What names should make a comeback?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not necessarily the names that WILL become popular again, but the ones you'd like to see used! Which "old" names would you like to hear more often?

</div>
December 31st, 2007, 03:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Adrian, Alasdair, Alfred, Aubrey, Basil, Bennett, Bertram, Boris, Edmund, Edward, Felix, Florian, Francis, Frederick, George, Josiah, Julian, Kaspar, Leo, Meredith, Nathaniel, Patrick, Paul, Sebastian, Simon, Thomas, Tobias, Tristram, William

Annabel, Astrid, Brigid, Cecilia, Clara, Cornelia, Daphne, Edith, Elena, Estelle, Felicity, Flora, Frances, Georgiana, Helena, Irene, Joan, Judith, Leah, Lucia, Maria, Matilda, Miriam, Natalia, Rosamund, Susannah, Tatiana, Teresa, Winifred
December 31st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
A lot of the one's ALC listed, especially Alasdair , Patrick/Padraig, Astrid, and Cecilia.

But the first name that popped into my head when seeing this thread was Margaret. I love that name. I'd use it, but it just isn't Celtic enough for me, lol.

January 1st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
Cecilia
Johanna
Leona
Stella
Cora
Genevieve

Leo
Frederick
Oliver
Emmett
August
Curtis

January 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I would be so happy to see Aubrey on a male, like it should be.
January 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
BrownEyedGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Georgia
Josephine
Beatrice
Imogen
Margaret (I've actually been hearing about more and more little Margarets being born!)
Rose (as a first name)

Arthur
Atticus
Edwin
George

And I agree, it would be awesome to meet a male Aubrey!
January 2nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
ditto on the male Aubrey thing. There was a girl in another board I frequent who was listing her favorite names and what she wanted to name her future children. Well they were all kree8tive spellings and whatnot (Naethyn instead of Nathan... etc), but then she had Aubrey on her boy's list! I was thinking "thank goodness, she at least has SOME taste" lol. Well unfortunately, a couple of the other girls there practically convinced her not to give a boy that name ("it's a girl's name!" bla bla bla)... I kept telling her it was a great choice and that she should do it.

I'd much rather see Aubrey than Naethyn. *sigh*

Shauna, I love Arthur too, and wanted to use it... but my husband's step-mom's father (did you follow that? lol) is named Arthur, and he doesn't care much for his step-mother... and he doesn't want her thinking we named the baby after him. *sigh* So no Arthur for us.

January 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am sick of Aubrey on girls! When I was browsing the list of names on this site, Aubrey was listed as a girls' name (along with Aubrie and Aubree ), but it wasn't even on the boys' list.

I also wish Alexis and Meredith would go back to being male names.
January 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Quote:
I am sick of Aubrey on girls! When I was browsing the list of names on this site, Aubrey was listed as a girls' name (along with Aubrie and Aubree ), but it wasn't even on the boys' list.

I also wish Alexis and Meredith would go back to being male names.[/b]

I agree about Alexis... but I just can't wrap myself around Meredith for a boy. lol. It's just always seemed like a female name to me. But if I met a male Meredith, I'd probably get used to it and it would grow on me.

January 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure if I want them to make a true comeback since I like less popular names but I'm really partial to Estelle, Esther and Ethel. I thought Ethel might gain popularity as a similiar but alternative to Hazel. I'm shocked that Estelle/Estella/Stella aren't totally cool right now since I know about 100 little Ella's. I'm just In Love with Esther.
January 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
Girls:

Mary
Helena
Ophelia
Cecilia
Cora
Rose
Alexandra
Catherine
Maeve
Eileen

Boys:

Edward
Henry
Aubrey
Sebastian
Dean
Marcus
Julius
Zachary
Hugh
Samuel
January 7th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would love to see more Margarets too! But it's actually not that low on the SSA list ... I was surprised to see that. I would guess those Margarets are mostly middle-name-Margarets, though.

</div>
January 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM
MamaBx3
I wish that Madison would go back to being a BOYS name !! It is so popular on girls now .. It's always been one of my favorite boys names .. but obviously a boy named Madison these days would get teased. grr !

Anyways .. names that I'd like to see come back :

Charlotte
Cecilia
Ophelia
Eloise
May
Gretchen
Ingrid
Ethel
Beatrice/Beatrix

Julian
George
Sebastian
William
Henry
January 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Veteran
I love traditional names much more than the trendy trying to be different names..

old fashioned girls names I like are Mabel and Edie.. theyre so cute

old fashioned boys names I like are Alistair and Edwin.. I am having a boy and my faves at the mo are Alistair and Fraser, nobody else seems too keen on either.

January 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
samantha*'s Avatar Veteran
Josephine
Ruby

Edward
January 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In the Uk at the moment it is REALLY trendy to use old fashioned traditional names:

Some of the most popular are:
RUBY (the most popular)
Eve
pearl
Mabel
Irene (Reenie)
Daisy
Margaret
Esme
Grace
Olivia

I don´t know many baby boys
William
Edward
Chrles/Charlie
Joshua
Jacob
Harry

Names spelt creatively are out of fashion, and trendy names like Jordan and Jackson are out too.

February 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
BeckyK's Avatar Super Mommy
Clara
Cora
Matilda
Cecilia

Jasper
Oliver
Charles (Charlie)

My Chart

Charting your cycle? Try reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler</div>
March 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
I dont agree with Aubrey on a male.

I would like to see Allison come back.
March 27th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Regular
I love the name Aubrey. I never knew it was actually a male name until about a week ago. My dad said he grew up with an Aubrey. People today seem to name boys girls name (Shannon, Courtney, Leslie, Kelly, etc) and girls boys names (Tyler, Taylor, Joey, Cameron, etc). Its a trend all in its own. However, most of these names are listed under both sexes in pretty much every baby name book. With that said, I think Aubrey for a girl is appropriate.
March 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Quote:
I love the name Aubrey. I never knew it was actually a male name until about a week ago. My dad said he grew up with an Aubrey. People today seem to name boys girls name (Shannon, Courtney, Leslie, Kelly, etc) and girls boys names (Tyler, Taylor, Joey, Cameron, etc). Its a trend all in its own. However, most of these names are listed under both sexes in pretty much every baby name book. With that said, I think Aubrey for a girl is appropriate.[/b]

Shannon, Courtney, Leslie, and Kelly were all originally male names.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search