Spring recipe challenge!

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
The prize this time is a 5-card reading and you get to choose your 5 cards and up to 5 questions, from a choice of Archangels, Goddesses and Fairies.

Just like the fall challenge....post your spring recipes here and when you're all done we'll vote! They can be related to a particular spring holiday like Easter, or just to the time of year, it's up to you. You can post more than one to get more chance of winning.

Good luck all!

March 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/sh...8#post14767888 - my recipe

Easter Buttons:

The following recipe makes around 24 button biscuits

Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus chilling (30 minutes)
Cook time: 10 minutes
Do Ahead: The biscuits can be made ahead and then stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days. The biscuit dough can be frozen.

Ingredients:
125g (4.5oz) soft butter
110g (4oz) Light brown soft sugar
175g (6oz) Golden Syrup
365g (13oz) Plain flower, sifted
25g (1oz) Cocoa
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon of milk

You will also need:
A 7.5cm (3in) and a 5cm(2in) round cookie cutter, a skewer and thin ribbon or cotton.

Method:
Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for five minutes until light and creamy. Add the sryup, flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and milk and beat to form a dough. Lightly knead the dough, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes until firm.

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C, fan 175 degrees C, gas mark 5. Put the dough between two peices of cling film and roll out to 5mm (a quarter inch) thick. Use the large cutter to cut out 24 buttons. Place on baking tray lined with baking parchment and gently press the blunt side of the small cutter into each biscuit to make an indent. Using the skewer make four holes in each biscuit and bake for ten minutes. If necessary, enlarge the button holes while still warm. Allow to cool, then thread the holes with your ribbon or cotton, tying on the underside to secure.

Alternitively you can make the same cookies but with a vanilla flavour by:
Omitting the cocoa and milk, then replace the brown sugar with 110g (4oz) of caster sugar, and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract when beating the butter and sugar.

Or you can make them with chocolate chips:
Omit the cocoa and milk, then add 150g (5oz) finely chopped dark chocolate (70%cocoa) along with the flour.
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

Last edited by *Firefly*; March 7th, 2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: to add the recipe
March 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yay! will be digging in my recipe box this weekend!
March 10th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Here's one from me! An oldie but a goodie.

EASTER BASKETS

You need:

2 large bars of milk chocolate
(when I say large I mean the ones with like 20+ chunks of chocolate: white chocolate might work as well but I prefer the milk choc)
A box of cornflakes
2 standard bags of mini eggs or similar sugar-coated chocolate eggs or sugar eggs
Cake cases
Easter chicks (optional, depending on the occasion!) - best to buy these after when you know how many cakes you've made!

1. Break the chocolate into chunks and put it in a glass/pottery bowl or dish that will sit on top of your saucepan.
2. Fill your saucepan say half to three quarters full with water and turn on the heat to bring to the boil.
3. Sit the bowl or dish of chocolate on top of your saucepan.
4. Stir occasionally as the water heats until all the chocolate is melted.
5. Pour some cornflakes in and mix. Do this bit by bit. You need the consistency to have plenty of cornflakes but enough chocolate to cover every flake with a bit over for binding.
6. Spoon the mixture into cake cases. Don't overfill them in the middle.
7. Put 2-3 mini eggs on top, pressing them into the middle to make the shape of a nest.
8. You may wish to put an Easter chick on top for decoration which is best done while the chocolate is still runny.
9. Leave to set at room temperature.
10. When set, keep the cakes in a tin or sealable plastic box, not in the fridge. They will keep well for 2-3 weeks and are perfect for Easter parties or kids birthdays around that time!

You can vary this recipe by using bran flakes or rice krispies (or any cereal you especially like) but cornflakes/branflakes make the shape of the nest best.

You can also use white chocolate or flavoured chocolate instead of plain milk chocolate.

You can also put marshmallows, smarties, raisins, nuts etc in the mixture for added interest as long as you don't make the mixture dry and don't put them in while the chocolate is still warm and can melt them.

March 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM
$pryNinja's Avatar Zef Fre$ Mom
Send a message via MSN to $pryNinja
oooohhhh geez, I am a horrible cook I can mess up grill cheese if I'm not careful... I've got nothin'

There is no greater power in the universe than the need for
freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot
stand.

March 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM
You could make the Easter baskets Katie, honestly, they're really easy xxx

March 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
okay, so this isn't a specific recipe, but I HAVE eaten it!!! And it is best in the spring!

Backyard Salad. Yes, that means go out into your backyard and start pickin'!!

all baby leaves:
lambsquarter
pigweed
dandelion
violet
fern fiddle heads

wash, dry, and toss in a bowl with the salad dressing of choice. yummy!!
March 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Zesty Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

2 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower, chopped
1 red onion, sliced in rings
2 cups green onion, chopped
1/2 cup zesty Italian dressing
Optional: 1/4 cup sunflower seeds

In a mixing bowl, combine the broccoli, cauliflower, onions and dressing. Toss, cover and refrigerate. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds before serving.

Last edited by Mystic; March 16th, 2009 at 02:11 AM.
March 16th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cucumber Dill Dip

I kinda made this up as I went along, trying to copy some fancy dip my husband loved, so I dont have exact amounts. Every get together and BBQ our friends have, they request this dip!

2-3 cucumbers
1 pkg of cream cheese
1 medium pkg of sour cream
dill, fresh or dried
lime juice
pepper-to taste
garlic salt-to taste

Peel and chop cucumbers. Mix cream cheese and sour cream (1/2-2/3 of the container) until its not lumpy, microwaving cream cheese may help. Add cucumbers and stir. I add more cream cheese or sour cream to get the desired consistancy. I prefer it a bit thicker so I usually add more sour cream. Stir in plenty of dill, pepper and garlic salt to taste. Add a few sqeezes of lime juice and chill for about 45 minutes. Serve with crackers.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
March 18th, 2009, 12:34 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
peanut butter cookies--
1 egg
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
(yes thats it!)
mix egg and sugar till blended then add PB. Roll into 12 balls and flaten with hand, make fork marks on top and cook for 10 min at 350 degrees. Its SO easy to make and great tasting!!! Perfect for last second company!
April 6th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Bump, all recipes in for Wednesday please girls then we can do the voting Thur-Fri x

Tags
challenges

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search