Niamh G. Dhabolt

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
I've been wondering for a long time how to pronounce a lot of names on your list and I just haven't asked A lot of them look really pretty (I'm referring to the once you posted in response to the Jon & Kate +8 question) but I am going crazy trying to prounounce them. Also...how do you pronounce both yours and your son's first name? I'm sorry....I've just wondering for awhile! Thanks for your time
December 30th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Awe, this post is cute.

Most of her names are Welsh and Irish. There's a really great site: www.babynamesofireland.com and it pronounces them for you with audio clips. Other than that, I'll just post to bump this so she can answer you.
December 30th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
MelMel is right, most of my name choices are Irish, Scottish, and Welsh. http://www.babynamesofireland.com has some pronounciations of Irish names.

My name is Niamh, which is Irish (it means "bright", and is also the name of an Irish goddess). It can be pronounced like "NEEV" or "NEE-iv". I've always said my name like the latter (NEE-iv). In the Irish and Scottish languages, "mh" makes a "v" sound (sometimes a "w" in certain words). For those who have a hard time pronouncing it, I just tell them to call me Neve ("nev", like Neve Campbell, the actess).

My husband's name is Gwyddion, which is Welsh. Gwydion (with one "d") is the name of a Welsh god, and some people believe it was also the original name of King Arthur (before he was Christened Arthur). It's pronounced like the name Gideon, except with a "w" in there... so like Gwideon... if that makes sense.

Seamus is the Irish form of James (he was named after my best friend, James, who died in 2004) and is pronounced "SHAY-mus". In Irish and Scottish, "se" and "si" make an "sh" sound. Like in the popular name Sean ("shawn"), which is an Irish form of John. Seamus' first middle name is Padraig, which is pronounced like "paw-dreg"... though when said fast it sounds a lot like Patrick. Padraig is the Irish spelling of Patrick. (Hence why on St. Patrick's Day you may see some things that say "Happy St. Paddy's Day"... because Padraig is the Irish form) His second middle name is Scott, which is my maiden name.

For the first girl we have Rhiannon Caoimhe Siobhan picked out. Rhiannon is a Welsh goddess (as well as a kick-arse Stevie Nicks song ). Caoimhe is my favorite female name... it's Irish and is the feminine form of Caoimhin (which is the original spelling of Kevin). If one knows the sound of letter combinations in Irish, then the pronounciation of Caoimhe makes perfect sense. Like I said earlier, "mh" makes a "v" sound. "aoi" makes an "ee" sound, and the "e" at the end makes an "uh" sound. The "C" is always said like a "k". Putting that togetther... KEE-vuh. The Anglicized form of the name is Keeva. It means "beautiful" (just as Caoimhin "kee-vin"/Kevin means "kind, gentle, handsome"). Siobhan is pronounced "sha-vawn" ("bh" also makes a "v" sound) and is the Irish-feminine form of John, which is a family name on my husband's side.

For the second boy, we have Conan picked out as a definite for the first name. We're saying it just like Conan O'Brien says his name. Iain (Scottish form of John. Said just like Ian... "EE-in") well absolutely be one of the middle names. We like Alasdair a lot for the other middle name but not sure which one we want first. Alasdair is the Scottish form of Alexander and is pronounced "AL-es-der", Alec is a good nickname for it.

For second girl I'm undecided about the first name... but for some reason I really want it to start with an M. Maureen and Mairin are the top runners there. Mairin is the original form of Maureen... and is pronounced "MAW-reen". It's an Irish pet form of Mary. Saoirse will DEFINITELY be one of the middle names. Remember, "aoi" makes an "ee" sound and "se" makes and "sh" sound. Saoirse is pronounced "SEER-shuh" and is the Irish word for "freedom". Guinevere is a possible other middle name... and it happens to be my middle name as well. It's Welsh and means "fair, white, smooth". Other possible second middle names are Brigid and Bronwen.

For third boy I have Finnegan Deaglan Galahad in mind. Finnegan is a pet form of Finn (or Fionn, which is pronounced like Finn), which is the name of an Irish god (Fionn mac Cumhail or Anglicized as Finn MacCool). Deaglan is the original spelling of Declan and when said fast they sound the same, thogh broken down Deaglan is pronounced DEG-len. I chose that because of all the D-names on my dad's side of the family. Galahad is a Welsh, and has an unknown meaning. It was the name of one of the Knights of the Round Table in Arthurian Legends.

Most of the other names I listed were just off the top of my head as I don't have that many names picked out for my kids, lol. But hopefully some of my pronounciation tips can help in that area... "aoi"= "ee"; "se" and "si"="sh"; "mh" and "bh"= "v"; "e" at the end= "uh"

I hope that helps!

December 30th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Thanks sooo much!! Definately helps. I had a feeling that they were pronounced differently than they looked.....but I had definately been pronouncing your name as "Nee-em-uh" haha....waaaaay off. I was right on your husband's name and your son's (I think I saw somewhere else that Seamus was pro Shea-mus) but before that I was definately calling it "See-mus" As for most of the rest I was way off too. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

PS- now that I am pronouncing them correctly, they are beautiful names and sound great together!
December 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Thanks!

What can I say... I guess I just have a thing for traditionally spelled Celtic names. I try to keep the least complicated names as first names though. Seamus sometimes has difficulties (many Americans have already heard of the name before and pronounce it correctly, but do get a lot of "see-mus", lol), but the name was very important to us.

The other names we have picked as first names I don't think people would have much problem with (Conan, Rhiannon, Finnegan, Maureen/Mairin... though if we used Mairin instead of Maureen, I'm sure she'd get a few "MARE-in"s... but who knows). I try to keep the "complicated" ones in the middle name slots. I wanted to use Caoimhe as a first name instead of Rhiannon as I like it more... but I can only imagine the confusion from others on that one! LOL. So I think it's best in the middle name slot.

December 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Quote:
Thanks!

What can I say... I guess I just have a thing for traditionally spelled Celtic names. I try to keep the least complicated names as first names though. Seamus sometimes has difficulties (many Americans have already heard of the name before and pronounce it correctly, but do get a lot of "see-mus", lol), but the name was very important to us.

The other names we have picked as first names I don't think people would have much problem with (Conan, Rhiannon, Finnegan, Maureen/Mairin... though if we used Mairin instead of Maureen, I'm sure she'd get a few "MARE-in"s... but who knows). I try to keep the "complicated" ones in the middle name slots. I wanted to use Caoimhe as a first name instead of Rhiannon as I like it more... but I can only imagine the confusion from others on that one! LOL. So I think it's best in the middle name slot. [/b]
Can you imagine if someone said it "Kay-oh-may".
December 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

The other names we have picked as first names I don't think people would have much problem with (Conan, Rhiannon, Finnegan, Maureen/Mairin... though if we used Mairin instead of Maureen, I'm sure she'd get a few "MARE-in"s... but who knows). I try to keep the "complicated" ones in the middle name slots. I wanted to use Caoimhe as a first name instead of Rhiannon as I like it more... but I can only imagine the confusion from others on that one! LOL. So I think it's best in the middle name slot. [/b]
Can you imagine if someone said it "Kay-oh-may".
[/b]

lol seriously! I can see people saying "Koym?" "kow-eem?" "kwoy-muh?" lol. Hence why it's in the middle name spot. I mean, like I said earlier, when you know the basic pronounciations of Irish, Caoimhe makes perfect sense and is spelled exactly how it sounds... but in English it's a big question mark for most people, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search