Anya/Aine

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have always loved Anna to honor my grandmother but are thinking its just too vanilla. I was reading a story the other day and remembered the Irish name Aine, prn typically as Anya. I think that we'd have a horrible time if we spelled a first name as Aine, because it would always be said as Ain, as in Pain, or ay-in. However we really really love Irish names and are stuck on the spelling

all this aside, we really think we'd like to use Anya/Aine over Anna and would love to hear opinions and middle name suggestions, especially good Irish, Scottish and Celtic middle names (we are open to many things though). I know its difficult to give middle name suggestions, so know that I dont love many trendy names and I'm not sure that any middle name that ends in an "a" would flow well or sound ok

thanks guys for help. We are hoping to use Kieran if we have a boy so using a traditional name is important, but middle names not so much

After reading on here, I really pushed dh a bit more on traditional names for middle names
He's considering along with others
Caoimhe (Keeva)
Siobhan (Sha-vawn)
and Saoirse (Seer-sha and means freedom.. a little concerned about political statements with this one.. its pretty political in Ireland and is sort of a middle finger to the British type word/name)

we also like Cait, Maeve, and a few others. He's still pretty stuck on the Anya spelling... he's worried more about it being the first name

January 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love Aine, Caoimhe, Siobhan, Saoirse, and Maeve. I don't know where you live, but if you're in the U.S., most people probably won't know about the political issues with Saoirse.

I would use the original spelling of Aine, if you want to use a Celtic name. Anya is a Russian nickname for Anna, and if I saw it, I would assume the parents wanted to use a Russian name, and picked Anya without realizing it's only a nickname.
January 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
That is exactly my fear as well.. I didnt think of it myself as Russian but then I was doing some digging and thought about that aspect

Is a name like Aine Saoirse just begging for trouble? or Aine Caoimhe.. WHY are some names like Siobhan so much more acceptable. Why cant Saoirse as acceptable as Sean or Aiden! Oh I dream

January 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I think if you want an Irish name, you should go with Aine for sure ( ), because Anya is actually the Russian spelling. I knew a girl named Anya growing up and everyone always commented on what a beautiful name she had. Even though she sometimes was jokingly nicknamed "onion".

I love Kieran, but prefer the traditional spelling Ciaran.

Oh my, you just listed my three favorite Irish female names, lol... and in fact they're my three favorite names overall, lol. I plan to use Caoimhe AND Siobhan for girl #1 (Rhiannon Caoimhe Siobhan)... and I have Saoirse planned as a middle name for girl #2, lol. So I'm totally on board with those ones. When it comes to Aine though, it ends in the "uh" sound, just like Caoimhe and Saoirse... for that reason, I think Aine Siobhan sounds the best (and how beautiful!).

Maeve has always been on my list (possible first name for girl #2), but it's always felt incomplete to me... and I don't know why. I think it's the whole one-syllable thing. However, it's been growing on me. Aine Maeve is pretty, but I still like Aine Siobhan more. Are you saying Cait like "kate", "kawt", or "koyt"? (Caitlin is traditionally pronounced "kawt-leen" or "koyt-leen", which is why I ask)

January 3rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
That is exactly my fear as well.. I didnt think of it myself as Russian but then I was doing some digging and thought about that aspect

Is a name like Aine Saoirse just begging for trouble? or Aine Caoimhe.. WHY are some names like Siobhan so much more acceptable. Why cant Saoirse as acceptable as Sean or Aiden! Oh I dream[/b]

I feel you on that! I actually thought using Seamus would be pretty acceptable in the US, as I thought most people have heard/seen it before (same with Siobhan)... and while I knew it wasn't AS known as Sean or Aidan, I didn't think we would get TOO much problems with it. I was half-right. There are some people who are able to pronounce it correctly at first glance, but most people say "see-mus". *laughs* But then again, we DO live in Hawaii... maybe it would be better elsewhere? I don't know. But that's part of the reason why I decided to keep the more "complicated" names we had picked out for future kids in the middle name slot.

I don't think people will have much trouble with Aine, to be honest. I think you may have to correct them once, but after that first time correcting them, I don't think it would be difficult for them to comprehend it. I mean, it won't get as puzzled a look as when you say Caoimhe is pronounced "kee-vuh" or Niamh is "nee-iv/neev". I think most people will be able to wrap their mind around the fact that Aine is said like Anya.

What about Sinead? Aine Sinead is nice.

January 3rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
The Cait that I knew sounded like a mix of kay and koy sounds.. almost a Kay-oit if that makes sense. Remember accent plays into how we all say and hear things. It was a one syllable word for sure (not prn kay-oit) but sounded more like it had a hard "w" and not just a oy sound.. is that making a lick of sense? I didnt think so.. kinda like the subtle difference in Mora and Moira... you know its a difference but hard to describe sometimes

I agree on the difficulty ending in two vowels, the double ay-ay sound. The Gaelic prn of Aine is def a strong On/Ohn-ya sound

we are now throwing in Roisin (I know that he must be influenced by Roisin Murphy.. we are big fans. Wonder if Imogen will catch on with him as well)

our last name is not a vowel ending... its a Ck sound and with Irish and Scottish roots (we have been attempting to trace it fully). I am also able to trace my own roots to Scotland. My main lineage was last name of Veitch

I am really not wanting to let go of Saoirse! However, as we are not pregnant and have no idea if we'll have a girl, its a moot point (ok not to me, I"m just trying not to obsess.. yeah right!!)

Sinead seems forever linked to the singer for me..and not in a good way that makes me want to use it. I hate that, but its the truth. I'm worried if we use Aine that even if they do get it easily, combining Aine with Caoimhe or Saoirse will just be a huge stumbling block.

dh is stuck on the Kieran spelling.. and since I feel lucky that he finally came around on using the name in general, I'll stop fighting him on the spelling.. I secretly spell it Ciaran when I think of it but i'll meet him in the middle

January 3rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Roisin is lovely... I just gave that as a middle name for our new dog (don't let that deter you from using it because it's being used on an animal... we tend to give our animals human names. And middle names, haha... she's Artemis Roisin ).

Aine Roisin is very nice.

Though I still think Aine Siobhan is top notch.

January 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
I like Aine Siobhan or Aine Maeve

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search