Irregular Pap

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Mommy2Aiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Dr. called me last week and told me I had an irregular pap. I have HPV and that means I need to get a Colposcopy done. They need to screen me for Cervical Cancer. I had the same thing done when I found out I was pg 2 years ago. That is when I found out about the HPV. I am a nervous wreak. On top of that we do not have insurance and I have to find a local program that will pay for it. I have also been having bleeding and spotting in between AF's presence. This could happen b/c of the IUD I have or this. I am just scared. Any one else dealt with this?

August 1st, 2009, 06:55 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
About 6-7 years ago I was diagnosed with an abnormal pap.....the doctor said it was low grade dysplasia. He recommended cryo-surgery and I was 22 (i think) and I trusted him. Did a repap after the cryo, and it was still there. This doctor suggested LEEP surgery, again, I trusted the doctor and had it done, only to find out that it didn't take care of the problem. He suggested laser surgery.

Something in me said no.....I said I was going to get a second opinion and he was very upset about that. We got in an argument over it. I made an appointment with a gynelogical oncologist who did cancer research at MD Anderson in Houston and when they saw my file from his office, they freaked about him doing those surgeries. Apparently they were unnecessary!

The gynelocical oncologist told me that there was a study done and that in large quanitities folic acid can help regenerate cervical tissue. I was told to take 20 folic acid pills a day for 6 months and then do a repap. I wasn't really serious about it, and but I tried. At my 6 month repap, it was still a low grade dysplasia. They told me to keep up the 20 folic acid tablets/day and come back in another 6 months. I then took the folic acid religiously for 6 months, went in for a repap and it was normal! I have never had another abnormal pap since. That was 5+ years ago.

Folic acid is water soluable, so what your body does not absorb, you will pee out.

Also, my mom was having some irregular bleeding and decided to try what that doctor had told me and after about a month, her irregular bleeding stopped.

Folic acid is very inexpensive...I wish you lots of luck!!! Also, I don't ever come on this forum, I just happened to see the thread, so if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by MommaLee; August 1st, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
August 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Mommy2Aiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much for replying. My m/w also suggested folic acid. I didn't know you could take that much. I have been taking 1600 mcg (300 DV). About how much mcg where you taking?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search