Finding my center

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By Adding1more
  • 1 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 2 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By fromGirltoMommy
  • 2 Post By Sacred Silence
  • 1 Post By Shades of Grey
  • 2 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 1 Post By Adding1more
  • 1 Post By Carwen*Angel
  • 1 Post By mal91011

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2013, 12:32 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
Hi ladies - I've been a lurker on this board for quite a while and have posted a few times I think.

I need some suggestions on finding some balance in life. I just had my little guy 7 weeks ago and while he's what I wanted more than anything in the world, I didn't realize just how turned over my world would become. Throw in a mild case of ppd and I'm all over the place! I'm also discovering since having him that my mind is wanting to start some kind of spiritual journey. I'm not sure exactly what kind of journey it is that I'm looking for, but I find myself thinking more and more about it.

Usually when I find myself needing to re center I just find time to mediate. I can't believe how hard it is now, plus my peaceful room I used to use for meditation is now a baby room.

I was thinking of finding a new quite space in my house and setting up an altar. Do you ladies have any other ideas?

March 10th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Mitra Shonu's Avatar ~Seeking the Way~
Hi...I'm Melissa...nice to meet you...

While I don't really have any different ideas for you, other than what you already posted, I do understand that connecting spiritually can be difficult with a new little guy in your life...I think you might be able to find some meditation time while you are feeding him, or playing with him...even though it might not be a purposeful meditation, a quiet reflective moment can be just as effective...and including your little guy in your "spiritual" moments, however small they may be, will be even more effective, I think, and also an incredible bonding experience to boot. Although finding a few moments alone would be ideal, just to center yourself and breathe, you could always "freshen up" your altar to reflect the season and connect while doing so.

I hope this may help, even if just a little bit...and a huge congratulations and welcome to little Maxwell..

A very special THANK YOU to Bokkechick for my gorgeous new siggy!

March 10th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
It is definitely hard with a little one in the house.

Welcome to the board! I hope you will carry on posting with us.

I think the altar is a good idea, and I will think about what I have done and try to come up with some more suggestions for you.

March 10th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Super Mommy
Welcome and congratulations!!

I remember that feeling all too well from having my first. It was the most amazing and the hardest thing I have ever done. What about when you are feeding? I used to find that my DD would feed for about 45 minutes each side and I could actually attach her and then zone out. You could do the same if you are bottle feeding too. I would sit in my rocking chair in the sunshine looking out the window and just be. It really helped me. Otherwise what about when DH gets home. Can he take your little fellow for your while you take a half hour break? Even if your quiet space is now the baby's room, is there a space in your yard or a park near by you could go to.

The most important thing I learnt from having my children is that you need to still make time for you or else you lose yourself in being a mum. Freshening up your altar sounds like a great idea and will also give you a space.

Hope that helps. I had PPD with both my children so if you need someone to chat to let me know.

Welcome earthside Maxwell!!
Carwen*Angel likes this.
March 10th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I usually recommend meditating, but you are familiar with that already. I'm feeling pulled to tell you to get a spiritual book. With a little one, you're feeding a lot and cuddling with naps, so it'd be a great time to sit back and relax and read a book on spirituality. It'll spark ideas like non-other! ♥
lhug_nar likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Thank you so much for your suggestions, ladies.

I've never created an altar before, but i've been brainstorming what all i would include in it. For sure my figurine of Kuan Yin. But because i didn't write it down when i was brainstorming in the middle of the night while feeding Max, i've forgotten what else i came up with. Are there any items that you guys could suggest that would be good for a spiritural altar that would help with balance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy Witchy Chicky View Post
I usually recommend meditating, but you are familiar with that already. I'm feeling pulled to tell you to get a spiritual book. With a little one, you're feeding a lot and cuddling with naps, so it'd be a great time to sit back and relax and read a book on spirituality. It'll spark ideas like non-other! ♥
Do you have any book suggestions?
Carwen*Angel and Earthy.Mama like this.

March 10th, 2013, 02:54 PM
fromGirltoMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
An altar sounds like a great idea. Welcome, and please jump in and post with us! I would love to get to know you better, congrats on the birth of your son
Carwen*Angel likes this.
(( 01*21*14 ))

Thy will be done through me for the highest good of all and for the true manifestation of my purpose.

in this time and in the place, I try to live with love and grace
March 11th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Sacred Silence's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even if you can't find the time to meditate, perhaps you could find a few mintues to do some breathing exercises which can help you quickly center in the moment. Breathe in for the count 8, hold for 2, breathe out for the count of 8 and hold for the count of 2. Do this about 4 times in a row and feel tension and emotion flow away in that moment.

Most of the girls here are pagan and can help you with an altar. I'm not pagan and can't help you there!

Congrats on the birth of your son and good luck finding the place where you feel comfortable spiritually.
lhug_nar and fromGirltoMommy like this.

March 12th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, welcome, and congrats on your little one! I had a baby in december and since then have been really struggling with balance. I have an alter on a shelf in my bed room. Now that the baby is here, he sleeps under it so its a bit less accessable. I hardly have time to meditate either. I started focusing on my breathing and semi meditating when I rock my son to sleep at night. I gotta take it where I can get it!
Carwen*Angel likes this.

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
March 12th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post

Do you have any book suggestions?
Most of the books I have a pagan related, however this book is more spiritual and I really like it. I don't agree with everything 100% but that's because I have my own way of doing things but this book just has so many ideas and suggestions about spirituality, it's pretty awesome!

Your Aura & Your Chakras: The Owner's Manual by Karla McLaren - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Carwen*Angel and Adding1more like this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 13th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Super Mommy
If you are looking for balance within your altar make sure you cover all the elements, Earth, Air, Fire, Water and I like to include Spirit. Maybe some crystals that make you feel calm, or a picture of somethign your find serene.
Carwen*Angel likes this.
March 13th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Some good crystals for balancing, grounding and healing as well as addressing the depression:
Citrine
Amber
Sunstone
Carnelian
Smoky quartz
Rainbow fluorite
Green fluorite
Rose quartz
Malachite
Aventurine
Clear quartz
Amethyst

You could really do with a visit to a shop that sells crystals where you can see and hold them, to help you decide which one(s) you're drawn to.

Books-wise I would recommend Life Is Calling by Stephanie J. King. This is a book that can be read cover to cover or picked up daily and used as an oracle with lots of different messages. Diana Cooper's Light Up Your Life is also very inspirational and can really help if you're feeling somewhat lost.

The other thing I would say to you is spend more time in nature! This always helps me when I'm feeling ungrounded or unbalanced or unwell. This could include time in the garden, walking a pet, local walks, or picnics/days out in the countryside, by the ocean or a lake, or at an animal sanctuary.
Adding1more likes this.

March 20th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I would love to be able to spend time in nature, but we're having the winter that will never end! Right now we live in the city but will be putting our house on the market with in the year. Our next house will have property and hubby and I have already decided that I'll have my own little spiritual corner.

Friday I'll be going to a shop that sells stones and crystals and find what speaks to me. This weekend I'll also be picking up from my parents house a large chunk of amethyst that belonged to my grandparents. I look at that as a way of honoring my ancestors.

I've also found for my alter at the antique shop a brass grasshopper, which is part of my totem. The day we got married dh and I both separately saw the biggest grasshopper in our backyard (also the location we got married) and also saw a large grasshopper on our back deck theday I got my bfp. Has to mean something, right!?

I'm excited to go to the shop on friday. I'll let you ladies know what I come up with.
Adding1more likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search