Anyone not able to drive?

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran
Hi mamas,

I'm new to JM and just noticed this board. I am visually disabled and I'm not able to drive. I find that people take driving for granted and don't realize how hard life would be for them if they were not able to do so. I hate having to depend on others for everywhere I need to go. Now that I have a baby I hate that she will not be able to rely on me as she gets older to take her to school, appointments, activities, etc. It is very heartbreaking for me. Anyway, I don't want to get into it too much because talking about it upsets me. But I was wondering if there are any other mamas that can't drive. How do you deal with it from day to day?

Dylan Thomas - born into Heaven 2/7/09
Vivian Noelle - 12/17/09
Faith Caroline - 6/26/13
March 22nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
pmdc5286's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pmdc5286 Send a message via Yahoo to pmdc5286
Hi. I am Patty, the host of the board and want to welcome you to the board. I do not face your challenge of not being able to drive, but I know it must be difficult as living with a disability each and every day is challenging. We are here to support one another in any way we can. Let me know if you need anything ok.

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

TTC #3, Our first together

July 9th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hannah-Banana's Avatar Laikon's Mommy
My husband has albinism and is legally blind, so I sort of understand what you go through every day.

It's hard for him, having to rely on me or his parents, even his grandmother to get things done when I'm not around. Today's world is not very accessible to non-drivers. I myself have a paranoia when it comes to driving. The only reason I learned was because when I met my husband I wanted to do it for him. It's uncomfortable and upsetting to me. That probably seems crazy to you, lol.

January 26th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Super Mommy
I can relate. Due to my attention deficit I can't get behind a wheel. We live in a small city (Halifax, Nova Scotia) and I walk or take the bus as much as possible. I also spend a small fortune on taxis - that's going to have to stop once we have the baby!

I share your worries, but at the same time, my mother never drove when we were kids. It was always "dad's job." I learned public transportation early (at 12 I was riding the city bus with my siblings) and used it often. I never felt like I was disadvantaged because of this.
February 9th, 2011, 12:08 PM
accessdenied6875's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to accessdenied6875
I share your problem with driving. I have seizures that are hard to control, and have made the choice not to endanger others unless it is a true emergency. It is hard, and I have wondered if people know what a blessing it is to be able to get around freely. I have wondered what it's like to have a normal brain. Would I feel differently? I have four kids, and my husband is gone most of time. It takes a balancing act to make it work. A church friend takes my kids to school, but there are times that she is out of out. I only have two days available to get any errands/appts. done each week. I believe that we parents who struggle with disability, and yet make it work, will persevere.
March 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I could possibly drive but decided in the long run that it would be better if I didn't because my reflexes are slow and I sometimes space out at times.

So we walk, take a taxi , or my mom (Brendan's grammie) helps out .

May 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM
HeavenlyJewel's Avatar Loving Wife and Mom
I can't drive because I am deathly afraid of driving (was in a lot of car accidents as a child) and with the meds I take I can sometimes pass out without realizing. Also I can't pay attention long enough in a car to drive one either because of my ADHD or my depression (I will randomly start crying).

I learned to take buses as a child. (age 10) I am a pro at taking the bus and thankfully I have a bus stop across the street from my place so its super close. And my sister and brother-in-law help drive me places and take me grocery shopping as well.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for making my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search