Pregnancy and Smoking

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Smoking
Yes 39 52.00%
No 36 48.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2005, 04:15 PM
sandycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sandycheeks
I did quit, but it has been one rough road, I am going on 4 months quitting, but it has not been easy, and I take day by day, this has been one the hardest things I have went through, and it still feels like day one to me. Its been one tough battle.
December 21st, 2005, 07:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just took the test a few days ago and it came back + and I am trying to quit smoking as well. Harder than I thought it would be! I have cut down to about 10-15 cigs a day from my usual pack and a half a day habit, and plan on slowly getting rid of them altogether.

December 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a few in the beginning, but I havent had a cigarette in 3.5 months.. but before that really only had 5-6 cigarettes in a 3 month period.

I still want one every day but I know I'm doing the right thing

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
December 22nd, 2005, 10:19 AM
mama2jacob&charlotte's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mama2jacob&charlotte
I quit right before we started TTC ... that was in July and I haven't smoked since my 29th birthday, which was about 15 years I had smoked 1 pack a day.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. It was soooooooo hard at first and it is still hard now. I still want to smoke every single day. Lately I have been having dreams where I smoke. I haven't, IRL, but I still want to, and I thought it would be easy after this long. Not so. It is EASIER but not easy.

*sigh* It's hard to do the right thing.

I just have to tell myself that I don't want to go through the beginning stages of quitting again so I don't start after the baby is born.

Thanks to JaidynsMum for my awesome siggy!
December 22nd, 2005, 10:35 AM
aihsela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aihsela Send a message via MSN to aihsela
I quit 2 months before we ttc. I actually didn't find it too too hard. I don't even think about them now but I know that's because there is another life at risk. After the babies out..the battle will be on again I just know it.
December 22nd, 2005, 10:40 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
i was a heavy smoker (pack and half a day to 2 packs) and i always told myself no matter what, as soon as i get pregnant im going to quit. and when the test came back positive til my first doc appointment (2 days) i had about 3 ciggies.

when i went to the doc they couldnt find the baby or the heartbeat and i needed to go for more testing. it freaked me out totally but it turns out its because i was alot earlier than i thought. i had 2 cigarettes after that. i quit totally once my doc told me the hormones are doubling like they should and you have a viable pregnancy on your hands!!

it was kinda hard, especially through all the stress in the beginning of the pregnancy(bed rest and hemmhoraging) but now i cant stand the smell of cigarettes and im so glad i quit and i have no intentions of smoking another one ever again. this was the best thing i could do for my daugher...and more importantly myself.

December 29th, 2005, 08:55 AM
~Heather~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Heather~
Well I am one of the bad ones. I have continued to smoke through my whole pregnancy. At first I cut down a lot, but not anymore. And everything is fine with my baby. He is actually measuring a little bigger than average.

December 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MelodyS
Just thought I would throw this out to you all. I quit smoking as soon as I found out I was pregnant. It was very hard at first but my Dr. put it to me like this. Women who smoke have very narrow blood vessels. Blood vessels are what supply your baby oxygen through the umbilical cord. Imagine trying to breathe through a straw all the time. This is what it is like for your baby when you smoke.

January 6th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, once the all-day nausea started to kick in, it has been much easier to cut down on smoking. I'm down to around 5 cigs a day now.

January 21st, 2006, 09:07 PM
maximabella's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to maximabella Send a message via MSN to maximabella Send a message via Yahoo to maximabella
I also quit, I smoked maybe an average of 1 a day when I found out, til I was like 6 weeks along. Some days I had 2, some I had none.
It was hard, especially when the pregnancy was unplanned, Id just started a new job, and I was so worried w/ normal first trimester fears----quitting smoking on top of that was hard.

In the second trimester, Id guess I had 2-3 full smokes.

Now that Im in the third tri, I had...1.

Its getting harder again!
March 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
irishxrose
I finally quit four days ago, and I haven't had a craving yet! I'm proud of myself.

I tried to quit early on, but I was so stressed out, I really couldn't. In the past few weeks though, it was making me sick, and I couldn't stop thinking about the way it was affecting my baby. I had to quit.
April 19th, 2006, 05:47 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had quit and then broke down and now quitting again... its a hard road ladies.

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
May 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Updated: I ended up quitting completely when the morning sickness hit hard. And I have not smoked at all in over 3 months!

May 15th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Regular
I didn't smoke once during my pregnancy. Unfortunately I have started up my old habits again.
May 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well... Ya know... This is the place to be... I havent had a ciggarrette in 12 days this time... i havent bought a pack in quite awhile... so... the road CAN be paved, we just need to keep chipping at it!

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
June 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
whitlovesoak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to whitlovesoak
hi this is my first time checking out this board and i am ttc. but still smoking. only like 5-6 a day but i still feel guilty about it. i know that i will be able to quit once i see that + but then aren't the risks of starting again after deliver higher if you don't quit b4 you get preggo?

</div>
June 8th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
aren't the risks of starting again after deliver higher if you don't quit b4 you get preggo?[/b]
Hmm, I have no idea. I don't see why after 8 months of being smoke free why would someone want to return to smoking?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search