New Here and Possibly Looking Into a Hysterectomy

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2010, 09:44 PM
ProudMomof2Boys416's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ProudMomof2Boys416 Send a message via Yahoo to ProudMomof2Boys416
Hi There! . I am new to this board but feel like it is the right place to ask my question and share my story. My name is Lindsay and I just turned 28 in June. I am happily married to my DH, Tim and we have 2 boys together, Aiden who is going to be 4 in January and Caleb who will be 2 in February . You can probably see by my thread title that I am possibly looking into a hysterectomy and need some advice. If anybody here can share some with me, it would be greatly appreciated!. This may be a little long, so thank you in advance if you make it through!

A good number of years ago, when I was 16, I had been suffering from debilitating menstrual cramps....enough to actually take me to the ER a couple times. The problem is, my period had not started and was not starting at that time even with the cramps. Finally, my mom made an appointment for me at an OBGYN office. I met with the doctor but I honestly don't remember what came out of it. I do know that a few months later, when I was 17, my period finally started. It didn't seem normal when it started but I was also no doctor. This may be alot of TMI so read with caution!. When I noticed it had started, the first thought that came into my mind was it looked like blueberries from a blueberry cobbler. It was a blueish/purplish color, with little round clots in it. And there was alot!. At the age I was at, I figured it was my period, so I cleaned up a bit and told my parents that my period had started. As the days passed, it started to get redder and redder and became VERY heavy. Again, I was new to this so I thought it was completely normal!. The blueberry type look had only happened that one time and was gone but they were still EXTREMELLY heavy. A few years down the road, I came to realize what I was experiencing COULDN'T be normal and went to my GYN numerous times just to be told, it was completely normal. I am once again, no doctor, so I believed them. I tried to get on with my periods being the way they were but it was not easy. I was changing pads every 20-30 minutes easily, soaking through to my pants and bleeding onto chairs, not being able to leave the house or if I HAD to leave the house, I had to map out where the bathrooms were AND bring a change of underwear and pants. I remember being in high school and bleeding onto the chairs SO many times. To this day, I remember noticing I bled onto the chairs and having to slide a piece of paper or a book onto my chair in order to get off the chair so nobody else would see what had happened. I was always so embarresed . There was nothing I could do though. I had been to doctors and was told it was normal.

When I was 18, I met my now husband and in 2007 and 2009 welcomed two beautiful baby boys into the world!. After the birth of my second son, I first tried the Mirena IUD, but I did nothing but bleed heavily for 2 months straight until I finally had it removed. Then I went on the combined birth control to regulate my periods and everything was great. The problem came just recently in April and August of this year when I experienced something very wierd. I had symptoms very similar to a stroke. After the episode in April, I went to the ER and was referred to a neurologist, had 2 CAT scans done (one with dye and one without) and an MRI done. From my test results and a physical exam, she concluded that I was suffering from something called Migraine with Aura. She told me that I was at a higher risk of stroke with not only the aura but with also being on birth control pills and was very uneasy about letting me stay on the pills, but we talked about it and she was willing to give me one more chance. She told me that if I had one more episode, I was done with the pills. Everything was going great for the next few months, but in the beginning of August, I had another episode and was pulled off of birth control for my safety. She wasn't 100% sure that the birth control was doing it but because the aura has me at a risk of stroke, and birth control pills have a risk of stroke, my risk was now doubled, and it was too high of a risk for her to let me stay on them (which I completely understood and agreed with). As soon as I got my first period off the pill, the horrible periods returned. The debilitating cramps and the very heavy bleeding. I actually cried during my first period off the pill because I knew they were back.

On September 12th, 2010, 2 days into my first period off the pill, I had had enough!. I woke up at 9:30am, to find that my underwear was soaked with blood, even though I had gotten up already during the middle of the night to change my pad and my underwear once already. After cleaning up the floor and the toilet seat (because there was blood all over those as well), I went out into the other room, told my DH that I was done and I was going to the ER to get this figured out. I got to the hospital parking garage, got out of the car, and "waterfalled" the whole way to ER, even after having to wait for an elevator. I finally got into the ER and sat down to sign the paperwork to be seen. The guy at the desk told me that a nurse would be out shortly to take me to triage to take my vitals and information. I get up from the chair, look down, and there is blood all over the chair. What happened to me in highschool, was happening to me all over again. I go into the bathroom to pad and a few minutes later was called into triage. The nurse tells me that they do have one room open, but it is with a male nurse. I told her that I didn't care if the nurse was male or female, I just wanted and needed to be seen as soon as possible!. I get taken back to the room and wait for a while until the nurse and doctor finally come in. They ask for a urine sample, hook me up to an IV and take some blood work. The doctor tells me that if my blood work is low, they are possibly going to be looking into doing a D&C. So they take my blood work back and I go into the bathroom to give a urine sample. When I was done, the bathroom was a mess. There was literally blood everywhere!. The urine sample cup I gave them, was BRIGHT red. It honestly looked like there was only blood in the cup and no urine. Finally after a couple hours, my blood work came back and my blood count was within normal range. She said because of it being normal, they didn't need to do the D&C, but I was to visit my GYN the next day at 8:00am to discuss what had gone on.

Monday, the next morning, I meet with a doctor (not my actual doctor) regarding what had happened the previous day. She told me that she wanted to do an ultrasound and a thyroid test. I got the blood work done on Wednesday and the ultrasound done on Thursday of that same week. Thursday night, around 5:30pm, I get a call from a nurse at the office. She tells me that my thyroid test came back normal and a doctor looked over the ultrasound which was normal as well. I was relieved to hear that, and asked what we were going to do next. She paused for a couple seconds and then said "nothing". I was blown away. I told her that what I was experiencing couldn't be normal!. She told me that the tests were all normal and I might just be a heavy bleeder. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I could barely even speak. I think she realized I was upset because she told me that if I wanted to, I could call the next day (Friday) to set up an appointment with a doctor to discuss a possible hysterectomy. I couldn't believe it!. I was blown away again. I decided to wait it out and think about it with my DH.

The next week, on Tuesday, another nurse calls me around 10:00 and tells me that my thyroid test and ultrasound were both normal but that my doctor (my actual doctor and the one that delievered my second son), looked over everything and said that she didn't feel that my case was an emergency, but what I was experiencing was definatly not normal and wanted to see me to go over my options. I was immediatly relieved!. We made the appointment for October 21st. I told the nurse that the nurse that called me the previous week mentioned I may be looking into a hysterectomy and she said "that's a good possibility and may be what the Dr. wants to discuss with you".

I've thought about my options on my own while waiting for my appointment date. I can't be on the combined pill because of my migraines, the IUD makes me bleed just as heavy but for months instead of a week and I'm not too fond of the Depo shot or the Implanon. I haven't heard too many good things about them and not only that, but I am sick of only masking my menstrual problems. I've thought about an ablation but I am definatly not doing that. I've heard they don't work for everybody, you still have to go through a few periods until it does work, and it takes your chances of having anymore children away just like a hysterctomy would. I do know everybody is different but my personal decision would be to have a hysterectomy over an ablation.

So a question I have is, do you think it would be a problem for me to request a hysterectomy when I meet with my doctor on the 21st?.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Aiden John
January 4, 2007
12:05pm
8lbs 11oz 21.25 Inches
Caleb Michael
February 16, 2009
10:31am
9lbs 5oz 21 Inches

Last edited by ProudMomof2Boys416; October 5th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
October 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
mommy4micandella's Avatar Proud wife and momma!!
Send a message via AIM to mommy4micandella Send a message via Yahoo to mommy4micandella
i had the same thing, not as serious as yours but heavy bleeding/
I would ask then if an ablation might help before a hyst, i did both. If you have ?? please PM me or email me mommy4micandella@aol.com and i will try to help you the best i can.
Hystersisters is a great website and gives you lots of info & options

June 20th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you end up going through with the hysterectomy? What were the results?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search