How?

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2006, 01:04 AM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to GirLStaR
How did you start suspecting you had cancer? I ask this bc my mom is almost done with her cancer treatment, but my cousin (she's like my sister and only 24 years old) had cancer when she was 13 and finished her treatment at 15, and now it came back and it's not looking good. Anyway, I am driving myself crazy. Everything I see that doesn't look, feel, or sound normal in my body makes me wonder if it could be cancer. I feel like I need to stop but I'm just so scared of going through what they have been through.. So I was just wondering what are signs of cancer. Maybe if I know them I'll stop worrying. Last do you think its normal to feel the way I feel?
October 9th, 2006, 09:54 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really depends on the type of cancer. My only suggestion is that you get a full check-up. That will at least ease your mind a little. It is hard but remember you still have to live your life. My mil told me something very important after I got diagnosed (she survived colon cancer) - I was no sicker they day they told me than the day before and that I still had to live my life.

Hope you get the answers you need.
October 10th, 2006, 08:50 PM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here are some General signs:

Unexplained weight loss: Most people with cancer will lose weight at some time with their disease. An unexplained (unintentional) weight loss of 10 pounds or more may be the first sign of cancer, particularly cancers of the pancreas, stomach, esophagus, or lung.

Fever: Fever is very common with cancer, but is more often seen in advanced disease. Almost all patients with cancer will have fever at some time, particularly if the cancer or its treatment affects the immune system and reduces resistance to infection. Less often, fever may be an early sign of cancer, such as with leukemia or lymphoma.

Fatigue: Fatigue may be a significant symptom as cancer progresses. It may occur early, however, in cancers such as with leukemia or if the cancer is causing a chronic loss of blood, as in some colon or stomach cancers.

Pain: Pain may be an early symptom with some cancers, such as bone cancers or testicular cancer. Most often, however, pain is a symptom of advanced disease.

Skin changes: In addition to cancers of the skin (see next section), some internal cancers can produce visible skin signs such as darkening (hyperpigmentation), yellowing (jaundice), reddening (erythema), itching, or excessive hair growth.

Change in bowel habits or bladder function: Chronic constipation, diarrhea, or a change in the size of the stool may indicate colon cancer. Pain with urination, blood in the urine, or a change in bladder function (such as more frequent or less frequent urination) could be related to bladder or prostate cancer. Any changes in bladder or bowel function should be reported to your doctor.

Sores that do not heal: Skin cancers may bleed and resemble sores that do not heal. A persistent sore in the mouth could be an oral cancer and should be dealt with promptly, especially in patients who smoke, chew tobacco, or frequently drink alcohol. Sores on the penis or vagina may either be signs of infection or an early cancer, and should not be overlooked in either case.

Unusual bleeding or discharge: Unusual bleeding can occur in either early or advanced cancer. Blood in the sputum (phlegm) may be a sign of lung cancer. Blood in the stool (or a dark or black stool) could be a sign of colon or rectal cancer. Cancer of the cervix or the endometrium (lining of the uterus) can cause vaginal bleeding. Blood in the urine is a sign of possible bladder or kidney cancer. A bloody discharge from the nipple may be a sign of breast cancer.

Thickening or lump in breast or other parts of the body: Many cancers can be felt through the skin, particularly in the breast, testicle, lymph nodes (glands), and the soft tissues of the body. A lump or thickening may be an early or late sign of cancer. Any lump or thickening should be reported to your doctor, especially if you’ve just discovered it or noticed it has grown in size. You may be feeling a lump that is an early cancer that could be treated successfully.

Indigestion or trouble swallowing: While they commonly have other causes, these symptoms may indicate cancer of the esophagus, stomach, or pharynx (throat).

Recent change in a wart or mole: Any change in color or shape, loss of definite borders, or an increase in size should be reported to your doctor without delay. The skin lesion may be a melanoma which, if diagnosed early, can be treated successfully.

Nagging cough or hoarseness: A cough that does not go away may be a sign of lung cancer. Hoarseness can be a sign of cancer of the larynx (voice box) or thyroid.
October 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM
~.Sally.~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ladybelle that is a good piece on things to look for.

If you have a full check up hopefully that will put your mind at ease a little, however it does depend on the type of cancer. I live for today as you never know what tomorrow will bring.
October 12th, 2006, 11:28 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I was diagnosed through a pap that came back positive for HPV then had another procedure done to confirm it. I had no physical signs tho.
All I have to say is go to your yearly check ups!!!!!

October 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to GirLStaR
Thank you girls. I made an appt and I will be seeing the dr on Oct 25. The only thing that I am a little concerned about is that I have many tiny red dots on my skin, they are extremely small and hard to notice, but I want to get it checked out. I've had them for years but I think I keep getting more, and I was searching and found that it could be a sign of leukemia, but I doubt it would be bc I've had them for years.. We'll see, I think after I go to the dr and get a full check up and find out what the red dots are I'll feel better.
October 13th, 2006, 05:31 PM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thank you girls. I made an appt and I will be seeing the dr on Oct 25. The only thing that I am a little concerned about is that I have many tiny red dots on my skin, they are extremely small and hard to notice, but I want to get it checked out. I've had them for years but I think I keep getting more, and I was searching and found that it could be a sign of leukemia, but I doubt it would be bc I've had them for years.. We'll see, I think after I go to the dr and get a full check up and find out what the red dots are I'll feel better.[/b]
I am glad you are going to the dr hopefully it will put your mind at ease
October 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
I'm glad you decided to get it checked out. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search