I have a question....

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Carol
Ok, first off, let me say that I'm not sure how to word this, so it may come out sounding wrong. But I don't mean any offense, it is a legitimate question that I am very interested in the answers. It is not meant to offend or be hateful.

How did you know what beliefs were right for you? Was it something you were raised with, therefore you continue with those beliefs? Is it something that you have researched and is logical for you? Or is it something you want to believe in because it sounds appealing? (The last one is what I had trouble wording).

Thanks to any and all answers, because honestly, I am trying to "find" my spirituality and don't really know where to start.
September 3rd, 2004, 12:00 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
How did you know what beliefs were right for you?[/b]
I have always just felt like I do and always believed in what I do. I was not raised Christian, mom tried to take us to church for 2 years but gave up trying to get 4 unwilling kids to go.lol I have never believed in Christianity, it never felt right, it has always felt forced, unfair, intolerant and cruel. Paganism has always been where I've been at, I just didn't know it had a name until just over a year ago. I have always been pulled towards aspects of Paganism and I see in my kids they have the same pull.
September 3rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
zonapellucida
I tried a bunch out and decided based on how I slept at night.
September 3rd, 2004, 12:54 PM
I Heart 4x4
Carol, I'm absolutely no help here because I'm still trying to figure out where I belong.

Like Carrie, Christianity doesn't fit me (mainly because of the Bible) ... my mom tried to force it on me, too. My parents dragged me to church kicking and screaming until I was 15 or so. I think they gave up on me when I starting falling asleep ... my mom got mad at me for snoring.

I thought about becoming Catholic at one time, I felt so comfortable at the Catholic church and mass is really beautiful and moving. But, there is a lot I don't agree with Catholicism.

I went through an Atheist phase. Then I got pregnant and realized I was wrong. LOL.

I thought about becoming Buddhist but ... that doesn't fit me 100% although it's a way better fit than any form of Christianity. I would like to go to temple sometime, to see what it is like.

Right now I call myself Ambiguous. By that, I mean I am unsure of who or what is out there, but I know that something is out there. I believe in nature, but not sure about a singular God or even multi-Gods.

Ah hell, I am just confused. LOL.
September 3rd, 2004, 01:17 PM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My beliefs came from learning about Christ in church while attending as I grew up. I was never made go to church either. ( Like I have heard some people say) I went from the time I was 7 yrs.old. Because I enjoyed it and I felt good inside about what I had learned. I knew at age 8 yrs.old the LORD came into my heart & life! I could feel him!

September 3rd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
I grew up in a Baptist church. My parents never "Made" us go, I dont beleive. We had the right as we got older to go to a different church if we wanted. I have visited many different denomination of churches and found that I would rather attend Baptist.
As I have gotten older, and become a parent myself, I feel that what I learned growing up in church, I can pass down to my children, and hope that they will follow in my footsteps and go to church, but as they get old enough to know what they want to do, I will not force them, I can only pray for them.

Religion has never been forced on me. I think that since I was raised around Christianity and have seen proof of many things that I have been taught over the years, it just makes me "Know" that my faith is right for me.
I started attending Church with my parents at birth. When I was 9 years old, is when I got saved and asked the Lord to come into my heart as well.

Also, I agree with Tammy! I like the way it makes me feel to go to church and learn.

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

September 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
WEll I was raised Christian and it just always seemed no right to me (No offense to you christian girls lol just stating not right FOR me) Well I also tried Catholic and Apostolic and even talked to a few Jewish people. NOTHING and then I met Calisto. Something about her just seemed so right to me. She invited me to a Beltane festival that lasted 5 days, I went and that's when I discovered paganism and wiccan and that's when I just KNEW this was for me. This was a religion FOR me personally. I got into it and am still learning to this day.
September 4th, 2004, 02:08 PM
OhClueless1
I am so stuck with this too Carol. I wish I had advice but I can't seem to help myself either.

I was raised Catholic. There are certain things about being Catholic that are comforting for me. My problem is that I think that comfort is based on memories from my childhood in my hometown and I have never ever found such a wonderful place since we left when I was about 10ish. I have tried and studied so much different stuff... Nothing was right for me. I have tried other churches. You name it.

I think my problems come from the guilt associated with growing up Catholic. I know some may not agree but it seems to me that is so much about guilt. Everything you do you must be punished for in hopes that you purge yourself enough to be able to go to heaven. That includes other religions, non catholic churches.

I want so much to be free from that... I have been wanting to try maybe a pagan religion so much... but I am so afraid I am going to burn in hell. I know I sound paranoid.. but that is how much this is ingrained into my mind. Plus my husband is one of them good ole country boys.. I love him to pieces... but he just doesn't understand me sometimes. I hope this makes some sense. The whole thing is very confusing to me.
September 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Carol
Thanks to all who answered this for me. I am doing a little research on several different belief systems. So far nothing has "grabbed" me, if that makes sense. I know what I believe in, and what I feel is our "purpose" but I don't know if it has a name...LOL. It combines quite a few different religions.

Jessyca, like you, I am afraid to open myself up to the other possibilities, for fear of what has been beat into my head for 30+ years.
September 7th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Texas Mom
First off, sorry....I kinda feel like I'm intruding since I make rare posts out here...but in my heart today felt like I need to make it a part of my just mommy rounds (if you'll say...)....

How did you know what beliefs were right for you? I was raised Southern Baptist and knew I didn't want that...besides my dad did everything they told us not to when it wasn't Sunday. There was no real role model there and yes, he did force us to go every Sunday. My mom had no real firm "religion" but just wanted us to have God in our lives somehow...so it was much more occasional with her. What was right for me was where I felt at home. There is a lot I don't agree with in quite a few "religions" however, I found a church and people that were real. Not fake....that is what sealed the deal along with some basic religious thoughts!

Was it something you were raised with, therefore you continue with those beliefs? Yes and no....yes, because I was raised with Christianity, but no because no one but my sister is Catholic. We are 30-something converts.

Is it something that you have researched and is logical for you? Yes, like I said, there are things I'm not sold on in its entirety...but I'd find it hard to believe that people can with any religion...if they really try to know it or get to know it. In being a convert I had to take the equivalent of Catholic religion classes....this helps you decided if you really even want to do it. That was MOST helpful for me!

Or is it something you want to believe in because it sounds appealing? (The last one is what I had trouble wording). LOL! No...appealing or going with the crowd doesn't work for me.....LOL! I really have to have it in my heart. Yes, I've grown up with it but that isn't what I wanted and I knew that for a long time. For many years I never found a church....but I'm glad I held out...and did not choose what was appealing. That is the funny thing about religion....it doesn't always suit us...meaning you are not going to like EVERY thing about it. I think you are kidding yourself if you are searching for that. I don't always go to church, unfortunately I cuss (try real hard not to in front of my myna bird), I drink, etc., etc....I'm not perfect and my own priest and everyone else there doesn't condemn me for it. I don't feel like I'm looked badly because of it either. I have my own walk of faith with God and will always have it with or without a church to accompany it. I don't believe you have to have a church to make your walk with God....it is the personal relationship you have with Him. And in the meantime....I found a darn good church to supplement it with! LOL!
September 8th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I was raised Southern Baptist, my grandfather was even a pastor. I never remember being "drug" to church. I always enjoyed it. I also researched my beliefs as I got older for myself. Christianity just makes the most sense to me. I am still Southern Baptist, and my husband is also. He was raised Baptist. His dad was a pastor, but, when he got older, he looked around at different churches as well, and researched his beliefs. He said Christianity, and the Southern Baptist denomination made the most sense to him as well. He is now a licensed Southern Baptist minister. I guess my advice to you is just do your research, really study into it, and you will be lead to the right place.

September 8th, 2004, 06:18 AM
alyssasmommy2001
I wasn't raised to believe in anything really. My mom took me to church with her, which was a church that had more of the Jewish faith than anything else. But my dad didn't believe in anything, nor did the rest of my family, and they CERTAINLY showed it. B/C of how my family was, a lot of bad things happened to me, and I went through a lot. In my teenage years, I was totally athiest. I didn't believe there could be any God anywhere, and if there was He was evil for letting such bad things happen to people. I had so much hate in my heart towards people. I didn't trust anyone, and certainly didn't care about anyone. I led a completely wreckless lifestyle. I didn't care about my own body, my safety or my own life, and just continued to spiral downward. Then I finally just came to this point in my life where I turned to God. I didn't believe right off hand, I just started seeking answers. And, I could never explain it to anyone in this world, but somehow, God just showed me the answers to why I had gone through what I had, and I understood. I have believed ever since, and even if something terrible happens in my life, I still believe, and more importantly, I can be at peace with whatever happens in my life, no matter how bad it is.

I do believe most of the Christian beliefs, but still do struggle with things sometimes. I am not even close to having all the answers. Heck, if I DID have all the answers, then my life would be perfect, KWIM? I just believe in God, and believe in Jesus Christ, b/c there is too much evidence in MY life for me not to. It fits me, and it just feels right. Good luck to you ladies who are searching. I hope you find what you are looking for.
September 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I've read stuff on other religions,Mormons, Jehova's other Christian faiths. I felt the Catholic beliefs were the truest beliefs for me. And I felt most comfortable practicing being Catholic. So I stay a Catholic what I was raised. We are raising our son to be Catholic also.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search