Can I join over here?

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
I do not have a disability, but my SO does. So IDK if it would be ok for me to hang out over here sometimes. The closest thing I have is ADHD, but well, I really do not consider that a disability (sorry if I just offended someone who does).

SO has moderate Cerebral Palsy. He had several surgeries when he was younger to help him out. He is able to walk without any assistance. He shuffles when he walks and is not able to lift his legs up much higher than a stair. He has a good arm and a bad arm. His good arm is fully functional with the exception of some extremely fine motor skill problems with his fingers. His bad arm actually has more strength for lifting and pulling than his good arm. The hand on his right (bad) arm is bent in towards the wrist. It cannot pick things up on its own, but if you hand it something it can hold it. The Dr. offered surgery on it, but said it would only be cosmetic. It would not give that hand any more function and he might actually loose some in it. But like I said, the arm is stronger than the other arm.

The 3 minions we have now are biologically mine and from a previous relationship (their bio father was hearing impaired. severe in one ear and detrimental hearing loss in another). It runs in the family on his side and I believe the cause was diagnosed as a syndrome starting with a W. All 3 will be carriers).

It is amazing how both SO and the minions adapted to the whole thing. They all know if they want daddy to pick them up, they need to back up to him so that he can lift them. So you are standing there and suddenly a child says "up" and backs up to him. lol They also will come up to him, sit on the floor and stick their legs up in the air so he can get their shoes off (this position is easiest for him). I know with a new baby we will both will be learning quite a bit more about how we can do things differently and things he cannot do vs things that are just done differently. I think it will be quite a learning experience for both of us.

SO is pretty amazing though. He had a lot of problems finding work (before we met) despite graduation at the top of his class and having a double BA. He also had good work references from the part time work doing books that he did find. People look at him and see the disability and not the potential of what he can do. And even with it all, SO also races on a dirt track. Yep. He's awesome.

Anyway, that is my man.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
July 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Your husband sounds wonderful! Boy that is amazing of what he can do and I can totally understand how some people can only see or hear what a person disabilities then they think if they have those issues they are treated less for who you are and that is sad ! That is why I don't really like to work but it may turn out that I will have to work a bit because of loss of section 8 assistance .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search