Ablation vs. Partial Hyst?

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had heavy periods since I was 14. They've always been very painful and lasted 7 days even with BCP.

Right after my dd was born that all changed. They started lasting for 12 to 14 days EVERY month. I was told I needed an ablation or hyst. We decided to have one more baby and I conceived with Clomid. Our baby boy is due in April and we are done having kids now and ready to move forward.

I also have bladder issues- leakage and my OB says it can all be fixed at the same time. Here's the dilemma: He recommends the uterine ablation b/c the recovery is easier. If he does a hyst it will be vaginal. A friend of mine just had a hyst. She chose the hyst over the ablation b/c her OB/Gyn said that an ablation does not allows work and it can mask the symptoms of endometrial cancer later on.

So what would you ladies do? My theory is this: With an ablation I can't have any more kids anyway which leaves my uterus useless so why not just remove it instead?

I also must admit that I will be mad if he does the ablation and then I have to turn around next year and pay out more money on my deductible to have it repeated or to have a partial hyst.

Thanks for any advice ladies!

January 9th, 2010, 07:07 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
My thoughts, exactly. I chose the hyst. Over and done! I also had a bladder repair 4 days later, but it was an emergency because the surgery knicked my bladder. That was a horrible recovery. What you're talking about should be easy, and yes, it could be done at the same time.
January 9th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Thanks! I start my 2 week appts soon so I'm going to start working on my OB and see what we can come up with. I'd really much rather just have the hyst and be done with it. I can't really see the point in trying the ablation first.

January 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
tinymomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to tinymomma
I had the ablation first and mine didn't work, the ablation was painful and I'm upset I went thru with it. I just didn't want to have major surgery without trying other options. I had the ablation last july and then 2 months later went back to my dr and told him nothing had changed so he scheduled me for the hysterectomy. Luckily I had a laproscopic supracervical hyster (dr left ovaries and cervix)....the recovery was about 3-4 weeks and another 1-2 weeks before I was able to have sex comfortably and exercise. I've had some pink spotting since the surgery, but now am 7 weeks 3 days out and feeling wonderful!
the pain was intense the first week and a half, not gonna kid ya....I went thru 2 bottle of vicodin.
which hysterectomy are you thinking of having?

wife to Chad
SAHM to Megan 10, Elijah 8, Andrew 6, and Joshua 3.
February 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
VTmomma's Avatar Cool Momma
I had The novasure ablation 2 1/2 yrs ago because I also had long(11 day) periods with bleeding very heavy & bad with clots. The ablation was the best thing I ever did. Now I only have my period for about 6 days & hardly need a tampon. A box of 20 regular tampons will last me 2 cycles.

April 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
I had my baby at 37 weeks last week. Turns out shortly after my original post I started having signs of Pre Eclampsia. My OB wouldn't even discuss what to do after the baby b/c he was too concerned with getting the baby here.

So I go in in 5 weeks to discuss my options and see what can be done. During delivery I hemmorhaged so much that my blood count dropped and I thought I was going to have to have a hysterectomy right then but he finally managed to get it stopped.

I've thought about it a lot and I really want my uterus removed. I don't even want to deal with the possibility of a period anymore. He can do it robotically at my local hospital so the downtown and recovery isn't as bad. I'm now at my out of pocket max on my health insurance so everything is covered for the rest of this year at 100%.

April 30th, 2010, 11:06 AM
A.June
Wow, that is all I have to say. I never had any problems with my period until a little over a year ago. Not even BCP are helping. Well the strongest in the world helped but when I had pms I felt psychotic. Now I am on a fourth and this one didn't work this month.

My history since problems:
BCP Sept. 2006 until Dec. 2008
Oct. 2008 started having breakthrough periods without missing pills.
Jan. 2009 went off BCP for eight months still had breakthrough but not heavy.
August 2009 went to see Dr. new BCP same thing only heavier.
Changed BCP to strogest after 4 months,worked but like I said the pms side effects were horrible. This month new BCP day 17 of pilss started period. So now I have it for a week and a half?

Had blood work, tested thyriod. All fine. Had US check for fybriods, all clear?
A hysterectomy has never really been brought up. All she said is if I had fybriods we would discuss options. ..??

Last edited by A.June; April 30th, 2010 at 11:08 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search