Question about being Pagan

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2004, 01:35 PM
I Heart 4x4
Okay, I am really curious about this. Please don't take offense, I am really trying to educate myself here!!

From what I've read up on Paganism, it seems very natural and loving and .... "real" to me. At least, compared with a lot of other religions. But. I don't really agree with witchcraft - like ... saying spells and making witches brew is all good for Harry Potter ... but not something I would be into.

Is that apart of being Pagan or Wiccan?

*Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm genuinely interested.
September 12th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Pagan and Wiccan are two different things some people just are both. And actually being wiccan is nothing like Harry Potter, no witch brew or stuff like that lol.
And it's not a stupid question at all. A lot of people assume they are together but they are not. I know many pagans who want nothing to do with wiccan for some reason or another
September 12th, 2004, 01:51 PM
I Heart 4x4
Ah, okay. Sorry for the assumption! Just goes to show how much research I really need to do!

Okay, in a nutshell ... would it be possible for you to give a basic description of Pagan beliefs? Like - with Christianity the nutshell explaination would be there is one God, creator of Heaven and Earth, who had one son (Jesus) who died for humanity on the cross. We celebrate Jesus' birth on Christmas and his death/resurrection on Easter. That's my nutshell explanation of Christianity. Do you know what I mean?

LOL I hope that made sense.
September 12th, 2004, 02:11 PM
ranidae
Quote:
Originally posted by Ashley3303@Sep 12 2004, 02:51 PM
Ah, okay. Sorry for the assumption! Just goes to show how much research I really need to do!

Okay, in a nutshell ... would it be possible for you to give a basic description of Pagan beliefs? Like - with Christianity the nutshell explaination would be there is one God, creator of Heaven and Earth, who had one son (Jesus) who died for humanity on the cross. We celebrate Jesus' birth on Christmas and his death/resurrection on Easter. That's my nutshell explanation of Christianity. Do you know what I mean?

LOL I hope that made sense.
Actually Easter is originally a pagan holiday, Christianity in the early centuries while trying to stamp out paganism "stole" holidays and made them into "theirs"

Here is a sampleing of some info, I can look up more but right now I am working on something else
Christian origins

Christmas: Yule, Winter Solstice
Easter: Ostara, Oestre,Eostar
Groundhog Day: Imbolc, Candlemas,St. Brigit's (or Brigid)
Halloween: Samhain, Hallowmas
May Day: Beltane
September 12th, 2004, 02:19 PM
I Heart 4x4
Whoa. I didn't know that. Thanks!
September 12th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
lol ok a basic description of pagan beliefs is hard to do because there are different kinds of pagan, like differen kinds of christianity kind of. Like there's Hellenic pagan and Asatru, and other too. Let me find a friend and ask her how she would explain it in a nutshell, I'm liable to get you more mixed up. bbs with a hopefully easy to understand answer
September 13th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Christmas was also origionally a Pagan Holiday, Jesus was not born at Xmas. They don't know specifically when he was born but most speculation is in September-October. It was "moved" to December to try and convert Pagans to Christianity many moons ago.

There isn't much difference between a spell and prayer either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search