Periods and luteal phase and tubal ligation??? TMI!

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Let me warn you first of all, there is definitely too much information in here, I apologize in advance but if that bothers you, now's a good time to stop reading.

My 7th baby is 9.5 months old. I had a tubal ligation when she was 6 weeks and 3 days old. I've had my periods back since she was about 8 or 9 weeks old, and have had approximately 7-9 of them, however that works out. lol (but at least 7, I'm sure). Not for fertility reasons, obviously, but i've been charting (natural family planning, taking my temperature, etc, for those who don't know) because I like to see what my body's doing and know when to expect AF.

Well, my luteal phase is STILL 9 days or less. This just simply doesn't happen to me. In fact, i started charting 6 weeks after the birth of my 6th child, and it only took two cycles of a short LP, and on the third cycle I was pregnant (when he was barely 5 months old) with my 9.5 month old daughter, and you cannot sustain a pregnancy with a LP shorter than 10 days (and 10 days is pushing it!) so I knew things were "back to normal" by then.

Also (here's the TMI part), my second last period, it was like I was HEMMORAGING! On day 3 i had just put in a tampon about an hour before but suddenly felt like I was "flowing" from down there, almost like peeing myself and I was like WTH??? so i went to the bathroom. My underwear, pants, everything was covered with blood and when I removed the tampon, i literally, no kidding, poured blood like a faucet. I've never bled like that in my life! There were 2 incidences of that "faucet" that day, and then the next day it was like nothing ever happened, almost zero bleeding. Also, I've noticed i really only bleed for about 2 days, then day 3 and four is very very light (barring that one period) and then I get spotting for several days afterward... so in essence I'm having a "period" for 1+ weeks. This is also new to me. Usually it's 5 days and DONE. No spotting, ever. This extra spotting has only been the last 3 or 4 cycles, though...

Sorry for rambling. I'm just trying to give as much info as I can because I'm confused and hoping someone may have experienced the same thing, or knows what can cause this..??? I do have an apt with my GP for january where I will be bringing this up, but in the meantime, insight is appreciated! Thanks.

Lisa
January 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
You might want to ask your Dr about Novasure. It's supposed to help with heavy flows like that, I'm pretty much the same way, EVERY AF.

January 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
My post tubal-ligation AF is VERY much the same!!!!!! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. My period used to be 5 days - day 1 was light-ish, 2 was heavy, 3 was medium & then 4 & 5 were light or spotting...... NOW.... Day 1 & 2 are REALLY heavy & then day 3 is medium - and that's it.. it's over

January 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If this is all a new post partum experience for you, you may be experiencing symptoms of Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome. Heavy bleeding, irregular bleeding, luteal phase deficiency - all symptoms of PTLS. It's because it's difficult to ligate the fallopian tubes without also damaging the blood flow to the ovaries. Without adequate blood flow, the ovaries can't perform their important hormonal work. The disruption to the hormones can cause all kinds of cycle problems. A few Moms around JM have experienced it too.

Some women never get PTLS, some only start to experience it a few years after the procedure, others experience it right away.
January 17th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A tubal ligation can cause all sorts of changes to your period. I had a tubal in May with Novasure endometrial ablation.

For me it didn't work. The Novasure made my bleeding even worse but I had a hysterectomy in September and my doc found that I had adenomyosis. The only cure for that is hysterectomy.

Talk to your doc about the Novasure it may help you if you don't have any underlying problems.

January 17th, 2011, 08:31 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tubal reversal also helps restore blood flow to the ovaries and improve or eliminate the symptoms without requiring replacement hormone therapy for many years.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search