Pregnant with a disability?

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was wondering if there were any lurkers dealing with a disability or chronic health condition while pregnant and how your medical team were helping you?

When I had my eldest my existing conditions were totally ignored which led to a horrible birth experience so I went to a different hospital with my youngest, who had me under a consultant and looked after me throughout my pregnancy. No prizes for guessing which of the two hospitals I have gone to again this time around!

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

July 7th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I'm not pg now. But I did suffer through 2 pgs with my DDD and Fibro if that counts at all
July 7th, 2010, 11:50 AM
That counts - it really complicates an already stressful and trying time. Did you get much support for your conditions during pregnancy?

Co-Host of

July 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had very little support outside my doctors. But the doctors were great. With Calypso I spent 6 weeks in a hospital bed. And when the pain started getting so bad I could scream. I got medication I needed. The doctors were great
July 7th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm really glad your doctors were supportive. I've found some doctors still believe things like CFS and FMS are 'all in the head'

When I had Angelica my muscles gave up working and the midwife told me 'ALL women get tired when they're in labour and THEY all manage to push!' I am still fuming about that, over three years later. I can't believe how many medical professionals are still living in the dark ages.

Co-Host of

July 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty_X View Post
I'm really glad your doctors were supportive. I've found some doctors still believe things like CFS and FMS are 'all in the head'

When I had Angelica my muscles gave up working and the midwife told me 'ALL women get tired when they're in labour and THEY all manage to push!' I am still fuming about that, over three years later. I can't believe how many medical professionals are still living in the dark ages.
That's horrible!! You should have kicked her in the face *nod*

When I was pushing my docs were great and one of the nurses for my last labor held my back so I wouldn't damage anything when I was pushing
July 8th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I wish I'd had your doctors! In seriousness, I was too upset do do or say anything at the time but I have regretted that ever since. I'm really glad your medical team took your conditions on board.

Co-Host of

July 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
I am due in November and already the baby belly & PG is making things tough. I have fibromyalgia, DDD, spondylosis, a herniated disc. My depresssion, anxiety & PTSD *were* finally easing, was starting to mentally feel human trying to connect with adults again. Was giving things another go with my daughter's father, after healing from an abusive relationship. This PG is very unplanned. Truth is I took my night time meds that knock me out & I woke up with him in act. Needless to say, I am very, very low mentally now, maybe the worst I've ever been. My medical team is NO help at all. The ortho doc & my neurologist discharged me until I have the baby, the pain management & physical therapy is on hold now too. My regular doctor kept me on the books but won't see me, he sends me to the OB for everything, who took me off all my meds except the muscle relaxant and Tylenol 3 for pain scale 8 and over days. My pain WAS fairly controlled between Lyrica, Cymbalta & amitriptyline & another one I can't remember at night but now....Ugh. I am relying on chiropractic, tylenol and the RX meds when I just can't take anymore pain. I KNOW we can't take certain meds while pregnant, that we have to protect and care for our children even while in utero, but what I DON'T know is why these doctors act like chronic, debilitating, crushing conditions just POOF disappear because you are pregnant. If this was stuff I could just suck up, I wouldn't HAVE a freakin medical team and at home pharmacy in the first place!

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

September 16th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I have Cerebral Palsy plus other medical conditions (controlled seizures and Border line Personality disorder) that involve medications. I was PG with my #1 child and had plenty support by drs and I am PG again with #2 and so far my drs are working with me as well. (different drs)
September 19th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Dori! I'd hoped you would stop in! Congratulations again!!! I'm so glad for you!!
November 20th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Veteran
This is my first pregnancy and I've found my medical team to be great! I see my endo, my regular OB, and my high risk OB on a regular rotating basis and they're all great at communicating with each other about whats going on with me and what they need to be aware of. Because honestly if I tell my endo something one week, chances are I'll forget to tell my high risk OB the next week, so it's nice they keep each other in the loop. And so far no one has tried to pull rank, which is great, sometimes doctors seem to need to have a pi.ssing contest to show how important they are.

And yes I did say this is my first pregnancy and I do already have three kids . The first two are adopted and my wife carried our third child. We like to keep people on their toes! It's fun because I'm starting to show and I'll tell people "Yeah, it's my first!" while I've got three kids pulling on me going "Mama, Mama!", it's fun to confuse people .
Gerard 3 12/08 and baby Daria 05/11
And expecting baby number 5 this fall!

May 24th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Hi, umm I am not pg yet but planning on it. I have cmt which effects the muscles and central nervous system. I also have cfs and am not on any meds for it because I was told they don't know what causes it. I want to have kids but right now things are all messed up in my life. My husband and I were going to start trying and I have stopped my bc pills but then we had to move in with my mom and little sis to help them with their bills. Now my husband wants to get a different job which will keep him away from home more, he was at home with me everyday. We wanted to homeschool and be very close as a family and for us both to be there for the kids. I told him I would need lots of help because of my disabilities and he was very happy to do it. He has ocd, black outs where he still functions good but doesn't remember it, impulse disorder, bipolar and anxiety attacks around crowds. He also has one eye from an accident. We had it all planed out to help each other with parenting just like we do in all other things, but now he just has to get a job...I am very smart and so is he but I am not good a math and he is great at it. We have both done to college and we both did very well. I don't drive because it scares me, he drives us where we need to go. I don't know how I am going to do this whole pregnancy thing and parenting if he is not around like I thought he was going to be? I realy want a baby, he does too but he just feels driven to have a better income. I told him I just want him around but he says he will be even if he is gone at work sometimes. I am sorry, I am rambling. I just don't have any friends to talk to about this. What should I do to make having a baby work for us?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search