Aine

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Starting a new topic for this spelling.. is it too difficult for most Americans? If you saw it, do you instantly think "Ain- as in pain"?

Its prn Awn-ya (as in Anya). If you were corrected, would it become normal for you to see this name prn this way? Its a very ancient Celtic name and I'd really like to use this spelling

Would it be too difficult to use on resumes, applications and for teachers, or is it easy to be corrected and understood?

Many "difficult" names such as Siobhan are much more common in America and easy to prn.. they've become almost mainstream. I am wondering if Aine could do the same

January 4th, 2008, 11:40 AM
MamaBx3
I really like this name, and love the traditional spelling for it.

But, I've only ever seen this name spelled Anya.. So I'm not sure about it becoming mainstream.
January 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Well you know my opinion, lol.

I personally think that at first people will say it wrong, but I think you'd only have to correct them once and they would get it. It's not as "huh?" as Caoimhe or Siobhan or even Aoife. It's not as complicated as those names and I think most people will be able to comprehend it once corrected.

I much prefer Aine over Anya.

January 4th, 2008, 11:47 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I 1st read it I thought it was like Pain but I love the name Anya, very pretty

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

January 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Bubbaloo thanks.. I have no idea if it will mainstream, but I feel that its much easier to mainstream than many other Irish names. I like that at least it doesnt get immediete negative responses or "no you MUST use Anya" because the nickname useage of Anya (the spelling) immedietly turns me off

This is a statement on another board that really pushes me to use Aine or not use the name in anyway other than Aine. Its not in response to me, its in response to another poster a few years ago
Quote:
Aine is lovely, but does have pronunciation issues in English speaking countries. If you aren't prepared to deal with those, pick another name. Don't butcher a lovely, legitimate Irish name for your own personal reasons.[/b]
Niamh we are heavily weighing Saorise and Siobhan

Quote:
When I 1st read it I thought it was like Pain but I love the name Anya, very pretty [/b]
ok good.. sounds like at least its easily corrected. its a name that I consider a memory name.. you just have to remember how to say it.

January 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
I would definitely pronounce it wrong the first time.. but it's very beautiful.

January 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
BamaGymnCoach's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to BamaGymnCoach Send a message via MSN to BamaGymnCoach
I thought Ain-ee, but, my daughter's name is Ainsley. LOL

Beware, though, for some reason, people will NEVER pronounce her name right... Ainsley still gets called "Anns-lee" (even after I've corrected them with, "No, it's actually AINS-Lee!) and it drives me INSANE.

</div>
January 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
yeah I'm def sure that it wil have problems, but I wonder if its enough that i wont get that upset about it

I used to think ain-Pain as well or Eye-knee

January 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Niamh we are heavily weighing Saorise and Siobhan[/b]
My vote is Aine Siobhan. I feel that it flows nicer than Aine Saoirse. The double "uh" sounds at the end sound a little awkward to me. But that's just my opinion. Maybe you can use Saoirse on a future child? (if you decide to have any of course)

January 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM
MamaBx3
Ohh Aine Siobhan is gorgeous !
January 5th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I absolutely love Aine, Aoife, Saorise, and Siobhan! Aine Siobhan is a great combo. It's gorgeous and I know right off the bat how to pronounce it, so you wouldn't have to correct me. Use it!

January 6th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im english and i wouldnt have a clue how to pronounce most traditional Irish names. If you love the name and dont mind the mispronounciations then use it :-)
January 7th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would know how to pronounce it.

It seems that since Aine is so short, you'd only have to correct it once. Teachers and neighbors and such would probably get it wrong (or hopefully ask if they weren't sure!) but it's just four letters. It's not super-hard for someone to remember.

</div>
January 8th, 2008, 03:30 PM
StaeheliGrl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not familiar with celtic pronunciations so I would mispronounce it at first. it is a pretty name though.

January 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh you know how I feel about it Lauren! I LOVE Aine (only spelled that way) so yes I knew how to pronounce it. It's on our list but DH isn't to keen on it. People seem to know how to butcher even the simplest names so I wouldn't worry about it. I've had people spell my name wrong and you can't get any easier than Jennifer.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

January 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
yep I've seen Jennifer every which way in the book, and yours is the "normal" spelling!

we are pretty set on this name and this spelling so we'll just have to endure it if its dificult. the more I say and see this name and middle names, the more I just dont want to do anything else

January 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM
BrownEyedGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
It's beautiful and you should definitley use it. People are only going to need to be told once how to pronounce it. It'll probably be easier to pronounce than a lot of the tryndified names, haha. Saoirse is one of my favorite names that I'd like to use one day too.
January 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I first read the post, I pronounced it 'ain' like pain. It took me to the end of the posts to remember to pronounce it 'awnya'! =D But I finally got it!

For people who will be using it often ...family, friends, teachers ...it won't be hard for them to get used to it ...just depends on their speed of remembering. =D

I had known upon looking at the name that it was pronounced differently that it was spelled ...I don't know if I'd run across it somewhere else. Maybe when I had looked up names to use for my World of Warcraft characters (I have a huntress named Roisyn and her owl is Siobhan).

I'm sure if I knew more about Celtic and Irish pronunciation I wouldn't have so much trouble saying some of these names! =D

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

January 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
thanks Jessa.. and I'm sorta glad that people will "know" its not prn -ain/pain and at least will ask. Thats good to know

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search