What traditional names do you wish WEREN'T so popular?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
The other post asked about traditional names that you think should (or will) become more popular... well this one is about traditional names that are already popular that you wish weren't (maybe because you love the name and don't like popular names, or maybe because you DON'T like the name and are tired of hearing it). Are there any trends in naming that you wish weren't so popular?

I'll probably think of more later, but here are some names that I wish weren't so popular (because I love the names and don't like too popular names):

Aidan
Colin
Sophia
Olivia
Abigail
Hannah

Traditional names I wish weren't so popular because I DON'T like the name:

Emma (I really hate this name to be honest. I've never liked the way it sounded. It always feels weird coming out of my mouth, and to be frank, I've never found it all that pretty... in fact I think it's kind of ugly. No offense to anyone, of course... as I know there are several Emmas or moms of Emmas here. I first heard the name when the Spice Girls became popular... and I was a huge Spice Girls fan . However, I never liked Baby Spice's name [Emma]. Always bothered me.)
Emily (I don't hate this name as much as Emma, but I've never really liked it either. I'm also sick of hearing it. I prefer Amelia/Amalia)
Gabrielle/Gabriella (just never really cared for it)

Naming trends that I wish weren't so popular:

Names ending in "n". That seems to be a very popular trend, especially among boys. Unfortunately most of my favorite names (and names I want to use for my children) end in "n": Siobhan, Rhiannon, Maureen/Mairin, Conan, Finnegan/Fionnagán, Colin, Deaglan, Iain, etc.

What are your's?

January 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A lot of names I used to like suddenly became hugely popular out of nowhere: Isabel/la, Madeleine, Samantha, Sophie/a.

Sophia is probably the worst. I LOVED the name Sophie when I was younger because of books with characters named Sophie, but now Sophia is so popular that a Sophie would blend in with all the Sophias (and, people would assume it was a nickname for Sophia, even though it's actually the French form of the name).

I also like Jessica and Jennifer, but they are/were so popular that I think they'd seem bland to most people.
January 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
BrownEyedGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
If Madeleine weren't so popular it would definitley be at the top of my list. Plus, there are a zillions Madelyns now that are ruining the name for me. I also hate the nickname Maddie which is so annoyingly popular.

Sophie/Sophia
Lily
Eva
Isabel
Grace

Joshua
Christopher
January 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
MamaBx3
I'm lucky, Sophia isn't popular around here at all.

I wish Isabella wasn't so popular, but I'll most likely use it anyways. Popularity doesn't really bother me .. If I love a name, I'm going to use it.
January 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
I like the name Emma but it is just way too popular...I don't mind If I hear the name a few times but when you know 3 Emma's and a Jemma it does tend to ruin it. The same goes for Sophia and Michaela, they're beautiful names but I just know way to many not to mention all the misspellings of Michaela

Gabrielle, Isabel/la and Noah are at the top of my list, both are fairly popular according to the name popularity lists but I have yet to meet a Gabrielle or Isabel/la and I've only met one Noah so while these names appear to be quite popular I'm quite happy to use them because there aren't many around here.

BTW Britanie I think Nevaeh, Sophia and Isabella make an adorable sibset!
January 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Apparently, Audrey is getting popular. Which makes me a little upset because I've loved it forever.

Also:
Olivia
Isabel
Amelia
Julian
Jack
Liam
January 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I immediately thought of Elizabeth/Elisabeth. I would totally use it if it weren't every other little girl's middle name! That was always annoying for my sister ... she introduces herself and everyone feels the need to say "Oh, Michelle is my/my mom's/my sister's/my dog's middle name!"

If it was popular as a first name, I don't think that would bother me as much. But it's a great name and it just keeps getting stuck in the middle.

</div>
January 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM
mamalovesdaddyxo's Avatar Veteran
I think everywhere I turn there is an Aiden;;Jack;;Abigail;;Maddie;;and Sophia.
I dont dislike the names, but they arent for me, you know? I do like Aaiden though I think..I really like Jaiyden more though!

January 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
m.and.a
Ha ha, you crack me up. You don't like it that they're popular, because you like them Isn't people liking them what makes them popular? I'm lucky in that I haven't really been attracted to popular names. I have to admit, I've always loved the name Sylvia, but won't consider it because I think it's gonna be in the top 20. First thing I do when I find a name that I like is check the SSA or baby name wizard. Closest I've gotten to top 10 is Morgan, which, I guess does end in "n".
January 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM
samantha*'s Avatar Veteran
Amelia, Isabella, Madeleine, Olivia, Noah and probably more i can't think of.
January 18th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Names that i wish were a little less popular, i still like the names and consider using them as i dont choose my names by how unpopular or popular they are (as you can tell by my sig lol). The ones in bold i still plan on using as FN.

Grace
Olivia
Isabella
Amelia
Hannah
Ava

Matthew
Ethan
Joshua
Jacob

January 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Traditional names I wish weren't so popular because I DON'T like the name:

Emma (I really hate this name to be honest. I've never liked the way it sounded. It always feels weird coming out of my mouth, and to be frank, I've never found it all that pretty... in fact I think it's kind of ugly. No offense to anyone, of course... as I know there are several Emmas or moms of Emmas here. I first heard the name when the Spice Girls became popular... and I was a huge Spice Girls fan . However, I never liked Baby Spice's name [Emma]. Always bothered me.)
Ditto. Im glad SOMEONE else said it I've always hated that name. I've only met one myself. And Im sure that Rachel naming her baby Emma on Friends helped in popularity as well.

I really like the names Emily, Lily and Audrey.

January 27th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Just a quick note to say that Emma is a name I can´t stand. Every girl in my school was either Emma or had Emma as a middle name. But I think its a very English name, like Louise, which I also can´t stand. The worst names are Emma-Louise or Emma-Jane, they jsut don´t sound right.

February 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
BeckyK's Avatar Super Mommy
I love Jack and am worried it will become popular here. So far it hasn't but I bet it will be popular as soon as I use the name. lol

Names I am tired of:

Cole
Josh
Aiden and anything that rhymes with it
Jacob
Alexander

Emma
Emily
Maddie (Madison, Madeline, etc...)
Abigail

My Chart

Charting your cycle? Try reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler</div>
March 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
I really hate that Madeleine/Madeline has become so popular. When we had named our little girl that, we didn't know anyone with the name, and all of a sudden it's #4 on the list or something! *sigh* Luckily she's still the only one her age in our town that we know of (small town). Still...

I love the name Amelia, always have. Wish that wasn't so popular either.

March 19th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Starzy Send a message via MSN to Starzy
Quote:
I really hate that Madeleine/Madeline has become so popular. When we had named our little girl that, we didn't know anyone with the name, and all of a sudden it's #4 on the list or something! *sigh* Luckily she's still the only one her age in our town that we know of (small town). Still...

I love the name Amelia, always have. Wish that wasn't so popular either.[/b]
Me too.. I have a Madelyn. (I know someone above my post said that the spelling of the name wasn't for them) I wasn't overly picky - just wanted it easier for people to pronounce. She's Made-lynn , not Made-line, and I know it's not hard to mis pronounce that name. I still love my daughter's name. She's the only one in this area that I know with her name and spelling.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
March 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
MammaLivia's Avatar Member
My number one name I wish weren't so popular is Olivia. It was my grandmothers name, and it is my middle name, and I would love to use it on my daughter. However, the special meaning would be lost if there is 15billion other Olivias!
Madeleine- SO PRETTY!

Aidan- I love the name Aidan, but it is every other kids name.
My son's name is Christian so I am obviously not completely against popluar names, but he isn't going to go to school with 14 Christians. Maybe another one but nothing near what all of the Ava's are going to have to deal with.
April 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Babybug5's Avatar Proud mommy to 5

Girls names:

Grace
Hannah
Allison/Allyson
Makayla/Michaela
Daisy
Elizabeth/Elisabeth
Skylar

Boys Names:

Matthew
Elijah
Aiden
Logan
Xavier
Spencer
Landen
Thomas

Nuetral Names:

Jaden/Jayden
Makenzie
April 12th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I kinda wish Emma wasn't so popular because it's my favorite girl name, but honestly that isn't going to stop me from using it. It was my grandmother's name so I have had it picked since way before it gained popularity. I have the same situation with Isabella, but would use it also.

As for boys, I wish Aiden wasn't so popular because I really love it, but my DH will not let me use it because he says it's too "preppy." If it wasn't a popular name, I don't think he would have this feeling about it.

May 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to shauna0325
Quote:
If Madeleine weren't so popular it would definitley be at the top of my list. Plus, there are a zillions Madelyns now that are ruining the name for me. I also hate the nickname Maddie which is so annoyingly popular.

Sophie/Sophia
Lily
Eva
Isabel
Grace

Joshua
Christopher[/b]

A bit of weirdness here. My name is Shauna also and I have daughters named Grace and Lily. I also love Sophie.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search