A Normal "Period" Period?

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2010, 01:52 AM
Silvia's Avatar Veteran
When dining out with my girl friends, we talked about the normal "period" period.

Mine usually lasts for 7 days, well, sometimes 10 days. However, some of us have it for 3-5 days, and one of us has it for 2 weeks!

I am wondering if that is normal for someone have her period lasts for weeks?

Also, what is the normal period of it?

Last edited by Silvia; April 1st, 2010 at 01:58 AM.
April 30th, 2010, 10:37 AM
A.June
Well my personal opinion is that 2 weeks is not really a normal period. I am actually having some issues with that same problem. It depends how old this person is, and have they always had periods of that duration. I am 34 I was always like clock work. My periods lasted about 5 to 7 days. After my second child now 3 I went on BC pills. Everything was fine for about 2 years. Then aall of a sudden without missing a pill I would begin my period anywhere from 14 to 10 days before I was suppose to. I took myself off the pills and let my body take over. It was still occurring only lighter, about ovulation time I would have spotting and such, it would clear up then I would have a period. After nine months of that I went to the Drs. and back on the pill. Strange my period between periods was heavier. Well after all that she ran blood work, check my thyriod and other things, all fine. Then I had a US to check for growths and fybriods. Unfortunatley as happy as I am everything is ok, there is still no reason for my crazy cycle. I advise your friend just to get checked as well. Like I said I don't know her age. Where I am still young at 34 I think I am going perimenopausal. My mother started as well at 35, I have many other symptoms of this as well. Ance that I never had, terrible mood swings, extreme fatigue, irratability, forgetfulness, I don't sleep well and I can never concentrate anymore. My next appointment I am going to have her check my hormones. I cannot bare the way I feel anymore. So talk with your friend and ask her some questions like has she had thyriod checked, checked for fybriods or endo.
May 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I think average is 5-7 days. I agree that 2 weeks sounds like a bit much. But it depends on what she is calling the start of her period. I spot for a couple days before my actual period starts. Then only have 3-4 days of a period. Then spot for another day. So she may be spotting and even though not as heavy still annoying. I vote for getting checked out. I had wacky periods after my first m/c and turned out I had a polyp on my uterus. So it was a good thing I got checked. Sometimes there is no reason. Sometimes there is.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
3-7 days is considered normal, and 2 weeks is too long. If it's just a one time thing, no need to worry. But if your friend has no contributing factors (such as an IUD or on a hormonal contraceptive), she should see her doctor if this is happening consistently.
May 7th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Silvia's Avatar Veteran
Thanks so much girls!

I asked her, and she told me she has been taken a kind of hormone for a year, and maybe that is the cause of her abnormal period.

Oh, fyi, I also posted an article talking about intermenstrual bleeding, which is kinda useful.
September 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A few years ago, I would've said that it's not normal. But now I think it really depends on what you consider an actual period. Are we talking massive bleeding that lasts a full two weeks? That would not be normal IMO.

But my period has been getting longer and more annoying the older I get. Take my last one for instance: Brown spotting that's usually only on the toilet paper began on Sept. 1st (CD 28). Continued (getting slightly heavier) until Sept. 6th. When I finally started what I consider my normal period. Heavy for a few days. Then tapering off again with the spotting that lasted until yesterday. That's 12 days!

I'm getting more spotting at the beginning and end than I used to. If that's what's happening when someone says they're having two week long periods, then I don't think that's necessarily abnormal. It could be hormone fluctuations, age, etc.
September 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pre and post menstrual brown spotting is actually a sign of a hormonal imbalance. It's not normal, even though it is fairly common.
September 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A quick Google search indicates I have symptoms of fibroids. I guess I should get that checked out.
November 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Silvia's Avatar Veteran
Hi gctattoo, did you check it out? Maybe it is not as that serious as what "google" tells you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search