help! thrush!

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2012, 12:11 PM
My little girl is 5 weeks old and has had thrush for the past 2-3. We got Nystatin (think that's what it's called) for it, and her pediatrician suggested I rub it on my nipples (I'm breastfeeding) so I have been. Well, it's not working for either of us. After I started giving it to her 4 times a day, she started spitting up after literally every feeding, and she hardly ever spit up before it. I dont know if it was the meds or not but I have a weird feeling it was. Anyway, I stopped giving it to her because it's nothing but a huge sticky mess on my breasts, and half of it comes back out when I try to give it to her. Now whenever she nurses, it's an awful toe curling, tear jerking pain for me. Out of desperation I had gentian violet rush delivered last week, having read it's worked wonders. Now that I have it, I'm a little scared to try it after reading it's not supposed to be swallowed (but hello, thrush of the mouth in a 5 week old, how am I going to prevent her from swallowing any?), and my husband is hesitant to let me try it. Right now we're in the middle of another headache trying to get her pediatrician changed because our insurance cant update the roster of doctors that accept our insurance, and the pediatrician she had before wont take us anymore because she has a new one that we cant get ahold of (it's a confusing story). What are some things I can do to get rid of it until we get her doc situation figured out? It hurts so much to nurse and I cant imagine what my poor little girl might be feeling
July 9th, 2012, 04:18 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does your insurance have a nurse line you can call? Mine does and for free we can call the nurse line and get general advice on medical issues. My children have not had thrush, so I can't really help, but perhaps go to an urgent care to see what they suggest?

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search