Stopping in with questions...

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2009, 01:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I'm Christy! Sorry if this is long, but here is my story

I had my first son at 18 (in 1996) and had an emergency c-section. Within a couple years my periods became horribly painful and heavy. I didn't think much of it and just dealt with it. In 2005 I got pregnant with my daughter after 18 months of trying. I had a scheduled c-section with her. Following her birth I started having a lot of problems with long cycles, cysts and endometriosis. I had surgery to have the cyst removed and the endo burned in November 2006. I was told then that if I wanted any more kids to do it right away. However, after that I had really irregular cycles and ended up concieving on Clomid and had my son in March 08. I nursed him for 8 months and went without a period during that entire time. Once I stopped and it returned it was awful. My cycles were long and then my period would last 3 days, stop for 1, start for 1, stop for 2, etc for up to 2 weeks at a time. Bleeding would also be very heavy. I went back to the doctor and we were planning on doing an ablation but my cervix would not open. I was then told that my only options were birth control pills or a hysterectomy. I opted for pills and took them for a couple months but wasn't doing too well with them. I then had an ultrasound (in July) and was discovered to have a polyp that needed to be removed. I was told to continue taking the pills and schedule a D & C to have the polyp removed. I scheduled it, then my toddler was diagnosed with cancer so I cancelled and yet to go back to have it done. Things are going well with him and I think I might have time to try to schedule this again but now I am questioning whether to go forward with the D & C or whether I should just go for the hysterectomy and be done with it all. I am 31 years old and was told that is really young to have a hysterectomy but I know we are done having kids (dh had a V) and I am pretty tired of all my problems.

How young were you when you had yours and what problems have you had from having it done? Are you glad you had it done?

Thank you

Last edited by (: Christy :); November 23rd, 2009 at 01:32 AM.
November 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM
mommy4micandella's Avatar Proud wife and momma!!
Send a message via AIM to mommy4micandella Send a message via Yahoo to mommy4micandella
I had an ablation a year before my Hyst. (ps there is a med they can give you prior to help your cervix open, at least they did me)

a wonderful website that I was very active on pre-hyst is Hysterectomy Support Discussions, Before Hysterectomy, After Hysterectomy, Recovery - HysterSisters

I'm very sorry that you are going thru all that, and glad your son is doing well.
Ask any and all questions, i'll try to help the best i can

December 1st, 2009, 03:56 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I was also in my early 30's when I had mine. I'm very thankful I did it! The only problem I had was that they accidentally hit my bladder. The hyst wasn't bad (vaginal & laparoscopic), but the bladder repair (major surgery) was way worse than my past c-sections.
December 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Gray Sea
Hi Christy

I am so glad to hear Elliot is doing well.
I had a hysterectomy done mid Aug of this year. I also had horrible heavy periods. Sex was extremely painful. And I knew I was done having kids, I had my tubes tied six weeks after Avi was born. Anyway...

Having had my hyster has been the best thing ever. I have such a wonderful relief now. My hyster was done outpatient, but I had to stay overnight because my gyno feels better if we get over night treatment...to help with the incision pain...and all that.
The surgery wasn't even an hour long. And he left both my ovaries. He took everything else tho. And, I might add too, he did a wonderful job with my vaginal tunnel...hehe...I don't know what it is called...my vaginal wall I guess? Anyway. He didn't shorten it, so I have wonderful support. I no longer have a cervix and uterus. And now sex, is actually enjoyable. Hugo feels no difference at all.

Anyway. The surgery was smooth, but the incision pain was a bit painful. But the drugs were wonderful, and it was very nice to have a whole night to myself, alone.

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me. Here or on FB.

Ya, also, my gyno also suggested the pill, and I said no. And when he did the ultrasound to see why I had heavy painful periods, he said that I had endometriosis, but it was on the outside of my uterus, so the burning of the uterus lining wouldn't do me any good. So ya. I opted for the hyster.

Let me tell you, it is the best decision of my life.
I still keep 'wet' down there...
I haven't gone into 'surgical' menopause because I have my ovaries.
And ya sometimes I do get PMS'y but my gyno said that that is to be expected...

I hope you get some relief soon.

Oh also, I'm only 28. And my doctor kept telling me how it's irreversible. But I knew I was done having kids. Just as he kept talking me out of getting my tubes tied...I just knew. And I was 26 then.
So, when you know you're done, you know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search