Calling him by his middle name?

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Super Mommy
Ok, if this baby is a boy his official name will be Henry so that Grandpa Henry can see the first great- grandson with his name (he's 87). But we would like for him to have a name of his own as well, all these Henry's can get confusing. So now we are thinking of calling him by his middle name. We like Henry Benjamin, but Benjamin doesn't feel like a First-born son name to me? So now I need names that sound ok with Henry in front of it, but can stand on their own as well. We like name that are kind of unique, but still more traditional or biblical. (Our daughter is "Maria Joy" and if this one is a girl than she will be "Anastasia Hope".) one name that we kind of like is "Henry Ariel" (pronounced AR-EEE-EL, "AR" as in "far") Ariel means "Lion of God" and we would probably call him ARI. But I realize that name would probably stump most people, so I'm not sure if it's just to weird or what. Any ways, let me know what you think!

Melissa
Man, I do not remember being this obsessive with my first pregnancy!!
February 16th, 2008, 07:44 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually like Ari for a boy... so if Henry Ariel is what you guys like, then go for it! Is using Henry as a middle name completely out of the question?

Other names I like with Henry as a first name: (sorry, they aren't all "unique")

Henry Adam
Henry Eli
Henry Elijah
Henry Asher
Henry Jude

I'll come back with more later...
February 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Super Mommy
Oh we love Elijah too, but our last name starts with an R, so his intials would be HER. Um, I think we are pushing it by not "calling" him Henry, so it would probably be a family disaster to not have Henry as the "first" name.
February 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Little Mrs Sunshine
i think calling him by a middle name is fine - lots of people do that!
February 16th, 2008, 09:14 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You should name him and call him what YOU want, not what that side of the family wants Just my opinion though!

Also, as far as having the initials HER if you used Henry Elijah... I don't think it is that big of a deal. I really don't see him being teased for it or anything like that. And especially not if he won't even go by Henry. Most people probably wouldn't even know that his first name was Henry if he didn't go by it.
February 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I really like Ari for a boy! Cute!

February 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to beckii Send a message via Yahoo to beckii
I think its fine to call him by his middle name. I'm not a big fan of Ariel on a boy, just because I think of the little mermaid everytime I see it... but Ari is cute.
February 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Veteran
I don't understand it really, middle names are middle names and first names are first names in my opinion, i'd just name him Ariel Henry or Benjamin Henry, I am sure Grandpa Henry would be thrilled with a grandson to have his name as a middle name and it'd save the baby saying ''my first name is Henry but I go by _____'' for the rest of his life.

February 17th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Elysia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Elysia Send a message via MSN to Elysia
My parents were going to do the same thing for me if I was a boy, name me Neal Isaac after my late Uncle Neal but I was going to go by Zac. I love Henry Ariel with the nickname Ari...come to think of it Henry Isaac doesn't sound bad either. Some others:

Henry James
Henry Lucas
Henry Edward
Henry Jacob
Henry Miles
Henry Micah
Henry Joseph
Henry Isaiah
Henry Noah
Henry Connor
Henry Joshua
Henry Jasper
Henry Sawyer
Henry Seamus
Henry Oliver
February 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My stepson goes by his middle name. What a pain it is. It's more of a pain when it comes to filling out papers..is this an official paper, which name do I use for this form, etc.

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
February 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I love Henry Ariel and Ari is an adorable nickname. I love it and I think it flows well with your daughter's name.
February 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM
JenAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I don't understand it really, middle names are middle names and first names are first names in my opinion, i'd just name him Ariel Henry or Benjamin Henry, I am sure Grandpa Henry would be thrilled with a grandson to have his name as a middle name and it'd save the baby saying ''my first name is Henry but I go by _____'' for the rest of his life.[/b]
I totally agree with this. I think it'll still mean as much to Grandpa just to know he means enough to you to have a namesake, no matter what the placement of his name is. It's a special honor, give your son a special name of his own.

PS I love Ari. LOVE IT!
February 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think its fine to call him by his middle name. I'm not a big fan of Ariel on a boy, just because I think of the little mermaid everytime I see it... but Ari is cute.[/b]
I agree with the above. I also agree with PP about the middle name, first name thing i dont really get why people use the first name they choose to then call them by their middle name. Im sure your grandpa would be happy with Henry as a MN.
February 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Quote:
Quote:
I think its fine to call him by his middle name. I'm not a big fan of Ariel on a boy, just because I think of the little mermaid everytime I see it... but Ari is cute.[/b]
I agree with the above. I also agree with PP about the middle name, first name thing i dont really get why people use the first name they choose to then call them by their middle name. Im sure your grandpa would be happy with Henry as a MN.
[/b]
Ari can also stand alone, if you're unsure of Ariel.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search