Foraging

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
After Terri's comment that I should spend time in nature I was thinking about where I can possibly do so until baby is born, as I daren't go too far away and I live in the suburbs. We have farmland around here, but can't walk on that. We do have a park and also a wooded path leading to a duck pond, and a canal tow path though that is a little further away. We also have one country park which is a 10 min drive, a big city park which is a 20 min drive and a garden centre with play area and nature reserve which is a 10 min drive. If I go overdue, however, these things won't last and I daren't chance a trip to somewhere like the zoo which is an hour away with me as the sole driver for obvious reasons.

However I was looking on the "Living In Season" website and this sort of inspired me - this is something Dan and I can do just on local walks around the footpaths and fields:
Foraging in the City | Living in Season - slow time, seasonal celebrations, holidays

Have you ever foraged in your local area? What sorts of things have you found? How have you used them?

If you haven't done it before, is it something you'd consider?

July 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I'm super extremely super duper duper excited about foraging on the land we just bought. The upper 5 is surrounded by Smooth Sumac trees which have berries on them that you can eat in August/September. We also have black walnut and tons of other stuff I'm sure but it's so overgrown we've barely been able to look at all of the land we bought. I can't wait!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

July 25th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
That's gonna be one fantastic adventure Jackie.

Shaun introduced me to foraging really. He knows places where different sorts of berries, and edible plants like garlic, grow, all over the North-West and Peak District, from moving around on his boat. Though my dad also used to do this with us as kids. Blackberries and bilberries used to grow on Rivington Pike where we used to go for walks in the autumn, I don't know if they still do.

In more recent years I have certainly foraged for things like holly and ivy for Yule as I know places in the footpaths where they grow wild. Most of the wildflowers are protected, sadly for me but happily for the flowers. I have also wondered about foraging mushrooms but I worry about mistaking one sort for another. We get mushrooms which I'm 80% sure are edible St George's mushrooms most years on our front garden. I didn't dare even touch them this year "just in case" with being pregnant tho.

Tags
spiritual living

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search