Friday Five 10/19

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Shades of Grey
  • 1 Post By Sacred Silence
  • 1 Post By Shades of Grey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
from thefridayfive.livejournal.com archives - this one is right up our street.

1) What religion, spirituality, or belief system were you raised in?
2) Do you subscribe to the same belief system now? If not, what do you believe/identify with now?
3) Is belonging to an organized religious community important to you? Why nor why not?
4) Have you read any holy texts? (Of your faith or another). Have they had/do they have any impact on your worldview? In what way?
5) Do you participate in any spiritual rituals? (Eg: prayer, religious services, nonsecular holidays, etc).

October 19th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Christianity - C of E / Anglican

2) Do you subscribe to the same belief system now? If not, what do you believe/identify with now?
No, though I have taken some of the morals and beliefs forward with me and still believe in Jesus as an ascended master. I am eclectic Pagan now.

3) Is belonging to an organized religious community important to you? Why nor why not?
No, because spirituality to me is very individualised and personal. Everyone's path is unique.

4) Have you read any holy texts? (Of your faith or another). Have they had/do they have any impact on your worldview? In what way?
The Bible, bits of the Qu'ran, the Wiccan Rede and other Christian and Pagan prayers. They have inspired me, rather than impacted on my worldview. After all, they were penned by man and therefore subject to "spin". My worldview is mostly based on experience.

5) Do you participate in any spiritual rituals? (Eg: prayer, religious services, nonsecular holidays, etc).
Prayer and devotion - daily
Spellcraft - at appropriate times of the month and year
The spiritual meaning of Imbolc, Ostara/Easter, Samhain and Yule/Christmas. Trying to add a Sabbat a year. This year I also celebrated Mabon. Next year I would like to incorporate Beltane and/or Lammas. I'll get there in the end!

October 19th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I keep saying I wasn't, but the other night I remember that as a young child (like 4 or 5), some church would pick us kids up in a van, we'd go to the church and watch these puppet things. I don't remember much else about this. I don't even know what religion it was my mother was... This only lasted a few months I think.

No, I've never been a Christian. I'm a Pagan following a witchcraft path.

Only online so I can share ideas. I have no need to seek out a coven or anything close to me. Some of the ladies here are very close to me though ♥

Nope, my religion doesn't have any texts.

Only personal stuff.

Co-Host of July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Team Green Predicted A Boy

October 19th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was raised LDS (Latter Day Saints/Mormon) but fairly casually, I wasnt baptized until I was 14, rather than 8 as usually done.

No, I dont, Im a bit liberal and outspoken for that. I do take from it a strong importance of family. The rest of my belief system is an eclectic array, yet to be categorized

No I wouldnt really say its important to me, not at this time. I believe organized religion is one of many spiritual tools we have at our disposal that we may choose to utilize. I do have a deep respect and appreciation for churches, and its played its roll in my faith in the past, and probably again in the future.

I have read (mostly) the King James Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the Doctrine and Covenants... The mormon 'quad' if you will I actually went to and graduated from early morning seminary. I went each morning before school through high school.

I pray, and have been thinking of attending a church service lately. My father, a priesthood holder in the LDS church, has given me blessing in the past, when I have been sick or in particular time of need. He gave my son, and will this one to come, blessing in a church service. It really means a lot to me. Whether or not I believe in all the teachings and practices of the church, I absolutely believe in the power of my father laying his hands on my, or my childs, head to bestow blessings. He is the best man Ive ever known and if anyone can do that, its him Ive been thinking of asking him to give Truett and I a blessing before the birth. Its something that really scares me and I may need all the help I can get.
Amaranth Dhanya likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
October 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Sacred Silence's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1) What religion, spirituality, or belief system were you raised in? Protestant Christianity
2) Do you subscribe to the same belief system now? If not, what do you believe/identify with now? No. I am deciding. LOL
3) Is belonging to an organized religious community important to you? Why nor why not? No.
4) Have you read any holy texts? (Of your faith or another). Have they had/do they have any impact on your worldview? In what way? Yes. I have read excerpts from the Bible, the Koran, and the Torah. Mostly, though I've read the Bible (covered almost all of it). And, yes, it's affected my worldview in several ways. Number One, it's given me some very positive values to live my life by. Number Two, It is not free from errors.. it has, after all been touched by man who is granted free will. Number Three, The dogma surrounding the Bible has made me aware that many who can read words and lose the meaning in their literal interpretation.
5) Do you participate in any spiritual rituals? (Eg: prayer, religious services, nonsecular holidays, etc). Of course, prayers, meditation, affirmations, go to mass with my family, we participate in all catholic rites.

October 19th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Valkyrie View Post
from thefridayfive.livejournal.com archives - this one is right up our street.

1. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints aka Mormon.
2. No I dont, but like Ashleigh I do take from it a strong belief in the importance of family. Call me Eclectic Pagan or IndoPagan...that would best describe me.
3. No, it isnt. I think a spiritual community is important but not a must to have a strong spirituality and connection with the Divine. So if I can chat with people or occasionally hang with those who follow similar beliefs that is awesome but I dont need it.
4. Ive read the Bible, The Book of Mormon/Pearl of Great Price/ Doctrine and Covenants(all books of the Mormon faith). Ive read some of the Bhagavad Gita and am reading a book about the main points of it now. The items Ive read in the Gita have changed my views...well have enhanced things Ive already believed and helped me know I wasnt alone in my thinking too LOL. I get stuff from all Ive read but I dont lean on them anymore for my spiritual growth like I did as a youth.
5. I do rituals occasionally for Wiccan holidays or for personal/family needs or desires. We celebrate most major holidays like Christmas and Easter and such but add our own beliefs to them vs the ones the majority of the world add to them(birth or death/resurrection of Christ,etc). I pray and meditate(not as much as Id like tho) as well. Im always speaking with the Divine even if its just internally during the day.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~

Last edited by Amaranth Dhanya; October 19th, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
October 19th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I meant to add regarding a spiritual community... I feel like this board is kind of my spiritual community. I have learned so much from the conversations and experiences through this board. I dont have many like minded or open people in my life. So thank you, ladies, for being my spiritual community

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.

Tags
friday five , friday qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search