The teachings of Evolution and other theories in

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
Alright, I dont know if this post is allowed, so if it is not , PLEASE remove it and pm me to let me know. This is NOT a debate, but something has occured over the past week (in my family) and my husband has felt called to start a petition to ban these teachings and other like topics from the public schools curriculum.

The reason behind this is:
School Officials are not legally allowed to pray, or say anything about God, Jesus and this way of Creation.

However, its never been brought up that Evolution and the Big Bang Theory are ways of creation by others beleifs and religions.
How come they are allowed to teach these beleifs of Creations and not teach the Christian beliefs of Creation.

Anyway, If one is not allowed, I personally do not think the others should be allowed as well.
If you support this cause (the banning of Evolution and other like theories from the Public school systems, please visit this site: Petition to Ban Evolution and other like topics from Public Schools there will be a link to the actual petition.

Again, I do not know if this post is allowed, so if its not, please let me know and remove it. I do not want to cause any trouble.
Thanks...

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

August 24th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think they should allow one and not the other, but I do understand why they do teach evolution. For the science classes they need a scientific reason for the world to come into being and people being here. And even though it's not proved Evolution seems to be the most accepted explanation used in classrooms. I know the teachers in my old school's even sat up there and said, there are a lot of different beliefs out there about how everything started and we just have to teach this one because it's accepted by the boards of the different schools. So I think if you want to get it out of school's you have to first start in your own district and town. I personally am not going to petition it because if they take evolution out of the texts they might put something crazier in there lol
August 25th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do not support a petition like this either.

In my school they teach all of the theories, they dwell mostly on the scientific ones because it is science not because certain religions may or may not believe in them.
August 26th, 2004, 03:57 AM
zonapellucida
As you already know I think it should be all or nothing.
September 7th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also believe that if they are going to teach evolution, they should teach creationism, and all the other theories as well.

September 8th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Texas Mom
ITA!!!
September 9th, 2004, 12:21 PM
twinsmom26
I think they teach evlolution because it is more science related. I dont know what religion would fall under in school. Maybe history. The history of religion. Or maybe they should have an extra curriculum class for religion where it would be the childs choice on whether or not to join. This way they are learning what the parents would like them to learn.
September 15th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I'm going to try not to :soapbox: here, but as a former science teacher here are my 2 cents. While the big bang and evolution may fit into some religious beliefs(which I am still trying to figure out what is meant by that), they also have a scientific basis. In SCIENCE class, that needs to be the definitive thing for what gets taught. However, that being said ... when I had to work on evolution for the biology class I taught, I did allow discussion of other theories of creation, including both religious and other scientific theories.

The first problem with teaching ALL of them is that there are quite frankly too many. Most people who want creationism taught want biblical creation taught. They don't truly take into account ALL other religious (or other) concepts. To include all of them would be a class all on its own. In addition, I don't know how you could possibly train a person to teach that. At least at the high school level, students expect you to have a pretty detailed understanding of what you are teaching, and with that many different concepts, it would be hard for one person to know that much about any of them. The only way for this to be remedied would be to have taht as a major area of study, and most schools cannot afford to hire a person to essentially teach one class.

Sorry, but in my opinion, science class (where evolution is generally taught) needs to focus on what there is the most scientific evidence for. While it may not be enough for a lot of people, evolution is where the most evidence lies. If I ranted too much here, I apologize.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search