What's your opinion on

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to bellax0 Send a message via Yahoo to bellax0
Naming your child a certain name, but only calling them by a nickname?

For instance, naming your son John when you just plan on calling him Jack. Or your daughter Abigail when you're going to call her Abby.
January 7th, 2008, 07:26 AM
BrownEyedGirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't see a problem with it. I think most names get shortened to a nickname when they're younger anyway, whether you mean to or not. It's good that when the child gets older they have a stronger name to fall back on (Abby could go by Abigail, etc.) I don't like when nicknames are given as the full names.
January 7th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's fine and usually a good idea.

For me part of naming children is finding a name I like, and being reasonably sure there will be an option they also like. Since I don't know my kids yet, that means I try to pick names that have more than one nickname possibility. When you give a nickname as a full name, they don't have that option. People named Katherine can go by Kate or Katie or Kathy, but if your name is Katie, you can't go by Katherine (well you could, but it would be confusing).

If I wanted to call a daughter Abby, yes, I'd probably name her Abigail. That way she has a choice. She can be Abby, or Gail, or Abigail, and have enough options to fit her lifestyle and preferences.

</div>
January 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
i agree with the others, I think its a good idea to give the child a full name as a given name so they have the choice as they grow older what they want to be called.

January 7th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to bellax0 Send a message via Yahoo to bellax0
good points. I had not thought about that
January 7th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Super Mommy
I don't get it, at all. What's the point? There's also people who call their children by their middle name and plan on that before they're even born. I just don't get it.
January 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
My DD's name is Katerina but we knew before she was born that we would call her Kaia. Here is why . . .
Katerina is DH's sister's name who passed away suddenly when she was 20. DH was very close to her and it meant a lot to him to name our DD after her. However she went by Kathy. I wanted Kaia to be her own person, not always associated with Kathy. So we decided a nickname before she was born because we knew his family would start calling her Kathy right away (some of them did anyway but are getting better)
Also I like the fact that as she gets older she can go by Katerina, Kat, Kate etc. if she chooses that Kaia isn't what she wants.

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013
January 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I definitely would do that with names like "Abby" or "Katie" that don't really sound that complete on their own. But there are some names like "Kaia" that I think can stand alone.

January 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree that it's a good idea. Nicknames are fine, but they aren't good as full names. I would hate to have to put something like Katie or Lizzie on a resume.

Using a nickname as a full name does nothing but make sure that your child has to use the nickname for his or her entire life, even if s/he hates it. My parents used to call me Annie as a nickname for Anna. I hated it, and when I was about nine, I just started telling people to call me Anna. If Annie had been my full name, I'd still be stuck with it. Just because you like a nickname doesn't mean your child will.
January 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Audrey doesn't have a nickname, that's why I love it!

Well, Jesse calls her Audio, but we're not stupid enough to actually name her Audio.
January 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to melaniebabyy Send a message via Yahoo to melaniebabyy
Like the ladies said, I think it's fine if the name can't stand alone... like Abby or Katie. I know a lot of people that do it..

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center"></div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search