peanuts/nuts during pregnancy?

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Veteran
I have no history of peanut/nut allergies in my family. I have read and heard so much conflicting information about eating them while pregnant that I'm seriously confused. Some advocate eating them while pregnant to expose the baby to it and prevent a future food allergy, others say to avoid them because of the possibility of asthma... which one is right??

I know peanuts are at the center of this storm, but are there other nuts that should be on the "think twice" list? I just bought cashews, pistachios, sunflower seeds, almonds and dried apricots (not a nut, but probably came in contact with them) from the local bulk store. I'd hate to think I just sank a bunch of money into something I shouldn't eat!
March 18th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think its all malarky. I asked my OB about that and they said its fine to have peanuts and nuts during pregnancy... I was also being seen by the top high risk Docs in the Country at Johns Hopkins hospital- so I tend to trust what they say. They do SO much research there, I know they are up on all the current/accurate info. Dont worry about it, nuts have a lot of good fats in them that will help baby put on weight and the DHA and Omega-3s will help with brain development! Dont go overboard, but dont deny yourself either...
March 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM
GracieNAmelia'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to GracieNAmelia'sMommy
I ate PB ALL the time while I was preggy with both of my girls and I BF. No problems here. Gracie's favorite sammies are PB&J

April 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
I would think if there was ANY substance to that, then programs like WIC wouldn't give peanut butter to pregnant/nursing moms.

April 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I asked my OB about this when I was pregnant with Autumn. She said that the risk of allergies from consumption of nuts only applies in the third trimester, IF allergies run in your or DH's family.

Also, I noticed that you are located in Canada. I can't remember which company offers it, but there is a baby food company based in Canada who has a form on their website that you can fill out with questions for a dietitian. It takes a few weeks to get a callback, but they answer any questions you have free of charge. If you want to confirm that eating nuts during pregnancy is ok with a professional, I hope you have more luck then I did in figuring out which company it was who offers it

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search