Children and Religion!

Forum: Spiritual Living

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Did you/Are you/Will you bring up your children following your current religion?
Yes, definitly from the get-go 6 54.55%
Yes - when they are "old enough", and only if they want to be 1 9.09%
I don't know if I will or not 0 0%
I did and I regret it 0 0%
No, my religion is my own 0 0%
I have no religion 1 9.09%
Other! 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spiritual Living LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2004, 10:15 AM
I Heart 4x4
Just curious!!
September 14th, 2004, 10:20 AM
I Heart 4x4
I answered "other" .... because as of right this minute, I don't really have one specific religion. I'm not Christian, although at one point I was considered one many years ago ... I'm not Pagan although I definitly am leaning this way ... I am not Jewish nor Catholic though I have studied both lightly .... I believe in life and nature and the elements and in love. THAT is my religion. LOL!

So, although for now I have no religion so-to-speak ... I will definitly be raising Danny and my other children with the same beliefs of respect, love, friendship and inner peace. Whether they decide to be Christian, Atheists, Catholic, Jewish, Pagan ... that is their choice!

My mom really pushed Christianity on me from the time I was a little girl, and I resent her for it now because I feel uncomfortable discussing religion with her - it's her way or the highway.
September 14th, 2004, 10:28 AM
TheGeneralsGal
Ashley I know so many people like your mom who are like that about Judaism. I am currently raising my children Jewish. If they want to be something else when they are older and can make that decision, fantabulous.
September 14th, 2004, 10:30 AM
OhClueless1
My children are free to decide for themselves whatever beliefs suit them best. I don't want to push a "religion" on them like my parents did to me. It just left me more confused in the long run.

They have been brought up so far to be openminded and tolerant.. Its the best I can do with what little I know. I just try to teach them right from wrong, to be respectful of other peoples beliefs, and to treat others with the same respect they wish to be treated with.
September 14th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I will let her choose when she's older and any of my future children can choose for themselves
September 14th, 2004, 12:03 PM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids have never been made go to church. (They go when they want to. )However we have always talked opennily about "GOD".
We are all "GOD" fearing people! We do not label ourselves with any one Religion.

My daughter & son-in-law are the same way with their sons. (my grandsons)

September 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We will absolutely be rasing our children in the Christian faith, in the Southern Baptist church, from the get-go. We plan to start taking our daughter right after she is born, and we will probably have her dedicated (different than baptism). If they choose something different when they get older, I can't stop them, but David and I would be very disappointed. Although, the Bible does say "raise your children in the way that they should go and they will not depart from it."
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

September 14th, 2004, 01:02 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not religous. I have not baptized Tyler. Jeramie believes in Chrisianity (I hope I spelled that right). When he gets older I plan on learning with him the basic different aspects of the major relgions so he can choose what he wants for himself.

September 14th, 2004, 01:20 PM
twinsmom26
I dont have a religion. I will be happy with whatever my sons choose. As long as they dont start lecturing me everyday on God say's this and God say's that. Then I think I might have a problem. I dont mind talking about God though! Just no lectures.
September 14th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Squirtsmama
Im raising Connor on my religion until/if he decides he wants to be something else.But I also plan on teaching him other religions so he can decide what he wants to be unfortunately the only buddist I knew was killed so I have to research that myself.
September 15th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, we definitely aren't church going folks here, but my DH and I differ on beliefs greatly. I consider him agnostic/atheist and he has no desire for any sort of religion in our lives. I on the other hand, like the word (that I think it was Ashley used somewhere) ambiguous. I was raised Catholic, and out of respect for my family, if I'm there for Easter/Christmas, we go to mass with them, but that's it.

I think for me, I'd like to raise our kids with a healthy respect for all religions, and let them decide for themselves when they are old enough if they want to join one.

September 16th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Texas Mom
I replied yes, from the get-go. My DD was in church 5 days after she was born! LOL! Some ppl at my own church freaked out on that alone! LOL! I'll raise my kiddos in the Catholic faith because that is what DH and I chose, but what is even more important to me is just that they have a relationship with God no matter if they go to church every Sunday or what church they go to or if I go there too. I'll NEVER shove any religion down their throat or make them feel guilty for not accepting mine...that is just not my mode of operation!
September 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I said yes from the get go because my "religion"(I prefer the term spirituality) is much more than woshipping something. I teach them about respecting and preserving the environment and Mother Nature. I teach them about paranormal, mythological, the gods/goddesses, crystals, auras, etc. IMO all of those things exist even if it is on a different plane.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search