Noah, Luke, and Samantha

5) Aidan, Sophia, and Natalie

December 6th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I have to match styles- yes.

I absolutely hate sibsets that don't flow well/match stylistically. All I can think is "Wow, those kids were born during way different trends/fads". It also bothers me when you can tell that the children in a family have a different father/mother because one their names is completely different from the others.

I couldn't name any future child a name that didn't flow well with Audrey or match in style.
December 6th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
The names I like tend to match by themselves, especially the boys names. I don't mind a little difference in Style but I don't like it when it's blatantly obvious how much the clash like Asher and Gabrielle I think is fine. but something like Estelle and Mackenna is just way to clashy for my taste
December 6th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My problem is when names clash horribly. The only one of your sibsets I'd have a problem with is Patricia and Mackenna. My only guess would be that each parent named one. Names are such a personal thing ... you want your children to be their own people and not be little copies of their siblings, but giving them such hugely different names has to be a little strange for them! Imagine your sisters being Arabella, Anastasia, and Anneliese ... and your name is Jaden. Doesn't that send some kind of message? Wouldn't you think that on some level you're expected to be different from everyone else?

Emily and Landon work because both are trendy at the moment. Eliana and Jaden work for the same reason (although if Jaden is a girl, it doesn't work as well). Noah, Luke, and Samantha work because they're all "classic" names. Aidan, Sophia, and Natalie work because while Natalie isn't as hugely popular right now, it's still "on the radar". The categories don't have to be perfect and exact, like "Biblical" or anything. I just wouldn't name kids Noah, Luke, and MaKynleigh. Noah, Luke, and Samantha works much better. You don't have to be limiting and use rigid guidelines, but I feel like the kids should at least sound like they could have the same parents.

</div>
December 6th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In general, I don't think the sibsets need to 'match' as long as they're not too different. The only one that strikes me as 'too' odd is Patricia and Makenna. Kids are individuals and should be named as such. They are going to grow up, get married and not live next door to each other. My point is that they aren't going to be 'Emily and Landon' forever. They'll be Emily and Joe and Landon and Ashley or whatever. I wouldn't ever not use a name because it didn't match their sibling. That just seems weird to me. I think by default, we tend to like names that are in the same genre but it isn't a must for me.
December 6th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
i don't think they have to be matched completely but I do like if they go together well!

December 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
Quote:
My problem is when names clash horribly. The only one of your sibsets I'd have a problem with is Patricia and Mackenna. My only guess would be that each parent named one. Names are such a personal thing ... you want your children to be their own people and not be little copies of their siblings, but giving them such hugely different names has to be a little strange for them! Imagine your sisters being Arabella, Anastasia, and Anneliese ... and your name is Jaden. Doesn't that send some kind of message? Wouldn't you think that on some level you're expected to be different from everyone else?

Emily and Landon work because both are trendy at the moment. Eliana and Jaden work for the same reason (although if Jaden is a girl, it doesn't work as well). Noah, Luke, and Samantha work because they're all "classic" names. Aidan, Sophia, and Natalie work because while Natalie isn't as hugely popular right now, it's still "on the radar". The categories don't have to be perfect and exact, like "Biblical" or anything. I just wouldn't name kids Noah, Luke, and MaKynleigh. Noah, Luke, and Samantha works much better. You don't have to be limiting and use rigid guidelines, but I feel like the kids should at least sound like they could have the same parents.[/b]
I agree with all of this.

December 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
too!

December 6th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No, they don't have to match. I think people naturally tend to match styles though...because that style is their preference in names. My kids are Scott, Wyatt, and Phoebe. Similar...but also different.
December 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to melaniebabyy Send a message via Yahoo to melaniebabyy
My only thing is I don't really know when names "match" or not. If they're just names without being biblical or a certain century or somethin than I have no idea if they match well or not. If that makes sense. So I can't really say lol.

But it does bother me when there's a common name with a completely rare name... and things like that.

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center"></div>
December 7th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine have to match yes. In style aswell as length (not exactly).
Such as - Grace, Amelia, Evelyn & Hannah are all pretty girly yet sophisticated.
Their MN are Alexandra, Katherine, Meredith & Elizabeth, All long in length, traditional and classic.
December 7th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Super Mommy
No, I don't care if the names match or not. Kids are individuals, not a matching china set.
December 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Names matching in style is important to me. If I'm unsure if names match in style, I refer to The Baby Name Wizard book I have. It's great about giving the history of a name, popularity, style of name, a great description of each style, etc.... Many names are in several styles too.

Kids are individuals, but they're also part of a family. So, it's nice to display a certain degree of cohesiveness in their first names.
December 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Kids are individuals, but they're also part of a family. So, it's nice to display a certain degree of cohesiveness in their first names.[/b]
So, is little Hazel less part of the family because her older sisters are Madison, Makayla and Nevaeh? I don't think so.

I just don't feel parents should not use a name they like because it doesn't "match" with the other kids' names. That's putting unnecessary limits on oneself.
December 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
I think as long as they sound good together its okay.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

December 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No, I don't really care if they match. I mean, I guess you could say some of them do. DH is Mexican so four have Hispanic first names and the other 4 have more American sounding names. But, 3 of our girls have unisex names and 2 have girly names. 1 boy has an American sounding name and 2 have Spanish but only one goes by his and the other goes by his Irish middle name. LOL!

This baby's name will be Zo which doesn't really match any of them but does fit in really nicely.

December 9th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
1) Patricia and Mackenna I think this sounds funny. I would wonder what the parents were thinking.

2) Emily and Landon Fine, this one wouldn't bother me.

3) Eliana and Jaden These go together just fine to me.

4) Noah, Luke, and Samantha These are 3 perfectly appropriate names IMO

5) Aidan, Sophia, and Natalie ^ Ditto

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search