Weekly Fall Recipe Thread for 28th Oct+

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Post your fall / Hallowe'en recipes here, with pics, links, etc as you wish!

October 30th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Spider brownies!

This was from a recipe in a cookbook of Shaun's though we doubled up the ingredients and tweaked a couple of them. The recipe was for dark chocolate brownies, and we used milk chocolate as it was for the kids as much as us; however in retrospect I would probably use less sugar.

We used:

350g chocolate
340g brown sugar
110g plain white flour
110g margarine
4 eggs
tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Melt the butter/margarine and chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of heated water. Leave to cool for 5 mins. Then beat in first the sugar, then the eggs, then the vanilla essence.

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Then fold in the chocolate mixture.

When all is mixed, pour into a greased tray. Bake for 25 mins at 180 degrees C. If you have a fan oven, like we do, try 160 degrees C. We turned it down to this after the edges started to burn.

For the decoration, we used:

50g chocolate
Edible silver glitter
Red sugar balls (over here they come in mixed colours, we just picked them out)
Chocolate strands

First I painted out the web shape with melted chocolate using the edge of a spoon, then sprinkled silver glitter over the web strands. The spiders are blobs of chocolate, I tried to pull out 8 legs with a knife but it didn't work all that well, and decorated their bodies with chocolate strands. Then used red sugar balls for their eyes, would have looked really silly with 8 on each spider so I did 4.

Verdict: They are yummy but a little too sugary, I would do less sugar and a bit more flour and chocolate next time, possibly even cocoa instead of some of the sugar.

This is the whole thing before it was cut into squares. It looks black on top in the photo but it's dark brown in reality with a sort of caramel brown inside.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search