got a question that might be a bit stupid ... sorry

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
but can anyone tell me whether or not being bipolar one can be considered for disability?

reason I'm asking is that yes while I am on meds and I do go to my psychiatrist often, the disorder is affecting EVERYTHING be it familylife and even work ....

I need help and I don't know which way to turn .... I don't know if a mental illness can be considered for disability or not ....

my group insurance agent btw is an idiot ... he gave me a hard time with the depression by drilling me four years ago telling me that "there MUST be a reason why I'm depressed" and he only shut up when I told him a few choice words

please advise. I'm sorry if its a real stupid question.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
May 15th, 2006, 10:44 PM
AishasHeart's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to AishasHeart
Lisa,

I was on disability for a year when I was going through my divorce and dealing with my son. It effected my work tremendously -- I told them I was let go because of domestic problems and the doctor validated the depression, panic, anxiety, ptsd.

I don't see why you wouldn't qualify. Here you have to see docs regularly during that time and you need to see your therapist, but I think its worth a try. It helped me a lot.

Good luck hon

((((((((((((((((((((lisa))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Aisha

P.S. No question is a stupid question!!!!!!!!!! (It's a Mommy response )
May 16th, 2006, 10:03 PM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
Lisa,
Number one NO question is stupid! And two, having "something" that can prevent you from living a functional life daily is considered a "disability".

There are loop holes, of course, you will need proof that you have a Physical disability or a Mental illness than can prevent you from working or getting employed. By doing so, you will need a doctor's statement saying what "condition" you have and if this is a temporary or a permanent "disability" and if he/she believes you can or can not hold a job down etc... But you should have nothing to worry about if your doctor and you have a good relationship and knows that you are not trying to cheat the "system" KWIM? It might be rough and long to get "Disability" but girl, I think you should go for it as it is clear, your Mental Illness can affect your daily living.

-Dori
May 17th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
Quote:
Lisa,
Number one NO question is stupid! And two, having "something" that can prevent you from living a functional life daily is considered a "disability".

There are loop holes, of course, you will need proof that you have a Physical disability or a Mental illness than can prevent you from working or getting employed. By doing so, you will need a doctor's statement saying what "condition" you have and if this is a temporary or a permanent "disability" and if he/she believes you can or can not hold a job down etc... But you should have nothing to worry about if your doctor and you have a good relationship and knows that you are not trying to cheat the "system" KWIM? It might be rough and long to get "Disability" but girl, I think you should go for it as it is clear, your Mental Illness can affect your daily living.

-Dori[/b]
well I have some good news everyone ... in the meantime I do NOT have to try and apply for disability because the company I am at is putting me back at work 1/2 days at their other lil spinoff company where I was at last year when things were rough for me ....

So I would have half my salary but considering I am a highly paid worker atm ... it would still be quite a good salary and I'd get the 2nd half of the day to rest, take care of the kids after school and also do lil projects that I can also sell to make more money.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
May 17th, 2006, 01:03 PM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
that is good Lisa! Hope it all works out for you but at least you know you can try Disability if all else fails... to you!

-Dori
July 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
mom2be12007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im not sure if you'll check this again, but I wanted tot ell youI am bipolar and I applied for disability...They denied me , saying I was "too young" im 20, but your never to young to have a problem...so I appeal. And ILL keep appealing until I get approved or understood at least!!! But good luck to you in anythingyou do..YOu have any questions about Bipolar Disorder, feel free to ask, I have my own personal library and am studying the disorder very very hard....
melissa

July 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM
mamma2petunia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to mamma2petunia Send a message via AIM to mamma2petunia Send a message via Yahoo to mamma2petunia

I am so sorry to hear about the bipolar issues!! I am only 36 and have end stage arthritis . . . I have been on disability since I was 21 . . . so, don't let anyone tell you that you are TOO YOUNG to be on disability!!! I am receiving SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY!!! I think you should file for Social Security disability . . . but with the assistance of a LAWYER that handles these types of cases . . . most of them don't ask for money up front . . . they take 1/3 of your award at the end of your case, and ONLY if you WIN!!! It's definitely worth the time and the effort! Bipolar isn't going to just go away, so you need to take care of yourself and plan for your future and that of your family!!

Let me know if you need any advice . . . you can PM me or email me directly!! I am on the kids with ADHD board most of the time . . .

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">Thanks Jolene for my beautiful siggie!!</div></span>
July 20th, 2006, 12:01 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Oh, I can answer this one. Yes, yes, yes, bipolar is definitely something that can be a disability. I have known plenty of people on disability for bipolar disorder. And I have known people as young as 18 on disability for bipolar. Sometimes it is difficult to get on disability, but you can get on it. They have to prove that it is affecting your ability to hold down a job.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search