Bible promises

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2016, 01:55 AM
Greetings myfellow Christian brothers and sisters,

I love to speak the truth and I have very serious questions that I thinkmanybelievers would like to know the answer to. Can you tell me please whydoesGod's word promise so much and yet fulfils so very little to nothing inthelives of many devout Christians, in terms of, for example: long life,health,peace, joy and happiness, etc? Instead, I've seen many atheists wholive veryhealthy, prosperous and happy lives and they obviously don't believein keepingGod's commandments. Doesn't the Bible lose credibility in this way? Isn't thispart of the reason why many people don't take God, His commandments or theBible seriously?

In other words, why do not all devout Christians livelong lives and haveoptimum health as countless scriptures promise, such as:
Psalms 84;90, 91;103; Pr 10:27, etc?

There are many scriptures about healing:

Exodus 15:26 - “…I am the Lord who heals you.”

The scripture in John10:10:states: "... Ihave come that they may have life, and have it to thefull."Doesn'tthis scripture mean that God desires for us faithful Christians to bein optimumhealth?
Only when someone is healthy can he or she have life to the full.
Not when our bodies are incapacitated or debilitated by pain, sicknessordisease.

Psalms 103:2-3
- Blessthe Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits:Who forgives all youriniquities, Who heals all your diseases.

The verse in Proverbs4:22refers to God's word and states: "for they are life tothose who find themand health to one’s whole body."

Many other scripturesstate that God wants us healed and whole:

For example: Isaiah 53:5 -But he waspierced for ourtransgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishmentthat broughtus peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.

Jeremiah 30:17- “I will giveyou back your health andheal your wounds,” says the Lord.

1Peter 2:24 - "Hehimself bore our sins” in hisbody on the cross, so that we might die to sinsand live for righteousness; “byhis wounds you have been healed.”

Romans 8:11 - And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus fromthedead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also givelifeto your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.

Romans 8:32- He who did not spare His own Son, but deliveredHimup for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?

There are manyexamples of miracles and healings asrecorded in the bible. Here are just a few scripturalexamples: Leper inGalilee (Mt 8:1-4); Paralytic (palsy) atCapernaum (Mt 9:2-8);Man with a withered handin Galilee possibly Capernaum (Mt 12:10-13);Womenwith issue of blood(hemorrhaging) healed at Capernaum during first preachingtour through Galilee (Mt 9:20-22); Two blind men atCapernaum (onthe northern shore of the Sea of Galilee) (Mt 9:27-31);Two BlindMen DepartingJericho (Mt 20:29-34);Jesus raises a dead girl andheals a sick woman (Mk 5:21-43);and many others as weread in: Mt4:23-24; Mt8:5–7, 16-17; Mt 9:6-7; Mt 15:30; Mt 20:34; Mk 3:1-5; Mk 5:25-29; Mk10:49-52;Lk 4:40; Lk 6:19; Lk 7:12-15; Lk 13:11-13; Jn 5:5-9; Ac 10:38,etc.

Psalm 107:19–20 - “Lord, help!” theycried in theirtrouble, and He saved them from their distress. He sentout His word and healedthem, snatching them from the door of death.

Psalm 91:3 - For He will rescueyou from everytrap and protect you from deadly disease.

3 John 1:2 - Beloved, I praythat in all respects you may prosperand be in good health, just as yoursoul prospers.

Here is another example:Psalm 91: Whoever dwells inthe shelter of the Most Highwill rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I willsay of the Lord, “He is my refugeand my fortress, my God, in whomI trust.” Surely he will save youfrom the fowler’s snare and from thedeadly pestilence. He will cover youwith his feathers, and under his wingsyou will find refuge; hisfaithfulness will be your shield and rampart.You will not fear the terror ofnight, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor thepestilence that stalks in thedarkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.A thousand may fall at yourside, ten thousand at your right hand, but it willnot come near you. You willonly observe with your eyes and see the punishmentof the wicked. If you say,“The Lord is my refuge,” and you make theMost High your dwelling, noharm will overtake you, no disaster will come nearyour tent. For he willcommand his angels concerning you to guard you in allyour ways; they will liftyou up in their hands, so that you will not strikeyour foot against a stone.You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you willtrample the great lion andthe serpent. “Because he loves me,” says the Lord,“I will rescue him; Iwill protect him, for he acknowledges myname. He will call on me, and Iwill answer him; I will be with him in trouble,I will deliver him and honorhim. With long life I willsatisfy him and show him my salvation.”

The promise of blessings,including: peace,protection, happiness,healing, long-life and prosperityis not just in the OldTestament (Ex 20:12; Dt5:16; Ps 34:12-16; Pr 22:9),but reaffirmed in theNew Testament (2 Cor 9:10; Eph6:2-3; 1 Pe 3:9-10).

Innumerablescriptures promise peace, joy, strength,protection, provision and prosperity.Here are just a few:

Ro 5:1 - Therefore, since wehave been justified throughfaith, we have peace with God through ourLord Jesus Christ,

Ps 1:1-3 - Blessed is the one who does not walk in step withthewicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company ofmockers,but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on hislaw dayand night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, whichyieldsits fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers.

Ps 4:8 - In peace I will lie down and sleep, for youalone,Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Ps 12:5 - “Because the poor are plundered and the needy groan,Iwill now arise,” says the Lord. “I will protect them from thosewhomalign them.”

Ps 16:11 - You make known to me the path of life; you will fillmewith joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Ps 29:11 - The Lord gives strength to his people; theLordblesses his people with peace.

Ps 46:1 - God is our refuge and strength,anever-present help in trouble.

Psalm 105:37 - He also brought them out with silver and gold,andthere was none feeble among His tribes.

Ps 119:165 - Great peace have those who love your law,andnothing can make them stumble.

Ps 138:7 - Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preservemylife. You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with yourrighthand you save me.

Pr 10:22 - The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He addsnosorrow with it.

Pr 22:9 - The generous will themselves be blessed, for theysharetheir food with the poor.

Is 32:17 - The fruit ofthat righteousness will be peace;its effect will be quietness andconfidence forever.

Is 41:10 - So do not fear, for I am withyou; do not be dismayed,for I am your God. I will strengthen you andhelp you; I will uphold youwith my righteous right hand.

Jer 17:8 - They will be like a tree planted by the waterthatsends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; itsleavesare always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never failstobear fruit.”

Php 4:7- And the peace of God, which transcendsall understanding, will guardyour hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Php 4:19 - And my God will meet all your needs according totheriches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Ro 15:13 - May the God of hope fill youwith all joy and peaceas you trust in him, so that you mayoverflow with hope by the power of the HolySpirit.

2 Cor 9:8 - And God is able to bless you abundantly, so thatinall things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound ineverygood work.

2 Cor 9:10- Now he who supplies seed to the sower and breadforfood will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlargetheharvest of your righteousness.

2 Thess 3:3 - But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthenyouand protect you from the evil one.

3 John 1:2 - Beloved, I wish above all things thatthou mayest prosper and be inhealth, even as thy soul prospereth.

Mymother and I bothrepented, lived holy lives, with clean hands and pure hearts.God was first loveand first priority. We prayed for at least 3 hours each andevery day, andstudied the Bible for at least 1 hour every day. Prayer was thevery first thingin the morning. Our faith was very strong. We strove to obeyGod's commandments,including keeping the Sabbath day holy. We attended Sabbathservices. We servedGod. Preached the true gospel. We both practicedabstinence, self-sacrifice and self-discipline,so we didn't spend money onholidays, restaurants or other pleasures. We weretruly faithful disciplesof Christ, by striving to live according to His word.Out of the little that wehad, we donated money to charities and helped homelesspeople. We were neverever involved in occultism. My mother was totally faithfulto my father inmarriage, although he was very abusive towards her. Although,she forgave himmany times, the abuse didn't stop. On the contrary, the more sheforgave, theworse the abuse became. It reached a point where she had no choicebut todivorce him. From then on, my mother never remarried. She lived the lifeof awidow for twenty years. We lived a very modest and quiet life. Wepracticedcelibacy and sexual abstinence. Our lives resembled those of nuns. Mymotherwas very protective of me and she taught me to pray since I was two yearsofage. While parents usually read fairy tale stories to their children, Isleptwith the Bible under my pillow, which I took with me to the private schoolthatmy mother enrolled me in, and I learned about God. We put so much faithandtrust in God and I feel like He has really let us down.

The verses in
Psalm 103:1-5 state:"Praise theLord,my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, mysoul,and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and healsall yourdiseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crownsyou withlove and compassion, who satisfies your desires with goodthings sothat your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. The Lord works righteousnessandjustice for all the oppressed."

My mother suffered fromcolorectal cancer which spread toher liver and kidneys, heart failure,pulmonary edema and anaemia, includingnumerous other medical issues. I wascompletely shocked, devastated andheartbroken when my mother passed away at anearly age, and I read her longmedical report, which went on and on. She was interrible pain and had nearfatal falls on a few occasions. Despite praying toGod continuously, from earlymorning until late at night, with fasting andbegging for my mother to behealed, my prayers returned unanswered. The more Iprayed and fasted, the worseher health became. It deteriorated so much that shewas bed-ridden for one yearand couldn't see the light of day. None of theseillnesses run on my mother'sside of the family. We both took care of our healthby drinking fruit andvegetable juices, exercising and more importantly,absolutely NO smoking, drugsor alcohol. While other people were celebratingMother's Day with gifts likecakes, chocolates and flowers, as well as diningwith their mothers atrestaurants or taking them on luxury cruises, my motherwas in the morgueawaiting cremation.

God's people are plagued byan entire series of extremelyserious illnesses—including a number of leadingpeople directly involved in thework. During the 1980's there was a huge numberof ministers wives that werestricken. It has always been a fact that wives ofso many ministers and churchleaders have been stricken by cancer.

In 2016,Cornerstone Contact Centre pastor Don Cameron died at the age of 45years,after a battle with cancer.

Jeffery Largent, pastor of Culver flock passed away in 2016, at the age of59years, after his second battle with cancer.

Church of the Highlands Greystone Campus Pastor Keith Lindsey passed awayin2016 after a lengthy battle with cancer.

Kara Tippetts, wife of PCA church pastor Jason Tippetts of Westside Church,inColorado Springs, Colorado, is a devout Christian mother of four, whohadstage-four breast cancer and passed away at the age of 38, in 2015, afteralong battle.

In 2014, Steve Hill, the evangelist of the Brownsville Revival, passed awayathis Alabama home Sunday after fighting a long battle with cancer. He was60years old.

LaKisha died in 2014, at the age of 40 after an 18-month battle withbreastcancer. She was the wife of Pastor Breonus Mitchell of Greater GraceTempleCommunity Church.

A Wesleyan pastor, Daniel “Danny” Eiler, age 30, passed away in 2014,afterbattling leukemia. He served as senior pastor of The Springs CommunityChurchin Ringgold, Georgia.

David Landrith, senior pastor of Long Hollow Baptist Church inHendersonville,died at age 51. Landrith was diagnosed with an extremely rareand aggressiveform of cancer known as colorectal melanoma in 2013.

In 2009, founder and pastor of Victory Christian Center in Tulsa,Oklahoma,Billy Joe Daugherty's battle with cancer took a turn for the worse ashe foughtan infection at Houston's M.D. Anderson Hospital. He passed away atthe age of57 years.

The list goes on and on ...

My mother's faith was verystrong right to thevery end when she passed away, and I wish to point out thefact thatI even called for the elders of the church to anoint my mother witholive oil,as the following scripture states in: James 5:14-15- Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders ofthe church to pray overthem and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.And the prayer offered infaith will make the sick person well; the Lord willraise them up. If they havesinned, they will be forgiven.

The scripture obviouslywasn't fulfilled in my mother's life who was a faithfulChristian, and the livesof many other faithful Christians.

As stated previously,God'spromises are not just found in the Old Testament, but reaffirmed in theNewTestament, as we read in James 5:14-15 as well as manyother scriptural references thatI've already quoted previously.

At the beginning of the chapter in
1 Cor 12, we read thatPaul isaddressing brothers and sisters. "Now about the gifts of theSpirit, brothersand sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed."

Verse 7-10 mentions:"Now to eachone themanifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one thereis giventhrough the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another amessage of knowledgeby means of thesame Spirit, to another faith by the sameSpirit,to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,to another miraculouspowers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishingbetweenspirits, to another speaking indifferent kinds of tongues,and to stillanother the interpretation oftongues. All thesearethe work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one,justas he determines."

One of the important ministries of the Holy Spirit to believers today, isHisbestowal of spiritual gifts on Christians at the time of their conversion.

Ephesians 2:10 mentions: "For we are God’shandiwork, created in ChristJesus to do good works, which God prepared inadvance for us to do."The only way we can do good works is if ourbodies arenot incapacitated or debilitated by pain, sickness or disease.

If gifts of healing and miracles are operating in the lives ofChristians inthese churches, then there would be NO sicknesses, suicides,and crimes such asmurder happening there.

Suicide is happening at analarming rate in the Churches of God with so manypastors committing suicide.

Living Church of God - Joplin, Missouri pastor Karl Beyersdorfer killedhimselfon 5/27/2016.

Others who committed suicide in the Worldwide Church of God are mentioned inthebelow article:
http://hwarmstrong.com/suicide-statistics.htm

The following verses refer to believers in Christ Jesus:

Mark 16:17-18 - And these signs willaccompany thosewho believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak innewtongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when theydrinkdeadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place theirhands on sick people, and they will get well.”
The following link displays an article on miracleworkers who couldn'theal themselves:

http://www.bible.ca/tongues-miracles-fake-pentecostal.htm

The list goes on and on.

The verse in
Exodus 20:12 states: “Honor your fatherand your mother, so that you may live long in theland the Lord your Godis giving you.It is reaffirmedin the New Testament in: Ephesians6:2-3-“Honor your father andmother”—which is the firstcommandment with a promise—“so that it may go wellwith you and that you mayenjoy long life on the earth.”

Psalm 90:10
tells us how many years a long life is:
"Our days may come to seventy years, or eighty, if our strengthendures;

During my lifetime, I've seen mothers who honoured their parents and yetlivedshort lives, like my mother who honored both her parents and grandparents.Onthe other hand, mothers who dishonoured their parents and yet lived to ripeoldages of over 80 years of age. There are even criminals, such as serialkillers,rapists and paedophiles who live long lives on the earth. While at thesame time,a shocking number of innocent people are sentenced to death. One ofthe ways inwhich we honor our parents is by having a clean criminal record.

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, "tells you thatasurprising number of innocent people are sentenced to death," SamuelR.Gross, the lead author, said in an interview with Newsweek. "It tellsyouthat a lot of them haven't been exonerated. Some of them no doubt havebeenexecuted." The headline on newsweek.com is "One in 25 sentencedtodeath in the U.S. is innocent, study claims."

Do all these convicted criminals deserve to live, and my mother who was agodly,holy, righteous mother deserve to die, along with all these otherdevoutChristians?

Charles Manson, the convicted American serial killer is still alive today attheage of 82 years. Charles Albright, known as the eyeball killer, is 83years. Thenurse Jane Toppan, a serial killer, lived to be 81 years of age.Edward TheodoreGein was an American murderer and body snatcher. He died at theage of 78 years.Ian Brady, the child killer is 78 years. Robert Hansen, theserial killer diedat the age of 75 years. Dennis Rader is 71 years of age.Phillip Jablonski,another serial killer is 70 years of age, and the list goeson and on.Incarcerated criminals enjoy the fresh air and sunshine with fitnessandrecreational activities, including sports, gym, pool tables and so forth.Theseprisons are more like holiday resorts.

Charles Manson, the ringleader of the killer cult still remains unrepentantevenat the ripe old age of 82 years, just like many other criminals. I'mpuzzled asto why God allowed all these criminals to live long lives. Was Hewaiting forthem to turn to Him and repent? But God has foreknowledge. We findinstead, thatthey committed more and more crimes, while growing old withoutany sign ofremorse?

Psalm 91:16 states: "With long life I willsatisfy him andshow him my salvation.” This verse is supposed tobereferring to devout believers. Instead, we see that the criminals are theoneswho are living long lives. Why would God want to satisfy scum of the earthwithlong lives?

The Bible also states that God has foreknowledge. Therefore, He knows inadvance whether anyone will repent.

Isaiah 46:9-10 - Remember the former things of old: forI amGod, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaringthe end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are notyet done, saying, Mycounsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

If God made us for a reason and that is to begin a relationship with, serveandobey Him, then why doesn't He grant long lives to those devout Christianswhodo good deeds. It is God who decides when we are born and how long weliveaccording to:

Psalm 139:16: "Your eyes saw my unformed body; allthe days ordained for mewere written in your book before one of them came tobe."

God is the one who planned the days of our lives inadvance, choosing the exacttime of our birth and death. This goes forcriminals too, as well as many
famousatheistswho have lived to ripe old ages including: Diana Athill (99),Katharine Hepburn(96), Baba Amte (94), Uri Avnery (93), Julius Axelrod (92),Marlene Dietrich(91), Kai Nielsen (90), Henry Burstow (90), Jorge Amado (89),Eric Ambler (89),Tom Lehrer (88), James Randi (88), Paul Kurtz (87), Edward O.Wilson (87), LarryAdler (87), Mary Adams (86), Jemima Blackburn (86), MichaelMartin (84), PhilipRoth (83), Steven Weinberg (83), Victor Stenger (81),Robert Altman (81), WoodyAllen (81), and many others.

The verse in
Isaiah 30:18 states that the Lord is a God ofjustice. "Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he willriseup to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed areallwho wait for him!" Where is the justice? I'mabsolutely appalled anddisgusted by the injustice not only in the Christiancommunity, but in the worldtoday. I believe these injustices promote andencourage evil all the more.

Many devout believers have been martyred who were very faithful to God,likeStephen and all of the twelve apostles who died as martyrs during thefirstcentury, with the exception of John, the writer of the Gospel with hisname andthe Book of Revelation who died a natural death, at 94 years of age,close tothe year 100 A.D.

A report issued by a Christian organization fighting religiouspersecutionstates that a Christian is killed for his or her faith every fiveminutesacross the world. It has escalated dramatically over the centuries, withmoreChristian martyrs in the 20th and 21st centuries than in the preceding19centuries — going back to Jesus Christ’s earthly ministry. The situation isonlygetting worse.

Over 75% of Christians persecuted in North Korea who are subjected totorture,imprisonment and all sorts of punishment do not survive to tell theirstories.

Currently, more than 200 million Christians around the world are threatenedbecauseof their faith. Is God pleased with martyrdom? Does it give Himsatisfaction tosee many Christians martyred for their faith. Does God considerit a sacrificethat brings glory and honour to Him, thereby pleasing andacceptable?

Thank you.

God bless you,
Rachel Henderson

Tags
bible , god , jesus , promises , scriptures

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search