HAving a hysterectomy

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey everyone! I'm a JM regular in the May2006PR and the FTT board. I just found out TODAY that I'm having a hysterectomy WEDNESDAY (next week)!!! It was sort of expected, but I was expecting...I don't know...a delay? HEre's my story:

I'm cystic. I don't have PCOS (Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome)...I just get very large non-functioning cysts that cause me pain and degradation...well, not degradation...but PAIN. So, I get this trait from my mom. I get all female-parts related traits from my mom...she also started menopause at 33...I'm 30.

Back in '97 I started getting very very bad pains. Thinking appendicitis, I went to the hospital. Through u/s they tell me I have a cyst. No size indicators, no nothing...a simple "It will burst and cause pain, here's pain pills have a nice day."

GREAT.

4 months later I'm pregnant and getting my first u/s. Doc says, "Oh my...what's this." Why, it was that pesky little cyst again, although he said it was two very big ones...nearly 7" in diameter. He expected them to go down with pregnancy and birth, but we'd moniter. After baby was born, it was promptly forgotten.

1 year after baby is born I'm in muchly pain. Doubled over type pain. Sharp twinges, and hey...I still feel preggo. Why is that? Finally get my tush to a doctor, he sends me for an u/s...and the u/s is so bad the tech says, "I'm faxing this right over. One month later I'm in surgery suite being shown pictures of this massive 5 pound cyst that had eaten my ovary. I'm down to one ovary and hoping for more kids some day.

9 years later, I have two more kids (including the shocker) both of which came after another cyst scare. Since my youngest was born 7 months ago I've been back in the pain area. Called my doc...

2 months ago I had another u/s and they showed what were believed to be normal, functioning cysts...a lot of them. Sent me home, despite my request to take the thing out. Said if pain continued we'd discuss...

Today, 8AM another u/s. Tech says, "Oh my. You must be hurting." Now have a large hemmorhagic cyst. Ovary is doubled in size (not huge, but still enlarged)...cyst takes up 90% of that space. I say to my doc, "NOW can we take it out? I don't do medicine...I'd never take the B/C correctly." He warns about sending me into menopause to which I laugh and say, "Too late." Okay, not too late, but he knows.

Sooo...I'm scheduled for surgery next Wed. at 9AM. I'm very happy that I will be done dealing with near constant cyst pain (I have ever since before my son was conceived)....but I'm nervous about the menopause thing...I mean, I AM only 30. But, I also know I'd be going into menopause in another few years (with 95% likelihood) anyway.

Hubby is a bit freaked and worried about me...and we're worried about kiddo's being covered so he can see me....But we're managing.

Now, one thing I didn't mention in that (copied from another forum) is that I DID have the option of taking BC (which seem silly when you're had your tubes tied *giggle*)...but I know myself. I DONT take meds like I should and I'd likely stop taking them after a couple of months, if I ever took them properly in the first place. This WASNT a fly-by-night decision, it's one I've thought of for a long time. I HATE having surgery, needles, and IV's...so surgery is no casual thing for me. But, I also know that 10 years of pain and discomfort is wearing on me.

That doesn't mean I'm not worried...Everything will be gone...I'll have no more pain, but I'll have menopause because we are taking the ovary w/o question. I can't live w/ cystic pain anymore. I'm also scared because...well...it's surgery!!

So that's my long-winded intro. Don't worry, I'm always long-winded

Sadie
November 28th, 2006, 01:17 PM
jbc0827
I am glad to hear I am not the only one that is young (I am 29) getting ready to have a hysterectomy. I found out last week I am going to have to have one as well (I am waiting for the dr office to call me back with a date but it looks like it will be around Dec 15th). I have Stage 3 endemetriosis and since we are done having kids my plumbing goes. I knew I was going to have to have it done eventually but I didn't think it was going to be this soon. I had a beautiful baby girl in March of this year and I also have a beautiful 10 year old girl.

What kind of hysterectomy are they doing on you? My dr is doing a lapracopic supacervical one. Apparently the recovery time is much shorter- 2 to 3 weeks and the risk of infection is 90% less.

I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick and health recovery.
November 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm having a full hysterectomy through my abdomen using the guideline of my former scar. I've had one ooferectomy because of a massive (and I do mean massive) cyst that weighed as much as my youngest daughter did at birth. Since then I've survived on one ovary with near constant pain. Still somehow managed to conceive twice more (one as an 'oops' we only planned one more). Now this ovary is becoming swallowed by cysts as well. As my doc said, taking the ovary will send me into menopause, so we'll remove all the plumbing. I trust my doc completely...and I actually asked for it...but I'm still in shock that it's happening so fast.

Sadie
November 29th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope all goes well for you next wednesday.I had an abdominal hysterectomy in july this year after complications from a c-section which is a lot different to what your been through.Just remember we are for support if you need us at any time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search