Moira/Maire

Forum: Baby Names

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Names LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
For a long time my brother has been obsessed with the name Moira. Ever since he was a little boy and saw the movie Hook for the first time, he's loved that name and has wanted to use it for a daughter. (Wendy's middle name is Moira... Wendy Moira Angela Darling) He wants to use the combination Moira Claire (which I think is lovely). The problem is that his long-term partner (my brother is gay) hates the name and he prefers Bianca Rose (which I think is nice I guess... but boring... I think Moira Claire is MUCH prettier).

I used to not like Moira very much... but over time I've come to ADORE it. My brother and his boyfriend are nowhere near ready to have children (they would adopt), and my brother doesn't plan to have any kids for AT LEAST another 10 years or so. He has told me that since his partner hates the name and that they wont be having kids anytime soon... he is letting me have the name for our second daughter (if we ever have one... we don't even have one daughter... but if/when we do, her name is already decided on and set in stone).

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I really want the second daughter to have an M-first name. I *LOVE* Margaret, but it just isn't Celtic enough for me or our style in names. I don't think we would use it, but it keeps creeping into my mind. I also really wanted to use Maureen or Mairin (pronounced basically the same), but I forgot that my husband has a friend named Maureen. So that one's out. I'm really loving Moira, but it's an Anglicized version of Maire (pronounced either like Moira, MAH-ruh, MOY-uh, or MY-ruh... depending on dialect. We'd likely pronounce it like Moira)... and I try to have as little amount of Anglicized names as possible, without having crazy unpronouncable names (if I love a really hard to pronounce name, I put it in the middle name slot... which is what I plan to do with the name Caoimhe. It'll be one of the middle names for my first daughter, if I have one). I'm aware that right off the bat most Americans would be a little confused in how to pronounce Maire, but if told how to pronounce it (MOY-ruh), would you continue to find it difficult to pronounce? For example, with my name, Niamh, it's pronounced either NEEV or NEE-iv and even after telling people how it's pronounced I still get puzzled looks, lol. Would you still have a puzzled look on your face if I told you that Maire was pronounced MOY-ruh?

My second question is, WDYT (in general) of Moira or Maire? Do you like it, hate it, think it's pretty, think it's ugly... etc etc. Be honest! Despite what opinions are (bad, good, whatever) I'll probably still use it... but I just wanted to hear opinions.

BTW, I would not be using the Moira Claire combination... even though I think it's pretty. Claire doesn't fit my naming style.

March 17th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Baby Names Host
Send a message via AIM to carlyheartsphil
i love Moira! I fell in love with it when I heard it on Hook too
I think Seamus and Moira would be really lovely together too. Honestly though, I don't get how Maire is pronounced the same as Moira.. I think it's the -a vs. -e ending thats throwing me off. You probably would have to pronounce it for everyone but I mean Moira isnt hard to say at all so after the first time I'm sure they would have it down and it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Anyway... either way I really like it!

March 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Thanks for the comments!

I'm probably going to go with the spelling Moira, if I ever actually have a second daughter. I like Maire more as I think it's prettier looking and I prefer non-Anglicized forms of names... however I think pronounciation may be too difficult (she might get "mare" a lot, as in a female horse)... plus, it kind of looks like someone mispelled Marie.

Yeah, I also agree that Seamus and Moira go well with each other. Like I said, Moira is our choice for our SECOND daughter... if we ever have one. For our first daughter it'd be Rhiannon. So the sibset (with no other boys besides Seamus) would be: Seamus, Rhiannon, and Moira.

ETA: Oh yeah, and the middle name choices (there will be two middle names) are between:

Brigid
Bronwen or Branwen
Guinevere (which is my middle name)
Gwendolen

I think Moira Brigid Guinevere flows the best... but it's all still up in the air. The full name sibset with this combo would be:

Seamus Padraig Scott
Rhiannon Caoimhe Siobhan
Moira Brigid Guinevere

May 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Niahm, have I ever told you that I want to name your children? Seriously, you have gutsy choices and I'd love to go crazy with my favorite Irish names! I love Sorcha so much. I wish DH would let me use it, it might've been Audrey's name if he'd let me!

Anyway! I love Moira, it's one of my many faves. Moira Bronwen Guinevere is fantastic!

Do you think Audrey Jane and Sorcha Bronwen could work?? Eh? !
May 2nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
Thanks!

I've been rethinking though... especially since we're TTC #2 now. Which will either be Rhiannon or Conan... but for our second daughter (if we have one), I've been rethinking Moira. I've always really loved Brigid and I'm thinking we might actually use that as a first name, instead of Moira. But of course, this is all up in the air. We don't even have one daughter... lol.

I've also decided to use Gwenhwyfar instead of Guinevere. One, because Gwenhwyfar is a more traditional spelling, and two because Guinevere is my middle name. I also just like the spelling of Gwenhwyfar better.

I might keep Moira as a middle name (Brigid Moira Gwenhwyfar possibly), or I may use another name I like... like Maeve or Sinead or Saoirse... etc etc. Of course... I have LOTS of time to think this over. Years.

I like Audrey with Bronwen better than Audrey with Sorcha. Audrey and Bronwen would be very cute and nice.

May 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love Moira! I saw you mention Maeve, which I also love. I think Moira and Brigid go very well together, in whatever order you choose to put them in. Oh, and could you tell me how this one -Caoimhe- is pronounced? Btw I love your name, spelling and pronunciation!

Formerly known as "mommynina"

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
May 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Quote:
I love Moira! I saw you mention Maeve, which I also love. I think Moira and Brigid go very well together, in whatever order you choose to put them in. Oh, and could you tell me how this one -Caoimhe- is pronounced? Btw I love your name, spelling and pronunciation![/b]

Caoimhe is pronounced "KEE-vuh". The "mh" makes a "v" sound... just like in my name Niamh (NEE-iv) Thanks btw! And happy mother's day!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search