So about knowing my cycle/body...

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2006, 09:20 AM
mrobinson
I picked up this book "taking control of your fertility." So I was one of those people who had the old school, family/fertile method mistaken with this fertile awarness method. I feel kinda silly about it because I was on the pill for 5 years and after learning more about it, I got off it and we have used condoms the whole time since... which means I could've been bareback with DH all this time but wasn't because of lack of knowledge... so then I realized, am I alone? I think I'm going to make this a personal goal to give this book and knowledge to any future girls I have so they know their body even better and hopefully stay off the pill. I was talking to my real life pregnant friend and she told me that her and her husband used it for a year. She knew her body cycle (because of the temps, etc.) so well, that when they decided to have a baby, they had a date night and *blam* she was preggo.

Am I alone? Or how did you learn about this?
January 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I learned about all this on this website. I had no idea how many signs our bodies give us about fertility and planning. I will definately use the family planning methods I learned after our baby is born to prevent another pregnancy right away. Forget b/c and condoms all the time!!!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

January 18th, 2006, 03:54 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I learned about all this on this website. I had no idea how many signs our bodies give us about fertility and planning. I will definately use the family planning methods I learned after our baby is born to prevent another pregnancy right away. Forget b/c and condoms all the time!!! [/b]
No doubt!

At least we're learning now, right?

January 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Super Mommy
I've known about NFP since I was in high school (It is the only type of "birth control ok'd by the catholic church, and I went to a catholic school) however I am far to lazy to chart and stuff... so I take my pill.
February 4th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Natalies_Momma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The things they DON'T teach you in health class, right? I know what you mean, I picked up that book, and figured out charting, then got the program from the website - I think it was like $40 or something, and low and behold, that's how I concieved my daughter!!! I LOVE NFP, It's my method of BC now, as I totally refuse to go back on anything hormonal.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I am SO glad there's another woman out there, taking control!!!

</div>
February 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM
groovie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree. I think a lot of people are uneducated about it. I have PCOS with very irregular cycles (working on it throught meds now), so it really wouldn't have done me a lot of good to chart. I got the book before i knew I had PCOS and it still has a lot of great information in it.
February 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM
mrobinson
Thanks girls! I'm excited because I really feel we'll be able to spot any potential issues because of this method... I mean, it's a lot of work like KSAS was mentioning but at least it's available! (Now if we can just tell everyone.)
February 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
Veteran
When I get married, I plan on using this too. I don't believe in using other types of birth control. I have a question though. How do you do this if your cycles are irregular?

</div>
February 24th, 2006, 12:03 PM
mrobinson
Is your cervix fluid regular? I wonder if tracking that is a start?

Or by irregular do you mean something a little different?
March 2nd, 2006, 04:07 PM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm of two minds about this at the moment. On the one hand, Dh and I used this very successfully to NOT get pregnant for about a year. But we knew we would be having children soon, so if there was an oops, we were comfortable with that. Then, when we decided "now's the time" we used it to get preggers, and bam, first month trying we're pregnant. Now that the baby's due to arrive soon, I'm thinking about what birth control to use. We may or may not have more children, we're not sure yet. We definatly want to wait at least a year before TTC again if we do decide to have more children. On the one hand, this method worked well for us before, and I'm pretty in touch with my cycle, so I'm fairly sure it would be successful again. On the other hand, neither one of us is at all comfortable with the concept of an oops now. I had an unplanned pregnancy years ago that miscarried, now we have this planned pregnancy, and because of that I just hate the thought of another unplanned pregnancy. I've been thinking about the Mirena IUD, but it is progesterone based, and I hated the way the pill made me feel (though that was an estrogen/progesterone combination pill). I'm still really not sure wich way to go on this. Any thoughts?

</div>
March 2nd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Veteran
Quote:

Or by irregular do you mean something a little different?[/b]
How do you track your cervix fluid?

By irregular I mean that my periods are irregular. Like the number of days between them.

</div>
March 10th, 2006, 10:37 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I'm of two minds about this at the moment. On the one hand, Dh and I used this very successfully to NOT get pregnant for about a year. But we knew we would be having children soon, so if there was an oops, we were comfortable with that. Then, when we decided "now's the time" we used it to get preggers, and bam, first month trying we're pregnant. Now that the baby's due to arrive soon, I'm thinking about what birth control to use. We may or may not have more children, we're not sure yet. We definatly want to wait at least a year before TTC again if we do decide to have more children. On the one hand, this method worked well for us before, and I'm pretty in touch with my cycle, so I'm fairly sure it would be successful again. On the other hand, neither one of us is at all comfortable with the concept of an oops now. I had an unplanned pregnancy years ago that miscarried, now we have this planned pregnancy, and because of that I just hate the thought of another unplanned pregnancy. I've been thinking about the Mirena IUD, but it is progesterone based, and I hated the way the pill made me feel (though that was an estrogen/progesterone combination pill). I'm still really not sure wich way to go on this. Any thoughts?[/b]
I really do believe in this method... However, if you guys are totally not wanting it and don't trust it enough... I have used condoms for the last half a dozen years (since going off the pill) so I would go that direction if it was me...

Quote:
Quote:

Or by irregular do you mean something a little different?[/b]
How do you track your cervix fluid?

By irregular I mean that my periods are irregular. Like the number of days between them.
[/b]
I kinda thought you meant periods but I wanted to be sure... The cervix fluid tells you when you're a fertile. The book goes into it but I think most local health clinics or family planning clinics can just give you free info about it too. (I hope that helps.)
August 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm with you!

I've always known about it because of my Catholic faith, but after becoming a nurse I really started to appreciate it from a entirely different health perspective (before it was only a moral issue for me).

Long story short, I have messed up whacko cycles (PCOS). I love that NFP helped me to know more about my body so that I can get to the bottom of WHY my cycles are messed up and fix it for my overall health, not just charting purposes.

And I loved the health benefits so much...I become an instructor. Just passed my one year anniversary of teaching the Billings Ovulation Method. No oopsies for us, and none of my clients either!

I think it's a GREAT thing for women! No health risks, no side effects! Yup, you pay a price to be risk free - having to chart daily and follow the rules, but I think it's all part of being responsible for our fertility and also good stewards of our healthy bodies (not mutilating healthy systems with chemicals or devices, and putting it at risk for problems down the line).

Shawna

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search