Cycle question

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So here's my problem: my menstrual cycle is REALLY irregular. I mean, like I get a period maybe ever 50-65 days. I have had blood tests for PCOS, thyroid problems, and pituitary problems, all which have come up normal. I've been told that stress could possibly account for this irregularity, but I have never been regular when off the Pill, and I am not under that much stress (my life cannot get LESS stressful). I went off the Pill in January, so I would have thought my cycle should have become more regular by now.

Does anyone have any clue what might be wrong with me? The doc says not to worry, but I'm TTC and it's hard not to worry when I have fewer than half of the normal periods I should be having.

Thanks!

August 2012 December 2012
September 25th, 2006, 07:45 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
So here's my problem: my menstrual cycle is REALLY irregular. I mean, like I get a period maybe ever 50-65 days. I have had blood tests for PCOS, thyroid problems, and pituitary problems, all which have come up normal. I've been told that stress could possibly account for this irregularity, but I have never been regular when off the Pill, and I am not under that much stress (my life cannot get LESS stressful). I went off the Pill in January, so I would have thought my cycle should have become more regular by now.

Does anyone have any clue what might be wrong with me? The doc says not to worry, but I'm TTC and it's hard not to worry when I have fewer than half of the normal periods I should be having.

Thanks![/b]

I would wonder about how thorough the blood tests were - like did they test ALL your thyroid hormones, and not just two of them? Did you have an insulin resistance test (different than a glucose test)? You may want to get a second opinion. And how long have you been off the Pill? It can take up to 18 months to recover from that, especially if you had problems with your cycles before.

Have you checked out the Creighton Model of Fertility Care? They specialize in treating reproductive problems by getting down to the nitty gritty of what's wrong, instead of trying to "over-ride" the problem with drugs. I just recently started working with a Creighton physician to deal with my PCOS (we're going to investigate further after this pregnancy). I've heard a lot of great things about them! www.fertilitycare.org
September 25th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From what I know, I think they tested only my TSH, which was within normal limits, so my doc determined I was not hypothyroid. They also tested my testosterone level, which was actually a little LOW (the oppositve of PCOS). Prolactin levels were normal. I'm not sure what else they should have tested... is there anything they missed?

Before I went on the Pill, my cycles were irregular, but were like 35-50 days (not 50-65). I was on the pill for about 5 years, and went off the pill 8 months ago. Could these lengthy cycles still be related to being on the pill?

I will definitely check out your advice about the Creighton physicians. THanks.

August 2012 December 2012
September 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
From what I know, I think they tested only my TSH, which was within normal limits, so my doc determined I was not hypothyroid. They also tested my testosterone level, which was actually a little LOW (the oppositve of PCOS). Prolactin levels were normal. I'm not sure what else they should have tested... is there anything they missed?

Before I went on the Pill, my cycles were irregular, but were like 35-50 days (not 50-65). I was on the pill for about 5 years, and went off the pill 8 months ago. Could these lengthy cycles still be related to being on the pill?

I will definitely check out your advice about the Creighton physicians. THanks.[/b]

Yes, your body could still be recovering from the Pill. Normal recovery time is anywhere between 3-18 months, and since you had cycle problems before - your body probably has to work that much harder to try to regulate itself.

As for thyroid, yes - one hormone test isn't an accurate reflection of what's going on. Many physicians will do that (test one or two, instead of all of them). The thing is, your TSH could be normal, but if your T3 and T4 levels are way out of whack - it could be the root of your problem. Getting referred to an Endocrinologist may help you get the proper hormone evaluation.

For PCOS, in addition to the testosterone - you really need an insulin resistance test. Insulin resistance is often at the heart of PCOS, even if testosterone and prolactin levels are normal. Your LH levels are often higher than they are supposed to be as well, so that should be looked at. Progesterone levels should also be tested around 7 days after ovulation. Many doctors try to do this by ordering the Day 21 test (assuming you ovulate on day 14 like the textbook says). Well, those of us with longer cycles certainly are not ovulating by day 14! So, you would chart and have the blood drawn 7 days after ovulation is confirmed - whether that was on day 14, or 34, or 84!

Again, a Creighton doctor will know how to get to the bottom of all that. Instead of checking a hormone here and a hormone there, they like to do what's called a complete hormone profile. They test EVERYTHING, because they want to see how it's all working together. They also base all bloodwork on your fertility chart - not on assumptions out of the textbook. They look at YOUR cycle and go from there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search