Chronic headaches!

Forum: Women's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Women's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have had problems with migraines since I was sixteen. Well, I don't think I am having migraines because I haven't been having auras with these but I am getting headaches every day. They are starting to disrupt my life. I think they may be sinus headaches or seasonal but ever since somebody decided to stop selling sudafed in a convenient manner I don't have any relief for my headaches most of the time. I just go through sudafed too quickly and it is so inconvenient for me to buy now so I stopped buying it and the other stuff doesn't work. I get really severe headaches every time it rains or snows. I am thinking I should go to the docs now but I don't know why, I just hate going to the doctors. I have seen a neurologist a few times before for my headaches and nothing ever helps. Any headache sufferers out there have tips.

I also think that my headaches are related to how much time I spend online but not getting online isn't an option for me so I don't know.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 5th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
I also get chronic migraines/tension headaches...seems like if it's not one,it's the other! Currently my doctor has me taking inderal to prevent,twice a day. I also take Midrin for the tension headaches and Immitrex for the migraines. What I like isI am able to combine the two--midrin and imitrex...the midrin I can take every hour up to 5 capsules in 24 hrs....the imatrex I can take one and another 2 hrs later...my doctor also said they may be used at the same time. I was a little freaked about doing that so I called walgreens pharmacy and asked them...yes,because they both treat migraines..but differently,so I am able. Anyhow...that was my point,being able to take thing closer together helps me ALOT!! That way I am not suffering as long. I have times that my migraine last 36-48 hours and the bad part is I know I will get another in about 10 days Trust me...no one can possible dislike going to the doctors more then me...but you gotta do it to feel better!! I hope your able to get relief soon!! ((((HUGS))))

</div>

</blockquote>
December 6th, 2006, 08:47 AM
A couple other things I thought of...you may already know,but just in case

Ice and heat really help me. I tend to put the heat on my neck and ice on the front of my head...dark room! I also bought some bio freeze...used for stiff sore joints/muscles....I use this on the back of my neck when I have a bad headache...keeps my neck cool for some time during the headache(When I cant add ice--like getting the kids,etc). Strong coffee helps...I heard you can(FIRST indication you are getting a migraine) drink alka salsa(sp???)...you know the drink for upset tummy. I havent tried it...but I have heard that helps!! Let me know if you try it and it does!!

</div>

</blockquote>
December 6th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Quote:
A couple other things I thought of...you may already know,but just in case

Ice and heat really help me. I tend to put the heat on my neck and ice on the front of my head...dark room! I also bought some bio freeze...used for stiff sore joints/muscles....I use this on the back of my neck when I have a bad headache...keeps my neck cool for some time during the headache(When I cant add ice--like getting the kids,etc). Strong coffee helps...I heard you can(FIRST indication you are getting a migraine) drink alka salsa(sp???)...you know the drink for upset tummy. I havent tried it...but I have heard that helps!! Let me know if you try it and it does!![/b]
I use ice and heat a lot. I actually used to take alka selser. Oh and I drink a lot of caffeine when I get headached and it seems to help. I kind of think I may be getting rebound headaches. I don't know. I called my doctor today and scheduled appointment.

December 6th, 2006, 02:31 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get mild migraines every day, and a severe migraine about once a month. My neurologist wants to put me on Imitrex, but I can't take it until I stop bfing and that's still a while away. I hate having to take Ibuprofen everyday, but it helps. I've also started drinking coffee again, and the caffeine helps.

I went and got a new glasses prescription and that decreased the incidence of headaches as well.

But nothing has made them completely disappear. I'm really looking forward to getting on Imitrex.

December 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Quote:
I get mild migraines every day, and a severe migraine about once a month. My neurologist wants to put me on Imitrex, but I can't take it until I stop bfing and that's still a while away. I hate having to take Ibuprofen everyday, but it helps. I've also started drinking coffee again, and the caffeine helps.

I went and got a new glasses prescription and that decreased the incidence of headaches as well.

But nothing has made them completely disappear. I'm really looking forward to getting on Imitrex.[/b]
Oh I hadn't thought about this. I am breastfeeding too! I bet they can't prescribe any of the migraine meds. I have tried Imitrex and Midrin before and they didn't help. Thanks for all your advice. I have had a headache all day.

December 6th, 2006, 09:57 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
They've all had good suggestions, and I know you've probably tried them all at least once (sounds like it). Have you tried a chiropractor? I grew up hearing my mom's horror stories of chiropractors, so I was scared to death to try one for my migraines, but a friend of mine talked me into it back in 00-01. I used to get severe headaches EVERY day and migraines at least 3-4 times per month. Now I get headaches every few weeks and migraines every few months. I absolutely love my chiropractor. It's a husband/wife team. I convinced dh to go a few years ago and found out by his xrays that he's got scoliosis. We had no idea! This doc has also been treating all of Ben's orthopedic problems for the past year. He's gentle, he does followups, and he's wonderful at getting rid of pain!
December 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM
My Mom suggested to me going to the Chiropractor too...I havent made the appt yet because the thought of someone touching me that I dont know just gives me the willies. But if it really helps THAT much,maybe I should consider it more. Is it weird? What is a noraml appt like? Sorry to ask so much...but I have never been to one..

</div>

</blockquote>
December 7th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Quote:
They've all had good suggestions, and I know you've probably tried them all at least once (sounds like it). Have you tried a chiropractor? I grew up hearing my mom's horror stories of chiropractors, so I was scared to death to try one for my migraines, but a friend of mine talked me into it back in 00-01. I used to get severe headaches EVERY day and migraines at least 3-4 times per month. Now I get headaches every few weeks and migraines every few months. I absolutely love my chiropractor. It's a husband/wife team. I convinced dh to go a few years ago and found out by his xrays that he's got scoliosis. We had no idea! This doc has also been treating all of Ben's orthopedic problems for the past year. He's gentle, he does followups, and he's wonderful at getting rid of pain! [/b]
Yes, I went to a chiropractor and it was terrible. My neck hurt so bad the first night that I was up the whole night with ice on it. It hurt for three days after that and every time I went in for an adjustment my neck would hurt. I actually think the chiropractor visits made my headaches worse. I have considered going again but they are kind of expensive and I don't want to be in pain again.

December 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sometimes it hurts people who have never been, haven't been in a long time, or have problems with alignment/spasms. You go quite a bit at first (like every day or every other day) and slowly wean out to a "maintenance" schedule of 4-6 weeks. Different chiropractors have different techniques. Some use the manual method (the ones who actually "pop" your joints) and some use the activator method (looks like a tiny, hand-held pogo stick that pokes you ... it's very gentle), and some use both. Mine uses both, actually. Patty, you might look into finding one who uses only the activator and/or massage to put bones back into alignment. That's how I started out and it didn't hurt at all. Dh started out with the manual one, and because he's got so many back problems with his scoliosis, it hurt quite a bit at first... like exercising does to someone who's out of shape. Heat, ice, advil, and time work wonders.

Your first visit will take 30-60 minutes for evaluation and/or xrays. Followup visits take 5-10 minutes. You just lay on a table (like a massage table with a hole for your face), and he puts everything into place either manually or with the activator. Some "test" your alignment by having you raise one arm at a time, turning your head, etc. because the nerves all lead to the feet (which is why some people do foot massages on a regular basis). When a nerve is pinched, doing a particular action like raising your left arm would make one leg slightly shorter than the other. That way the doc knows exactly which nerve is being pinched and can fix it. My first chiro used that method. It was so cool to watch him use it on a friend of mine... you actually COULD see the difference.
December 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Sometimes it hurts people who have never been, haven't been in a long time, or have problems with alignment/spasms. You go quite a bit at first (like every day or every other day) and slowly wean out to a "maintenance" schedule of 4-6 weeks. Different chiropractors have different techniques. Some use the manual method (the ones who actually "pop" your joints) and some use the activator method (looks like a tiny, hand-held pogo stick that pokes you ... it's very gentle), and some use both. Mine uses both, actually. Patty, you might look into finding one who uses only the activator and/or massage to put bones back into alignment. That's how I started out and it didn't hurt at all. Dh started out with the manual one, and because he's got so many back problems with his scoliosis, it hurt quite a bit at first... like exercising does to someone who's out of shape. Heat, ice, advil, and time work wonders.

Your first visit will take 30-60 minutes for evaluation and/or xrays. Followup visits take 5-10 minutes. You just lay on a table (like a massage table with a hole for your face), and he puts everything into place either manually or with the activator. Some "test" your alignment by having you raise one arm at a time, turning your head, etc. because the nerves all lead to the feet (which is why some people do foot massages on a regular basis). When a nerve is pinched, doing a particular action like raising your left arm would make one leg slightly shorter than the other. That way the doc knows exactly which nerve is being pinched and can fix it. My first chiro used that method. It was so cool to watch him use it on a friend of mine... you actually COULD see the difference.[/b]
Awesome! Thanks for the info!! I think I really should make an appointment...

</div>

</blockquote>
December 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
mamaD's Avatar Veteran
chiro helped me mega i have had migraines since i was little i still get them but chiro helped so much and yup somedays it hurt but then if u call and let them know u can get in again before your next appt - massage helps me heaps too. i cant use anti migraine med since i had a horrible reaction so this is my only choice really.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search