Italian court renames child, ruling parents choice to be "ridiculous or shameful"

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071218/od_uk_...e_uk_italy_name

Wow

December 18th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow is right. I can't believe a government can tell you what you can or can't name your child! How sad. While I'm not a fan of 'Friday', I think it's absolutely no business of the government what you name your child. It sounds like a very slippery slope to me. If they can force you to change something so personal as the name of your own child, what's next?
December 18th, 2007, 08:14 AM
BrownEyedGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I've heard of a few other European countries being restrictive on naming also. I don't think it's any of the government's business either but.....Friday is kind of a ridiculous name.
December 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Kimber77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kimber77
Wow!! Of some of the names i've heard particularly of celebrities, Friday isn't that far out there. I could see if it was a curse word or something but thats an odd case.

Big brother Gage welcomes Karli Elizabeth 7 lbs 14 oz 20 inches on 8/1/11

December 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
ibdancn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Wow!! Of some of the names i've heard particularly of celebrities, Friday isn't that far out there. I could see if it was a curse word or something but thats an odd case.[/b]
That's horrible! I mean, we've got Wednesday on the Addams Family. Why not Friday? I agree that if it was something bad, that might be an okay ruling... but FRIDAY?!?!

Thank you Chelsea (marriedc) for my beautiful siggy

December 18th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I opened the link I expected it to be some ridiculous (well more then the name in the link lol) offensive name. It's nowhere near that and the government should but out of it.

<div align="center"></div>

December 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
This is like that story of the baby named '4real'.... let me post the link...

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=bizarre&id=5408136

December 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Friday is pretty funny.

December 18th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
I think it is ok for the government to be able to demand a name change if the name really is "ridiculous or shameful" But Friday isn't that bad. To me apple is worse

Now 4real is "ridiculous"
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
December 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The weirdest part is that the court just decided arbitrarily on a name. I'm assuming the parents did not consent or settle on the name? That's just bizarre. If courts were going to reject a name I picked, I'd at least try to pick a suitable alternative rather than just having one assigned and enforced. Maybe they weren't cooperative? Who knows, but it sounds like they had no say.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
December 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The weirdest part is that the court just decided arbitrarily on a name. I'm assuming the parents did not consent or settle on the name? That's just bizarre. If courts were going to reject a name I picked, I'd at least try to pick a suitable alternative rather than just having one assigned and enforced. Maybe they weren't cooperative? Who knows, but it sounds like they had no say.[/b]

it sounded like the parents refused to comply by renaming the boy so they did it for her.

December 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm i dont personally agree with it. I think if a name is stupid and riddiculous like "4real" then something should be done. Friday may not be everyones taste but its not that terrible.

However i think you have to consider somethings, Italy is a very religious country and nothing like America or England and although if that happened over here, well it just wouldnt really, people wouldnt stand for it. But, like i said, Italy is a completely different country and some part and people of the country are still very set in there ways.
December 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think that the government should have complete control over what a person names their child, but on the other hand, I would hate it if my name was Friday. I think some rules about names are a good idea. If someone wants to give their child a name that will really be a problem, like a word that means something bad, it shouldn't be allowed. There are probably some people in the world who would use a curse word as a name, just to shock people or try to be funny, and their child is the one who will have to deal with that. I don;t think Friday is as bad as that, but in Italy, it might have different connotations than it does here. Some people think Friday is unlucky, and that might have been a burden on the child.

Quote:
The weirdest part is that the court just decided arbitrarily on a name. I'm assuming the parents did not consent or settle on the name? That's just bizarre. If courts were going to reject a name I picked, I'd at least try to pick a suitable alternative rather than just having one assigned and enforced. Maybe they weren't cooperative? Who knows, but it sounds like they had no say.[/b]
The court gave him the name of the saint whose day he was born on.
December 18th, 2007, 11:51 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thats horrible that someone would di that

December 19th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
That's ridiculous.

Friday isn't so bad. Atleast they spelled it correctly. It could've been Fryedai.
December 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
LMAO about the spelling!

December 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I think its wrong that they ordered them to name him Gregory. While I understand it, it just isn't right because it isn't the governments kid I don't think Friday is such a terrible name, its definitely not the worst we've heard!
December 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I understand why some people were concerned about it. Names like that aren't common or really accepted in Italy ... most people do have saints' names and traditional Italian names. Now, they decided to call it shameful because Friday is considered an unlucky day there, apparently. I guess it's just a cultural difference.

I guess the closest thing I can think of, in America, would be like naming a child Friday the Thirteenth. KWIM? It's considered an unlucky day, which isn't a good association, and a lot of people would consider that a ridiculous first name, as people would consider Friday a silly name in Italy.

I do wish they'd cooperated at least a little, so they could find a compromise. It must hurt for a court to tell you your child's name is inappropriate (of course, unless you MEANT to name them something shameful, which I've seen names that definitely weren't accidents) and against the law, but when they ordered the name changed why wouldn't you choose something else you liked? Even if you didn't like it as much as Friday? Apparently they don't like Gregory at all.

</div>
December 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, that's awful. Those poor parents.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
December 22nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
cheesecake's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Wow!! Of some of the names i've heard particularly of celebrities, Friday isn't that far out there. I could see if it was a curse word or something but thats an odd case.[/b]

Sherilyn ~ Mama to Jade & Colt

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search